Sadface on my ipod...need a new music player
Jun 24, 2009 at 4:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

johnnq

New Head-Fier
my 4th gen color ipod shows a sadface....and doesn't turn on. really unfortunate how many ipods die.

I'm looking for any decent mp3 player around the $200 range. Are ipods really the best on the market? Is their failure rate any better from previous generations?

Jun 24, 2009 at 6:10 AM Post #2 of 16
The ipod 4th gen with the color screen was introduced in September 2004 and discontinued in October 2005. You got around 4 years of use with it. That's fairly reasonable I'd say. Ipods are certainly not the best, but there are advantages in having the world's most popular DAP.

If you put your ear up to it, do you hear a clicking noise?

Have you tried a system restore, if you can't hear a clicking noise?

What is your music ripped in? ie AAC or MP3

Is gapless playback important to you?

Jun 24, 2009 at 4:09 PM Post #3 of 16
If you put your ear up to it, do you hear a clicking noise?
Yes. It sounds like a slighting tapping maybe 4 taps/second until the sadface appears.

Have you tried a system restore, if you can't hear a clicking noise?
My computer doesn't recognize the ipod now...it just shows the battery charging symbol

What is your music ripped in? ie AAC or MP3
Mostly mp3, but my classical is wav or aiff.

Is gapless playback important to you?
yes

thanks for the help

Jun 24, 2009 at 8:09 PM Post #5 of 16
4 years is good?? my 15 year old walkman still works
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 24, 2009 at 10:13 PM Post #6 of 16
Flash-based players should give you years of enjoyment, due to the lack of moving parts. Probably the first thing to go on those types of players will be the battery.

Since you mentioned you are mostly MP3, I would have recommended a Cowon D2/D2+, but it doesn't support gapless yet. For a little more than $200, you could get an 8GB iPod Touch.

Jun 24, 2009 at 11:11 PM Post #8 of 16
Yes, if it is just the HDD you can just replace it with a new one and you will not even need a new player! Hell while you are in there you could maybe even pull off a DIY mod or even a battery upgrade lol

Jun 24, 2009 at 11:51 PM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by zeroibis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, if it is just the HDD you can just replace it with a new one and you will not even need a new player! Hell while you are in there you could maybe even pull off a DIY mod or even a battery upgrade lol

One of my neighbors just had a 4G die on him - I was convinced that it was the battery, going on the symptoms. But, after buying a cheap eBay battery for him, it did not fix it.

My point is that it will be a risk to replace the HDD, if the OP is not 100% certain that it's the root cause. And the only way to know for sure is to have a second player to use as a baseline.

Jun 25, 2009 at 1:57 AM Post #10 of 16
I had this on a 3 & 4 gen. Have you tried giving it a sharp hit? I dropped mine and I got the face. After trying everything, I read that the read arm gets stuck. The suggestion was to give it a slight jolt on the corner by rapping it again on a hard surface. I was able to get them both working again and are in use today.

Jun 25, 2009 at 3:45 AM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Camper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had this on a 3 & 4 gen. Have you tried giving it a sharp hit? I dropped mine and I got the face. After trying everything, I read that the read arm gets stuck. The suggestion was to give it a slight jolt on the corner by rapping it again on a hard surface. I was able to get them both working again and are in use today.

I LOVE YOU

gave it a bang on the desk and it magically turns on and works again!

Jun 25, 2009 at 9:13 AM Post #13 of 16
I still wish Trekstor would come out with a 32GB flash Vibez DAP. Guess it's never going to happen.

Jun 25, 2009 at 2:08 PM Post #14 of 16
It is a joy to have it suddenly show all your music. It will still have bouts with sticking but this should help clear it.

Jun 25, 2009 at 2:11 PM Post #15 of 16
Strange, I'm missing some songs that I deleted a little while ago...and some are now back...I even deleted them off my computer.

Hard drive problem?? I guess the files weren't overwritten when I deleted them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back