Safe ways to fix dents in drivers?
Apr 11, 2019 at 5:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

viivo

100+ Head-Fier
I just noticed the right driver of my Sony MDR- z7 has a ding in it, no doubt from my fumbling with them. I tried to push it out from the back with a Q-tip and very light pressure, but I had no idea just how thin and fragile these diaphragms are. I stopped from fear of making it worse. Does anyone know a safer way to fix this?

Apr 11, 2019 at 6:04 PM Post #2 of 4
I just noticed the right driver of my Sony MDR- z7 has a ding in it, no doubt from my fumbling with them. I tried to push it out from the back with a Q-tip and very light pressure, but I had no idea just how thin and fragile these diaphragms are. I stopped from fear of making it worse. Does anyone know a safer way to fix this?
If it isn’t effecting the sound I wouldn’t mess with it you could easily damage them if you’re not careful.

Apr 12, 2019 at 5:31 AM Post #4 of 4
Get a plastic or wooden tool like a thin spudger with a flat edge like a flat-head screwdriver and cover the tip with a tiny piece of double-sided tape.
Gently press the tool into the dent, and pull the dent out.
Try pressing very gently at first, and pulling the tool off gently... if it doesn't work, press a tiny bit harder and pull the tool away a tiny bit faster.
After a few tries, it will pop out.

Done this a few times with zero failure rate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back