SACD vs regular CDP for CDs
Jul 20, 2001 at 4:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

MichaelN

New Head-Fier
I've been offered a chance to buy the well reviewed Sony SCD-C333ES SACD changer for $550 shipped (from a private seller). I know this is a good deal for this player, but I was wondering if my money would be better spent on a dedicated CD player or a DAC to upgrade my current CDP instead, if I'm mostly going to be listening to only CDs.

Currently, I'm using a cheap $99 Sony 5-CD changer that has an optical out, so I can add an external DAC if I want to. I've heard the 333ES also plays regular CD's very well - does it play them as well as other $500 CD players?

I figure SACD might be a great format for the future as well, so it might be worth it to get a quality player now...

Anyway, please help me decide what to do with my money.
smily_headphones1.gif

edit: changed title to make it more relevant

Jul 20, 2001 at 7:12 PM Post #3 of 24
My SACD player is hooked up to a dedicated headphone rig -- there's not a loudspeaker within 20 feet of it. For some folks (like me) who will likely not be doing multi-channel music listening, it's a good time to buy now (especially when $550 can get you an ES-quality player).

Jul 20, 2001 at 7:43 PM Post #4 of 24
I'm in the same boat as Jude--333 for headphone use only--so multi-channel isn't important. But redbook cd playback is important and on that score the 333 is really beginning to shine!
3 things persuaded me to get this player:
sound of regular cd's on the unit
5 changer
relatively inexpensive
it was not until my audition was over and my decision made, that i listened to a sacd---but that clinched it
wink.gif

you can get the player for $550 plus shipping at oades---if you have any reservations you really should audition the unit--i don't know if time is a factor on the deal you have been offered, but if you lose that deal taking the time to locally audition, you are only out the cost of shipping
recommendations from others are great, but in the final analysis, you're the one who will be listening to the unit--to me (for that kind of $) it's worth an audition----p.s., the denon dcm 370 comes highly recommended and is alot cheaper

Jul 20, 2001 at 10:03 PM Post #6 of 24
I'll be somewhat of a "last man stands" here and say no.
First a few facts about me:
I hate changers.
I have 250 Cds and not a single SACD.
I can not tell (can you) if SACD will be available as a format, say 2 years from now.

My point is, there is a format war going on and although SACD seems like the wining concept at the moment, no one knows how all this is gonna end up and so on... For 500 USD with a bit of hunting you can get a really nice second hand red book player, that I'm sure will play 16/44.1 discs better than the Sony changer. I've seen things like Musical Fidelidy A3 and Meridian 506.24 for example going for a just a bit over 500 bucks, now these are considered great machines and I don't believe the Sony will even be in the same league for a CD playback, not to talk about bult quality.
However, if you're planning to build a SACD collection and if you're a changer type of person give it a try. If you want a CD player mostly, look elsewhere.

Jul 20, 2001 at 11:54 PM Post #7 of 24
Quote:

Originally posted by blr
For 500 USD with a bit of hunting you can get a really nice second hand red book player, that I'm sure will play 16/44.1 discs better than the Sony changer. I've seen things like Musical Fidelidy A3 and Meridian 506.24 for example going for a just a bit over 500 bucks, now these are considered great machines and I don't believe the Sony will even be in the same league for a CD playback, not to talk about bult quality.
However, if you're planning to build a SACD collection and if you're a changer type of person give it a try. If you want a CD player mostly, look elsewhere.

blr, none of the CD players I listened to for $1000 or under were better standard CD players than the SCD-C333ES to my ears. I didn't audition the two you mentioned, but I did audition the Rega Planet 2000, Arcam Diva CD72, and an Arcam 7se. There are actually quite a few people on Audio Asylum who've given up the likes of Rega and even separate DAC systems after picking up a 333. If you haven't listened to one yet, I suggest you see if any dealers near you have one -- I think the 333 might surprised you.

