Safe Computer Temperatures???
Dec 26, 2005 at 4:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

Fickle-Friend

500+ Head-Fier
I recently sold my apple mac mini and came back to Windows albeit for a short time only. I decided I'd buy another cute lil computer, namely the ASUS Pundit. Oh how wrong I was to part with my hard earned on this horrid thing.

I didnt realise that the apple mini is a work of art both inside and outside and that a PC of a similar size would have heat issues. Well....

My darn fan was soo noisy I decided to chuck it out and get another one, now my whole computer is showing fairy high temps. Currently the PC sits naked near the window.

My Motherboard temp = 47 degrees C / 116 degrees F
My CPU temp = 61 degrees C / 141 degrees F

Now are these safe? Computer seems to be working fine!

Dec 26, 2005 at 4:53 PM Post #2 of 28
While your CPU can definitel withstand those temps, I definitely consider those temps, both of them, very high. Personally I would never allow my CPU temp to rise about 55C and to have a case temp that high for me would be astounding. How are you getting your temps? Are you going by a motherboard utility or are you using an external program like Speedfan or Motherbaord Monitor ??

What kind of cooling do you use? How well is your room ventilated? If yopu want to stick to air cooling I'd get a nice HSF from Zalman or Thermalright (you'll need a seperate fan for this) and your temps should go down by quitea bit. Depending on your case you might want to ammend that as well.

Dec 26, 2005 at 5:47 PM Post #3 of 28
Yeh, that's pretty high. I have mine overclocked and on stock cooling and its only @ 40

The small case is probably your problem, since the components probably have no room to breath at all (judging by the mobo temps). In that case, any fan probably won't help, cause it'll just be blowing hot air unto the processor

What kind of processor are you running?

Dec 26, 2005 at 6:23 PM Post #5 of 28
I would get a new cooler for your CPU. It sounds like the one currently on there either isn't doing its job or isn't making proper contact. 60°C is about where damage will start happening to the chips.

Dec 26, 2005 at 6:46 PM Post #7 of 28
At my work, we had a liquid cooled G5 that ran both its processors at 170-180 degrees F.

Now that thing was loud.

We had it replaced with the new liquid cooled version which dosent go over 160-170.

Dec 26, 2005 at 6:49 PM Post #9 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by IstariAsuka
60C will NOT hurt your chip. They're designed to withstand higher temps than that.

I agree with that staement. That said, I also think that with the cooling solutions available these days there's really no reason for a CPU to be running this hot. My CPU runns about 40C and about 55 under full load, and I have a Prescott.

Dec 26, 2005 at 6:52 PM Post #10 of 28
Quote:

My darn fan was soo noisy I decided to chuck it out and get another one, now my whole computer is showing fairy high temps. Currently the PC sits naked near the window.

therein lies the problem.

What is the replacement fan and what was the original ?

If you're looking for quiet get panaflo fans. Preferably 120mm but 80 is fine.

Make sure it's setup properly. Say if you have a fan on the front and a fan on the back, don't have them both doing the same thing, ie. intake or exhuast. It ideally should be setup so that ambient temp air is drawn in, passed over the critical components, such as RAM, CPU and GPU and then expelled where it's not going to be drawn back in straight away. If you only have one fan, have it doing exhuast, an exhuast fan will draw air in by itself. Having an intake fan does have advantages but can also create problems.

For the CPU heatsink. I'd say get it off, get some AS5 and a good heatsink. The ones PFKMan23 mentioned would do nicely.

Dec 26, 2005 at 7:37 PM Post #12 of 28
I'd be concerned if you were running 60c on the A64 in your sig.

For the P4, no worries.

edit: since you put a new fan on, you could quickly double-check that you put it on correctly. some are designed to suck air out and away from the heatsink, but most should be blowing directly onto the heatsink. what fan is it? you could try flipping it around. (this is assuming that the fan you replaced was the CPU fan.. or was it a case fan?)

edit edit: is the 60c you're getting under load? or no? if it is NOT under load, then it seems a bit high.

edit edit edit: as asked previously, what utility are you using to get the temps? is it configured properly?

Dec 26, 2005 at 9:27 PM Post #14 of 28
Any temperature which doesn't cause crashes is fine. Seriously. OK, theoretically speaking, a CPU running at 70 will die sooner than one running at 40, but frankly, they'll both last far longer than you'll ever actually want to use them, so I honestly wouldn't sweat it.

I'd say run a CPU stress test (superpi, cpuburn, folding, whatever) for a few hours, if the system doesn't hang and the app doesn't crash, quit worrying.

fan3: 1654 RPM (min = -1 RPM, div = 8) ALARM
CPU Temp: +61°C (low = +15°C, high = +80°C) sensor = diode
M/B Temp: +56°C (low = +15°C, high = +70°C) sensor = diode

that's my Shuttle right now.

Dec 26, 2005 at 9:45 PM Post #15 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fickle-Friend
This is she! A Hottie, literally!

Also, don't forgetthat there's a hell of a lot of heat producing electronics crammed in that 'lil case!
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back