Safe volume level settings for XB500: Am I in danger?
Aug 11, 2012 at 2:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

anurag

New Head-Fier
My setup: Dell (Laptop) IDT Audio (Volume Control left at default 50%, fancy stuffs like SRS turned off) and equalizer set to this (may be too dull for others' taste).

I use MP3Gain to bring every track's average volume down to 89dB. I use WMP (again with all fancy controls disabled) to play the MP3s. Now since XB500 has low distortion, its very tempting to turn up the WMP volume level to 100%, I use 75-85% frequently. (This is like around 50-60% volume on WMP on non-normalized tracks, showing usually 'Clipping=Y',and 97-98dB in MP3Gain). I listen mainly to electronic music (prog-trance, chillout but no dubstep) in quiet environment, 4-5 hours per day.

Am I safe? XB500 owners please give opinions. (Obviously I don't want to buy an SPL meter)

Aug 11, 2012 at 3:01 PM Post #2 of 5
An SPL meter is $25. How much is your hearing worth to you?

Aug 11, 2012 at 4:32 PM Post #4 of 5
So you mean it corresponds to 50-60% volume without mp3gain and unamped?  

For reference, I would use 38~39% unamped from my computer onboard Realtek chip. Assuming it can be compared, it would definitely be what I'd concider slightly on the unsafe side for that many hours a day but since it's not the same source it's not 100% accurate to compare just like that. I try to stick as low volume as possible that satisfies me fully though and use a fixed volume so I always try to use this exact same setting. To get used to a fixed volume setting you avoid going louder cuz the music sounds so good, if you keep vary the volume the slightly lower volume won't be as satisfying but if you get used to it and stick to it, it will sound OK and your ears will thank you in the end and you might even start to appriciate lower volume listening.

Aug 11, 2012 at 9:06 PM Post #5 of 5
I really like your sarcastic reply!

I was being sincere.

You're obviously concerned you might be listening too loudly, or you wouldn't have asked the question. $25 could save your hearing, and it will at least give you peace of mind.

If you're really set against buying a meter, here's a rough indicator: a finger snap at arms length peaks at around 100-110 dB.* Permanent hearing loss can occur at 90-95 sustained dB. If you can't hear your fingers snap at arms length while listening to your music, you may be listening at dangerous levels.

* http://books.google.com/books?id=MZDu1Sti69kC&lpg=PA188&ots=8anlFSiSFw&dq=decibels%20level%20snapping%20fingers&pg=PA188#v=onepage&q&f=false

Users who are viewing this thread

Back