SACDP Questions/Suggestions >$2000.
Jan 24, 2007 at 12:16 AM Post #16 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by tom hankins /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Go to www.audiogon.com and look under Sony for the SCD-1. Use it for SACD and run a digital cable out to your DAC for redbook. After owning many models and looking many years, the SCD-1 is still an amazing SACD player. They are not as good on redbook though.

any thought on Sony quality in your experience?

Jan 24, 2007 at 12:34 AM Post #17 of 44
Quote:

Go to www.audiogon.com and look under Sony for the SCD-1. Use it for SACD and run a digital cable out to your DAC for redbook. After owning many models and looking many years, the SCD-1 is still an amazing SACD player. They are not as good on redbook though.

No listings currently for SCD-1's for sale, but I will keep an eye out.

Jan 24, 2007 at 12:39 AM Post #18 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjhatfield /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No listings currently for SCD-1's for sale, but I will keep an eye out.

They dont last to long. I see the two for sale are both sold. keep checking.

Jan 24, 2007 at 12:41 AM Post #19 of 44
someone is selling one on this forum..cough..cough.....also selling his sunfire amp, a BAT balanced preamp and his nice rosewood speaker
smily_headphones1.gif

his SCD-1 looks new!

Jan 24, 2007 at 12:43 AM Post #20 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by chesebert /img/forum/go_quote.gif
any thought on Sony quality in your experience?

The sonics of the SACD playback is still right up there. The build quality on mine has never had a single problem. I got it from original owner and used it for no telling how many hours both for sacd and as a transport into a DAC for redbook. The person who has it now is local and it still has never had any problems. As far as how it looks...AS GOOD AS ANY PIECE OF AUDIO GEAR HAS EVER LOOKED!!! So over built it and so conservative looking. Just beautiful.

Jan 24, 2007 at 12:44 AM Post #21 of 44
Quote:

someone is selling one on this forum..cough..cough.....also selling his sunfire amp, a BAT balanced preamp and his nice rosewood speaker
smily_headphones1.gif

his SCD-1 looks new!

That is my old player. So were the speakers.

Jan 24, 2007 at 2:33 AM Post #22 of 44
Quote:

smily_headphones1.gif

his SCD-1 looks new!

PM Sent.
wink.gif

Jan 24, 2007 at 2:51 AM Post #23 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjhatfield /img/forum/go_quote.gif
PM Sent.
wink.gif

Ouch! Missed it by one hour.
icon10.gif

Probably for the best, I haven't had the time to do enough research yet, and my rash decisions usually aren't the best.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 24, 2007 at 3:22 AM Post #24 of 44
Hi. I just bought a used Exemplar modded Denon 2900 from audiogon for under $2000 after listening to one at two different meets. Great sound for the money. I think they run $3500 if new. Turns out another local head-fier bought one as well two days earlier. There are now four in the Fl contingent's stash of gear (that I know of). There are some pretty great reviews out there if you want to check around (audiogon threads included), and the Fl folks who own them have some pretty good ears and a taste for high-end gear. Mine does't arrive 'til Thurs., but I'm going tomorrow to listen to my friend's to get yet another preview of what will soon be mine.

Jan 24, 2007 at 9:21 AM Post #25 of 44
Send jpelg here at head-fi and see if he still has his Modwright Sony 999es player for sale. Last I saw it was 1400.00. These players are as good as anything I have heard or owned up to around the $5K range. You can also look on audiogon under modwright. Or google there are many reviews on them.

Jan 24, 2007 at 11:25 AM Post #26 of 44
I auditioned the Ayre Acoustics C-5xe and I now own the Denon DVD 5910ci. In my humble opinion, the differences between these two units are noticeable in that CD and SA-CD performance comes down to increased dynamics, rhythm, treble extension, and bass attack, but they are not worlds apart at least when comparing through the RCA jacks. I almost went with the C-5xe, but the 5910ci is available at a much lower price point and it has the best standard definition DVD-Video playback available as well. Fortunately, Stereophile and The Absolute Sound give both units top reviews and awards in their 2006 recommended components / products in the digital source category. The 5910ci is Class A audio and video in one box and I do not regret my decision to buy it (even with the hassles I had to go through with to acquire mine on eBay from a disreputable seller). If you are into it, the 5910ci can be heavily modified for "improved performance."

Jan 24, 2007 at 3:28 PM Post #27 of 44
Quote:

Send jpelg here at head-fi and see if he still has his Modwright Sony 999es player for sale. Last I saw it was 1400.00. These players are as good as anything I have heard or owned up to around the $5K range. You can also look on audiogon under modwright. Or google there are many reviews on them.

Sale pending on jpelg's 999es.
tongue.gif
Missed another one. I did do a google and read some reviews, looks like a fantastic player with the mods. I'm also still drawn to the overall good looks and top loading mechanism of the SCD-1 though. Man that thing would look fantastic on my desk.
cool.gif

Well, I've got a few rock solid suggestions to go on now, any others feel free to throw my way. Thanks for all your input.

Jan 24, 2007 at 4:05 PM Post #29 of 44

Users who are viewing this thread

Back