Safe to use this?
Jul 28, 2016 at 1:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

mikey1964

500+ Head-Fier
Hi guys, I'd just gotten this delivered to me, was all excited about using it as I have a few 4pin Balanced XLR cables for some of my cans. Usually, these balanced cable are for use on my Oppo HA-1, but I'd like to use these cables on my Gustard H10 as well (yes, I'm in a lazy rut, too lazy to swap out Balanced cables for SE ones). My question is, is it safe to use? I ask because I don't wanna run the risk of blow out my cans and/or Gustard H10 and Fostex HPA4 (SE one, NOT the Balanced model). Oh yeah, here's a pic of the adapter:

I've been told by Shenzhenaudio (maker of this cable) that the internal wiring for the adapter is:

1left +
2left -
3right +
4right -

I see these numbers on the connector of the 4pin Balanced XLR plug, must be how the cables are wired from the SE plug to the 4pin Balanced XLR plug.....I think.

Jul 28, 2016 at 3:54 PM Post #2 of 4
I've been told by Shenzhenaudio (maker of this cable) that the internal wiring for the adapter is:

1left +
2left -
3right +
4right -

I see these numbers on the connector of the 4pin Balanced XLR plug, must be how the cables are wired from the SE plug to the 4pin Balanced XLR plug.....I think.

I don't think that is how the cables are wired from the SE plug to the 4pin, as I don't see any references to the ring, tip, or sleeve of the 1/4 jack, unless left + means tip, left - and right - mean sleeve, and right + means ring. Only sure way to know is via a multimeter, I suppose. You'd want to make sure the tip goes to pin 1, the ring goes to pin 3, and the sleeve goes to pins 2 and 4.

In any case, 1/4 inch to 4-pin xlr adapters are fairly common and I can't imagine Shenzhenaudio would screw something like that up.

Jul 28, 2016 at 4:05 PM Post #3 of 4
How would it blow out your headphones? These adapters are rather common, and I've never heard of something like that happening due to an adapter. Just start at minimum volume and gradually increase to your desired level.

Jul 28, 2016 at 5:30 PM Post #4 of 4
Hi guys, I'd just gotten this delivered to me, was all excited about using it as I have a few 4pin Balanced XLR cables for some of my cans. Usually, these balanced cable are for use on my Oppo HA-1, but I'd like to use these cables on my Gustard H10 as well (yes, I'm in a lazy rut, too lazy to swap out Balanced cables for SE ones). My question is, is it safe to use? I ask because I don't wanna run the risk of blow out my cans and/or Gustard H10 and Fostex HPA4 (SE one, NOT the Balanced model). Oh yeah, here's a pic of the adapter:

1left +
2left -
3right +
4right -

That is the pin out of the XLR connector. That cable is just fine. I like to make my own cables and I have made one of these also and that is the pin out for the XLR and the TRS is tip L+ ring R+ and both negatives go to the sleeve.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back