SACDMODS 555es Owners: Upgrading anytime soon?
Dec 22, 2003 at 7:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Dimitri

100+ Head-Fier
It seems that the sacdmods sony 555es is the ultimate value in high-end sacd sources. I am considering tracking down a 555es and having the mods done. But does anyone see a better deal in sacd playback potentially emerging in the next 6 months or so? Should I just replace my ns500v with the 555es now? I want to buy a source i'll keep for a couple years at least...

Thanks alot,

Dimitri

Dec 22, 2003 at 8:24 PM Post #2 of 11
heh, everyone say's "keep for a years", funny how years become months, or weeks ; ).

I'm real happy with mine right now, i'll let you know should my mind ever change. On occasion they do pop up on for sale forum, actually recently 3 came up, i was lucky enough to snag one of em.

Just keep your eyes peeled, and be a relentless shopper, you shall get what you want: ]

Dec 22, 2003 at 8:27 PM Post #3 of 11
Dimitri:
You might want to wait until I've finished being the Guinea Pig on Sony's replacement model. I just purchased the new DVPNC555ES and it should be delivered to Matt Anker at SACDmods.com tomorrow. Matt will be evaluating it for modding potential and if it looks like a worthy replacement for the discontinued SCD-C555ES or even the SCD-C222ES then I'll give him the green light to give it the Hot Rod treatment.

FYI: I purchased my DVPNC555ES here:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...490&category=5

Assuming the project’s a go, I should have the modded player delivered here in Ottawa early in the New Year and will post my impressions. Since I'm a relative newby to HeadFi, I'll enlist some more experienced local HeadFiers to give it a listen and put in their two cents worth.

My original intent (and budget) was to pick up a used 222ES for modding however they were getting snapped up wherever I turned to make a bid. I got impatient and figured I’d take a chance on this new model.

I asked Matthew Anker his opinion on the replacement model and he e-mailed me this response:
“The NC555ES seems to be a very nice player. I looked at one at a local
dealer, and it was very impressive for a DVD capable machine. It was
heavy! Nice build quality.

I think its circuitry is going to be very similar to the 222ES in the
analog output stage. I have been looking for a service manual, but my
normal supplier seems to be missing in action. Either way, I am so
familiar with the Sony designs that I could modify it without the
manual.

If you wanted to get one, then I'd be happy to work on it. I was
planning to get one to develop a mod anyway. If you'd like to be the
first guy to get a modified NC555ES, then let me know. You have nothing to lose since if I break it I buy it.

Thanks!

-Matthew Anker
www.SACDmods.com
matthew.anker@verizon.net

The NC555ES has DVD capability … something that makes no difference to me whatsoever but shouldn’t be viewed as a negative. Having that added feature made it a lot easier to justify this expense to my wife (the TV addict) so, even if it never plays a single DVD, it’s a great plus.

I’m hoping that after Matt works his magic on it, my NC555ES will equal or even surpass the discontinued models. Time will tell …

Peter

Dec 22, 2003 at 8:35 PM Post #4 of 11
Not in the foreseeable future (say next 2 years or so). If you wait to get a new player coming out, obviously you'll be paying full retail (or close) for it. The $1600 555ES goes for $500-$800 used now, so it might represent a better value. I obviously can't coment on the DVPNC555ES I've only seen photos, but do bear in mind that part of the cost of that player is to give it a video section, video outputs, processors, and all the Dolby Digital, DTS stuff too. SCD-555ES is pure audio device.

Mark

Dec 22, 2003 at 8:43 PM Post #5 of 11
Peter,

Thanks for the info on the new Sony unit. Count me in on the list of those eagerly awaiting what you have to say about this unit after it has been modded. I wish you all the best with it and that it exceeds your expectatios in every way.

Keep us posted as you hear from Matthew about the mod-ability of this new unit. It'd also be nice to hear his opinion about whether it is indeed an improvement over the 555ES like MarkL has. Find discontinued models is getting harder and harder, so a current production one is a better option for most.

Dec 22, 2003 at 9:49 PM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by markl
Not in the foreseeable future (say next 2 years or so). If you wait to get a new player coming out, obviously you'll be paying full retail (or close) for it. The $1600 555ES goes for $500-$800 used now, so it might represent a better value. I obviously can't coment on the DVPNC555ES I've only seen photos, but do bear in mind that part of the cost of that player is to give it a video section, video outputs, processors, and all the Dolby Digital, DTS stuff too. SCD-555ES is pure audio device.

Mark

Mark:
I think you're right about there being "no free lunch". I'm just hoping that Sony didn't make too many compromises in the audio section in order to squeeze in the video stuff.

Matt has yet to look under the hood but his initial guess is that this is more a replacement for the 222ES than the 555ES:

"I think its circuitry is going to be very similar to the 222ES in the
analog output stage. I have been looking for a service manual, but my
normal supplier seems to be missing in action. Either way, I am so
familiar with the Sony designs that I could modify it without the manual.”

Given the intense competition, each new design cycle presents the possibility to improve a product’s bang/buck ratio. It also presents the possibility for marketing types to cut corners while trading on the “ES mystique”. I’ve got my fingers crossed that the new machine’s audio section hasn’t been substantially altered and that Matt’s mods still work their magic.

Peter

Dec 22, 2003 at 11:14 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Given the intense competition, each new design cycle presents the possibility to improve a product’s bang/buck ratio.

Absolutely. It would be interesting to know how the DACs in the new player compare to those in the SCD-555ES. The 555ES had a second-generation DAC set that's was an improvement over that found in the SCD-333ES it's predecessor model. It's certainly possible this new player has newer (and *potentially*) better DACs than the 555ES. It will be interesting to get Matthew's thoughts.

Mark

Dec 23, 2003 at 4:57 AM Post #9 of 11
I'm a junior member (with a sacdmods.com modded ce-775) and I can say for sure that I won't be replacing it anytime soon
biggrin.gif

-dd3mon

Dec 23, 2003 at 5:49 PM Post #11 of 11
Resistance if futile, you will be assimilated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back