SACD, Universal Players and Subwoofers
Jun 30, 2004 at 2:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

shard

Head-Fier
I just realized that I have quite a few SACDs in my CD collection and that it may actually be time for me to buy a SACD player.

My current setup: Sugden Headmaster Preamp, Sugden MusicMaster Amp and B&W 705 Bookshelf Speakers. I do not have a surround sound setup, just a standard stereo system. So any surround sound goodness from the sources will not do me any good.

My first question: Should I go with a dedicated SACD player (Sony SCD-XA9000ES and the SCD-XA3000ES) or a universal player (Denon DVD-A11 or the Pioneer DV59-AVi)? I am pretty much leaning towards a dedicated SACD player since it will not be hooked up to a TV, but would like to hear some opinions.

My second question: Is there alot of difference between the Sony 9000ES and the 3000ES in terms of features, functionality and sound quality? The 9000ES is 4 times the price of the 3000ES where I am. Is the difference in price justifiable? I am not expecting it to sound 400% better, but maybe at least 25%? A 25% difference would sway me to go for the 9000ES instead of the 3000ES. I would normally not tag a percentage value to gauge differences between sources but since both of them are from Sony, they should have the same sonic signature and it should be easier to tell the difference?

My third question: If not Sony, then what other SACD players should I be looking at?

My last question: How do I add a subwoofer to my existing system? Is it possible? Preamp->Amp->Sub->Speakers? Will that work?

Thanks in advance.

Jun 30, 2004 at 7:37 AM Post #2 of 4
Shard:

I have the Pioneer Elite DV-59AVi (other than Music Fanatic). Do this: get it and send it to ModWright LLC to get it heavily modded. Then, you will have a great source that can handle all of the major audio / video formats for awhile. At least until the next universal HD-DVD player hits the markets and gets rave reviews...
eek.gif

Jun 30, 2004 at 7:49 AM Post #3 of 4
Thanks for the suggestion. But mods is a whole can of worms (to my wallet) that I will try not to open at this point in time for 2 reasons.

1. I will be buying the players new and do not want to void the warranty so soon.

2. I do not think I will be able to part with the new source initially for at least a couple of months.

Having said that, I will most likely mod my source eventually, just not now
tongue.gif

Jun 30, 2004 at 11:00 PM Post #4 of 4
You can check out the Denon DVD 2900, 2910, 3910, and 5900 along with the 5910. Also, you can still buy the Pioneer Elite DV-59AVi and choose not to mod it until you have saved up all of the money (which I have now) and find the courage to send it to a modder like ModWright, LLC. There's also the Marantz DV-8400 which is garnering FINE reviews though the Elite DV-59AVi is still the one to meet or beat technology and sound wise especially at current street prices.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back