Some links to Audio Asylum threads of interest:

http://www.audioasylum.com/forums/hi...ges/23651.html
http://www.audioasylum.com/forums/hi...ges/15163.html
http://www.audioasylum.com/forums/hi...ages/6293.html
http://www.audioasylum.com/forums/hi...ages/6294.html
http://www.audioasylum.com/forums/hi...ges/27130.html
http://www.audioasylum.com/forums/hi...sages/485.html
http://www.audioasylum.com/forums/hi...ges/18242.html

Jul 21, 2001 at 12:02 AM Post #8 of 24
Ther are just opinions, just buy what's right for you. Trust your ears, forget about what other people think. You'll have to live with it in the end and you are the one playing the music you like.

Otherwise you'll be upgrading every month! more frequent if you come in here more often!

Jul 21, 2001 at 6:07 AM Post #9 of 24
So tempting... I definitely am not going to get into multichannel audio at the moment, as I can't afford all the speakers and amplification, so this SACD player would be fine for my purposes should I decide to get it... sigh... I think I'll take the weekend to think about it.

Jul 22, 2001 at 2:15 AM Post #10 of 24
Thanks to you people I just spent more money
wink.gif

Since I'm in the process of getting a much better headphone amp, I needed to upgrade my source (you may remember my request for feedback in another thread). Well, I was in New York City for business and decided to stop into J&R's retail store to check out the Sony SCD-C333ES. It's much more impressive in person than in pictures. It's built like a tank -- it weighs over 30 pounds! Also, I found out it has a five-year warranty, which is amazingly long for an electronics device. I wasn't able to demo it in a good environment, unfortunately, but I decided to rely on the recommendations here and in reviews (like the Stereophile review I mentioned above).

Anyways, after some back-and-forth (which included mentioning the $550 price at Oades), I was able to buy the C333ES for $525, plus $21 shipping. Since I had it shipped to California, there was not tax. They also threw in a free J&R 50th Anniversary t-shirt.

Total cost: $546 (including a free t-shirt)
wink.gif
Plus I have 30 days to evaluate it.

I also went next door to their CD department and got a couple SACDs -- SACDs are damned expensive! But I came away with Miles Davis and Vivaldi.

So I am now anxiously awaiting my new CDP and my new amp -- at which point I will be set for a long time... I hope
wink.gif

Jul 22, 2001 at 2:25 AM Post #11 of 24
MacDEF,

You are a stud! $546 total? And a free T-shirt?

Man, that is a phenomenal deal. Other than the stuff I won for free, the 333 is easily the best dollar-for-dollar sonic investment that I've yet made in any audio product. Yes, folks, for $1000 -- let alone $550 -- it is a steal. It is that good.

Jul 22, 2001 at 2:50 AM Post #12 of 24
Quote:

Yes, folks, for $1000 -- let alone $550 -- it is a steal. It is that good.

Well, considering Stereophile gave it a Class B Recommended Components rating, and called it a steal at $1200, I'm pretty excited.

Actually there was some humor in the purchase. The salesman was telling me about the replacement for the 333, the 555. I asked him what the difference was, and he explained that the 333 has two-channel output, while the 555 has multi-channel (I assume they mean more-than-2
wink.gif
).

The salesman looked at me like I was an alien when I replied "well, I only need two channels."

Jul 22, 2001 at 9:55 AM Post #13 of 24
Quote:

Originally posted by raymondlin
...just buy what's right for you. Trust your ears, forget about what other people think...Otherwise you'll be upgrading every month! more frequent if you come in here more often!

You mean, if he doesn't, he won't...?
wink.gif

Jul 24, 2001 at 7:03 PM Post #15 of 24
Hey, Jude (oops, I did it again
wink.gif
). Good news! The day before I bought the 333, I bought an Onkyo SE-U55 from J&R which included a $30 J&R store credit for use "on future purchases." I called them today and after some discussion, they allowed me to use the credit on the 333 purchase (they usually make you wait until you receive the Onkyo). So I ended up getting the 333 for $516 including tax and shipping!!!
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back