SACD?
Jan 24, 2003 at 1:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Apoptygma

100+ Head-Fier
Someone please explain what's the deal with SACD.
Do only CDP's dedicated to SACD play the format?

NAD C541i is on top of my source upgrade list, but I'll not make my move until I know enough about this new (or not so new?) format.

Thanks for input!

Jan 24, 2003 at 3:29 AM Post #2 of 15
Let me clear things up for you,

Only SACD players will play SACDs.
No regular CDP will play all SACDs.
A SACD player will play all regular CDs.
Some SACDs will play on regular players.
It's as simple as that.
biggrin.gif

But seriously, just read this:
SACD info FAQ

The NAD will not play SACD..

Jan 24, 2003 at 4:26 AM Post #3 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by chillysalsa

Only SACD players will play SACDs.

Some SACDs will play on regular players.
It's as simple as that.
biggrin.gif

[toungue in cheek]

[...checking the FAQ...]

So, only SACD players will play _ALL_ SACD's.

Thanks, chilly!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 24, 2003 at 6:56 PM Post #4 of 15
Man, Apoptygma, your explination sucked. lol

Let me try a little better.

SACD is short for Super Audio Compact Disc. It was designed by Philips and Sony. It's as the name implies, much higher quality than normal audio CD's. Thus it's called Supera Audio CDs. A SACD player is much like a DVD player on respect. All DVD players and All SACD players can play regular audio CDs.

A Super Audio CD is made up two main layers. The Super Audio part and a Regular CD audio part. Unlike DVDs a regular CD player can still play a SACD just not at SACD quality. An SACD is like two discs in one, the first layer is a regular cd which all CD players will be able to read. The quality is that of a regular cd. The Second layer is the Super Audio layer. And only SACD players can read that part.

Super Audio CD's were made so they could still be played in all regular CD players, just not at the Super Audio qualty. So go ahead and buy a SACD if you like that particular CD. It will still play in your regular CD players.

Still lost?... Well it's like this...

The laser in the CD player will only be able to read the first layer of the disc. So it will think it is a normal CD.

A Super Audio Player's laser is stronger and is able to read right through the first audio layer and be able to read the second layer, the much higher audio quality layer. It's also able to break up the audio better and do more complex and confusing things. Just think of it as SACD Players have a better laser and can read that second super layer.

Hope that helps explain most of it.

EDIT:
After some more readings, found out that only some SACDs can be read on normal CD players. Sorry. Called Hybrid SACDs. Guess I explained the concept of Hybrid SACDs. The information I orginally read from what looked like a Sony website stated differn't things then that of the link posted by whats his name above me.

Jan 24, 2003 at 7:07 PM Post #5 of 15
A few practical things. The Sony SACD players are usually very good CD players. I own a Sony SACD player (777 ES) that I use for CD's primarily (I only own 2 SACD's) and think it is a great CDP. It wouldn't bother me if SACD died in the sense that I would still have a nice CDP. The cheaper Sony SACD are also quite good. If I was looking for a CDP I would strongly consider one of them (plus you get the SACD capability thrown in).

There is currently a pretty poor choice for SACD's unless you like classical, old jazz, etc.. Hopefully this will change at some point - I am not holding my breath.

Lastly, Oade Brothers is a good place to buy Sony SACD players. They are an authorized Sony dealer, they give great service and they are as cheap as anyone.

Jan 24, 2003 at 8:04 PM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by Jim R
There is currently a pretty poor choice for SACD's unless you like classical, old jazz, etc.. Hopefully this will change at some point - I am not holding my breath.

Thanks for all the good points, Jim. I'm not erasing the NAD from my list yet.

Jan 24, 2003 at 10:48 PM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

A Super Audio CD is made up two main layers. The Super Audio part and a Regular CD audio part. Unlike DVDs a regular CD player can still play a SACD just not at SACD quality. An SACD is like two discs in one, the first layer is a regular cd which all CD players will be able to read. The quality is that of a regular cd. The Second layer is the Super Audio layer. And only SACD players can read that part.

