Safe volume test?
Mar 3, 2009 at 2:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Goit

500+ Head-Fier
For completely open headphones like the HD600 at least, are there some tests that you can do yourself without any specialized equipment to determine if you are listening below 80db?

Like if you take your headphones off, and can only hear very very faint sounds coming out of it when you are holding it 1 hand span away from your head.

Or that you can hear conversation around you, or the TV that's playing in the room?

Mar 3, 2009 at 4:15 PM Post #2 of 10
Tap with the fingers on the board/desk/keyboard in front of you.
Not sure about 80db, cause it will vary depending on the 'phone, but if you can hear the tapping its a 'safe' listening volume

Mar 3, 2009 at 4:57 PM Post #3 of 10
I tap as well. (lol?)
Just clap your hands of use your fingers. If you have a hard time hearing the sound turn the volume down.

Mar 3, 2009 at 5:12 PM Post #4 of 10
Quote:

but if you can hear the tapping its a 'safe' listening volume

I don't know about you, but when I tap my fingers on the desk, my fingers smash the desk. Just how loud is a finger tap? How much newtons of force to apply to a finger tap?

Mar 3, 2009 at 8:42 PM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Tap with the fingers on the board/desk/keyboard in front of you.
Not sure about 80db, cause it will vary depending on the 'phone, but if you can hear the tapping its a 'safe' listening volume

Is that hearing it all the time, or most of the time? Because most music have peaks of loudness somewhere during the track.

I can hear the typing on the keyboard much more clearly than tapping on wood, the wood seems to have an absorbing factor, where you hear a damp "thud" instead of a sharp "click" when you type on the keyboard.

Mar 3, 2009 at 9:16 PM Post #6 of 10
^ Between the peaks I would say.
Just a small guideline though. It works for me, but that does not say its the ideal volume for all people and all 'phones.

Mar 3, 2009 at 9:19 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Just a small guideline though. It works for me, but that does not say its the ideal volume for all people and all 'phones.

Great, I'm not listening too loud then.

Mar 4, 2009 at 1:03 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Goit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Great, I'm not listening too loud then.

Quote:

Re-read. It is only a very small indicator. I use the same but if your headphone is closed you won't hear you clapping at all. It all depends on the headphone and yourself.

Mar 5, 2009 at 1:44 AM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by apatN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Re-read. It is only a very small indicator. I use the same but if your headphone is closed you won't hear you clapping at all. It all depends on the headphone and yourself.

I said open headphones like the HD600. Since I hear it, I don't have to worry about anything, I only need to second guess if I don't hear the tapping whether the headphone is closed etc...

Mar 5, 2009 at 6:36 AM Post #10 of 10
Yeah, I am quite sure you're within a "safe" listening volume.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back