Safe for DAC to burn-in 24/7?
Jul 10, 2009 at 12:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

backtoreality15

100+ Head-Fier
I just received my SVDAC06 and I want burn-in to be done as soon as possible. Is it safe to just leave it on 24/7? Should I give it breaks?

Jul 10, 2009 at 1:02 AM Post #2 of 9
Yes, it's safe to leave it on. Though I'd try not to leave it unattended for the first couple of days, just in case something isn't quite right.

~Phewl.

Jul 10, 2009 at 1:17 AM Post #3 of 9
I have max left it on during the night and switched it off when I leave for office. I dont see a problem if in case you are around to monitor in case it becomes too hot. But my Pro-ject dac is stone cold even after extended periods of usage. How is the Musiland treating you? Our friend Aiml3ss is off on a vacation and is not able to elaborate more than an initial review.

Jul 10, 2009 at 1:21 AM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by rjoseph /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have max left it on during the night and switched it off when I leave for office. I dont see a problem if in case you are around to monitor in case it becomes too hot. But my Pro-ject dac is stone cold even after extended periods of usage. How is the Musiland treating you? Our friend Aiml3ss is off on a vacation and is not able to elaborate more than an initial review.

I'm no audiophile, but the sound thus far is definitely more crisp but not harsh. I can pick up details in certain songs that I wasn't able to before. It sounds more expansive too, like the sound is larger. Money well spent.
darthsmile.gif
Hopefully I can offer more words after break-in and more use.

PS: The head-amp is quite powerful. I can't go more than 15/30. The bass is pretty wavering & not tight at all, but I am sure it will tighten up.

Jul 10, 2009 at 1:27 AM Post #5 of 9
I'm not an audiophile too. But I appreciate good music when I listen to one. Enjoy it and let us know what you hear after you have had time to burn in.

Jul 10, 2009 at 6:46 AM Post #6 of 9
i heard it will also be better if after say 5 to 10 hours of burn in, then let the DAC rest for say few hours. in this way, all the components in the DAC will be cooled down and reformed to better state, i heard it is after each cooling down, then we will hear the effect of burning in.

given say 2 identical set of DAC to do a test of burning in.

1) set 1 burn in 24/7

2) set 2 burn in 5 to 10 hours each time with rest period of few hours.

after 1 week, i guess set 2 will perform better. This is what i heard from others, not sure true or not, you may what to give a test.

Jul 12, 2009 at 12:44 AM Post #7 of 9
My DAC was monitored for the first 24 hours, then left on 24/7. Has been powered off twice since January, I think...

If it's good for the first few hours, and from a reputable source, the chances are it'll work very well for many hours to come.

~Phewl.

Jul 12, 2009 at 1:02 AM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by backtoreality15 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just received my SVDAC06 and I want burn-in to be done as soon as possible. Is it safe to just leave it on 24/7? Should I give it breaks?

Mine was on for 7 days straight when I was on vacation. Came back and it was only slight warm. I think its fine to leave the thing on 24/7.

Quote:

Its on the way my friend. Just got back and haven't had time to sit down, relax, listen to the music and write a review. I will have it done sometime this week.
biggrin.gif
Thats a promise.

Quote:

PS: The head-amp is quite powerful. I can't go more than 15/30. The bass is pretty wavering & not tight at all, but I am sure it will tighten up.

I somewhat agree with you on that. Sure its not the tightest bass around but it sure beats the hell out of the laptop jack.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back