Sorry, Clear...
This is half-correct. Only now are there widely-available dual-layer SACDs that will play on any player. Almost ALL SACDs are to be played back on SACDPs only. Many newer SACD releases also contain a separate CD layer that will play back on your regular CDP (but you don't get any of the sonic benefits of SACD). Best bet-- check the sticker on the disc and it will tell you if it's a dual-layer disc, unless it's the Rolling Stones re-issues which have no labelling whatsoever, look and smell like regular CDs, yet also have an SACD layer! These are "stealth SACDs" hiding out in the regular CD section. Unless you were "in the know" about the SACD layer, you wouldn't know at all.

Also, there are STEREO and MULTI-CHANNEL SACDs as well. Some also have a six-channel surround mix in full SACD glory, some have not been re-mixed for surround and only contain a regular stereo mix (in full SACD resolution of course). Also, not all players on the market have multi-channel playback, some of the better decks (although 1-3 years old now) are 2-channel only.

Also, some DVD players will play SACDs, most won't, but some will play both DVD-A and SACD, and these universal players are growing in number. Best bet-- look at the logos on the faceplate.

See, it's perfectly simple!
wink.gif

Mark
P.S. you can click on the link in my sig for a "lively" discussion of the new formats.

Jan 24, 2003 at 11:04 PM Post #9 of 15
Apoptygma i can assure you that there are no industrial SACDs
wink.gif

My Advice:go for the NAD

Jan 25, 2003 at 12:09 AM Post #10 of 15
mecano,

I'd suppose you're quite right about that, and I've been looking at that NAD for some time now...

Hell, maybe even my classical, jazz, rock, pop, country and blue-eyed soul discs will sound better on the C541i than on my twelve year old Yamaha!
biggrin.gif

Jan 26, 2003 at 4:03 AM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

I've been looking at that NAD for some time now

can you audition the NAD?
Don't dissmis SACD until you hear what you've been missing.
Philips has recently released a new SACD/DVD Upsampling CD player that has been getting alot of attention. You should be able to pick one up for around the same price as the NAD. There is/was a thread dedicated to this player. DV963SA I think.

Jan 26, 2003 at 4:50 AM Post #12 of 15
Yes, NAD is quite a regular brand around here, with good reputation for lasting quality. Sure, it's not SACD, but at least the C541i incorporates HDCD encoding. For whatever that's worth...

I'll look into the Philips. A strong selling point for me is that a player lasts for more than a few years. Of course, if SACD is the future as we know it, then a long lasting SACD player would be the most interesting.

Jan 26, 2003 at 6:15 AM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

A strong selling point for me is that a player lasts for more than a few years. Of course, if SACD is the future as we know it, then a long lasting SACD player would be the most interesting.

How much ya got to spend
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jan 26, 2003 at 9:24 PM Post #15 of 15
Oade Brotheres (oade.com) has great prices on SACD players.
I picked up my C555ES for $620, shipped, double boxed, and arrived in 2 or 3 days if i recall.

SACD is really a great format, and if you listen to any classical or jazz you will notice huge improvements. On the rock scene, there aren't too many titles availible yet, although there is the impending release of Dark Side of the Moon in march, the rolling stones remasters which are already availible, and some older billy joel, james taylor, etc.

You will also likely notice improvements in the playback of your redbooks CDs on an SACD player as well. If you check the Stereophile archives online and look at their reviews, I believe it was their opinion that the Sony 777 also posesses class A level redbook performance.

One thing I want to point out about the SACD hybrid discs:
it was mentioned that the normal cd player's laser doesnt penetrate deep enough into the disc to read the SACD layer; I don't think that is correct. It was my understanding that the SACD layer is the external layer and the CD layer is the internal layer. I am referencing a diagram on pg 12 of the booklet enclosed with Mahler's 6th (Telarc) which verifies this. the difference has not to do with the power of the laser, but the wavelength of light. The 780 nm CD laser light is transmitted through the first (DSD) layer to the cd layer, whereas the 650nm SACD laser light is reflected.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back