SACD's at Best Buy
Aug 6, 2005 at 2:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

dmb367

100+ Head-Fier
I was thinking of going and picking up the Sony SACD player at best buy; I think the model is CE595 or something. So I want to get a SACD or two while I'm there to try out. Do they have a section of SACD at your local Best Buy? I've been to one already that doesn't.

Also could you recommend a great SACD to try out? I like fast music...

Aug 6, 2005 at 2:24 PM Post #2 of 12
Well, many of the Best Buys near where I live have pretty much let the SACD/DVD-A section die a slow death. I think that they're getting out of the business.

Aug 6, 2005 at 2:39 PM Post #4 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by dmb367
Also could you recommend a great SACD to try out? I like fast music...

What is fast music?
icon10.gif

Considering that the selection might be... small... what would likely be there.. . Peter Gabriel - So; Dire Straits - Brothers in Arms; Roxy Music - Avalon..

Aug 6, 2005 at 2:49 PM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

I like fast music...

Man, I tell ya, maybe you should consider DVD-A for high rez instead. There just isn't much on SACD. DVD-A has much more newer stuff, especcially in the form of Dual Discs.

By reading your profile, I would consider the The Downward Spiral Deluxe Edition by Nine Inch Nails. It sounds fantastic and songs like "March of the Pigs" really showcase the strengths of SACD.

Aug 6, 2005 at 3:20 PM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oliver :)
What is fast music?
icon10.gif

Considering that the selection might be... small... what would likely be there.. . Peter Gabriel - So; Dire Straits - Brothers in Arms; Roxy Music - Avalon..

Yeah I know thats vague, but I didnt want to say I like trance or rock and then get some good SACD discounted. I dont know, I just like music. bah
biggrin.gif

Aug 6, 2005 at 3:24 PM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Yeah I know thats vague, but I didnt want to say I like trance or rock and then get some good SACD discounted. I dont know, I just like music. bah
biggrin.gif

You may want to go to the good place
http://www.sa-cd.net/
and have a look at what is available before you jump this ship. I didn't do it, and it can be disappointing. So I just broadened my musical horizon and developed my taste, again
cool.gif

Depending upon whether you really like to explore music or not, SACD may or may not be your thing.

Aug 6, 2005 at 8:17 PM Post #9 of 12
Don't spend any more on an SACD than on a regular CD. It's just a trick to get you to pay more for decent mastering. There is no reason why regular CDs can't sound just as good.

See ya
Steve

Aug 6, 2005 at 9:01 PM Post #10 of 12
Well, sure enough, no SACD section. I looked around for a while but eventually decided that I wasn't really ready to plunk 150 for a mediocre player. I think I'm going to start saving for a DAC instead.
rolleyes.gif

Aug 7, 2005 at 12:23 AM Post #11 of 12
Yeah, multi-channel at BB is going bye-bye. The newest one in St. Louis doesn't even carry them or DVD-A. Guy there tries selling me on DualDisc, which I tell him that 9 out of 10 times they suck. Anyway, probably the best known and one of the best mixed SACDs, and one of the best to show off a 5.1 system would be Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon. As someone else mentioned, I liked the NIN SACD a lot as well. They really shake things up on the mix. I also picked up Incubus - A Crow Left of the Murder, but haven't really given it a good listen. Now, on the DVD-A side, the new Crystal Methond - Legion of Boom sounds wicked on a good 5.1 system. Haven't tried it through headphones yet, but I really like that album a lot on DVD-A.

Aug 8, 2005 at 3:28 PM Post #12 of 12
I second the Dark side of the moon recommendation, it's one of the best on SACD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back