SACD under $500 USD
Mar 11, 2002 at 3:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

NathanJM

100+ Head-Fier
I'm looking to improve upon my sparse source component inventory and am looking at purchasing an SACD player.

While players like the Sony XA777ES are really cool, $3k is a bit out of my price range. Im looking for something that can play both SACDs and CDs well, and costs less then $500.

I will be listentening from headphones (obviously, this being Head-Fi and all), so im not sure that multichannel support is too important.

I realize i won't be able to get anything earth-shattering under 500, but all im looking for is an improvement over my pcdp so that shouldnt be too hard. I do want the best for my money tho
smily_headphones1.gif

thanks.

Mar 11, 2002 at 5:05 AM Post #2 of 10
I think your needs may be best met by getting a regular CD player. However, the Sony SCD-C222ES may be what you're looking for if Oade Bros (www.oade.com) is selling it for under $500. Some regular CD player options under $500:

Marantz CD6000OSE. This is my CD player still and it sound pretty good. Also has a coaxial and optical digital out for MD recording and for use with an external DAC. Probably can be found for under $400 -- I got mine for $400 shipped almost exactly one year ago.

Cambridge D500SE. Also around $400 back then when I was looking, also reputed to be a good player.

Denon DCM-370. Goes for around $150 shipped on Ubid.com, has HDCD support, and is an all-around great player for the low price. You can add an external DAC to this player (e.g., ART DI/O) and still end up paying less than $500.

That's about all I can think of right now. Good luck!

Mar 11, 2002 at 5:59 PM Post #3 of 10
I disagree about there not being anything earth-shattering under $500. There are still C333ES machines to be found.... Try JandR and goodguys.

Mar 12, 2002 at 3:29 AM Post #4 of 10
Ok, so the 333 ES does sound good? then i'll probably try and go that route. What about the CE775 sony makes. is that better or worse than the 333 ES? (I'd try them myself, but i havent seen one in the stores around here).

DanG, thanks for your info, but the problem w/ a normal CD player is that it doesnt play SACDs -- a feature I want.

Thanks again.

Mar 12, 2002 at 4:57 AM Post #6 of 10
I haven't been impressed with the 775 yet, certainly not on CD playback, but I'm still burning it in. Unholy crap, US$200?!?!? I need to return mine, I paid way too much...thanks, Jim...

I may try tracking down a 333...

Mar 12, 2002 at 5:04 AM Post #7 of 10
Hi Nathan,

I just looked at your musical preferences and it seems that, because of your excellent taste in music (perfectly matches mine
biggrin.gif
) you could benefit from SACD. It's just that I'm doubtful that everyone realizes the major problems of SACD... even the classical repertoire is very weak so far and the cost of buying one Sony SACD is about the same as 3-4 Naxos CDs of very good quality with excellent performers. I've been doing this audio thing for a little while now (not as long as some -- only about a year) and I'm quite sure that my next source will be redbook-only. There's no way I'm going to re-purchase many of my CDs in SACD form -- even if I could.

That said, I've heard the Sony SCD-C333ES play regular CDs (as well as SACD) and I thought it did a fine job. Probably comparable to my Marantz -- though I never did a detailed side-by-side. At the time, I was more interested in hearing Vka's Tara Labs Air-1 interconnect and the differences between the Melos SHA-1 and the Holmes Powell DCT-1.

So again, if you can find the 333, go for it. I wasn't aware that they were still available at under $500. Again, good luck!

Mar 12, 2002 at 7:41 PM Post #8 of 10
Dan:
I agree, the SACD library is still pretty slim. But it is growing. It also seems to have a fair amount of suport by electronics companies etc, and Sony is continuing to push it. I'm thinking it will definitely 'catch on' and more and more titles will be released in the SACD format.

however, so far ive had little luck tracking down any 333es's...maybe i'll have to check ebay or something like that....

DustyChalk:
One your 775 is burned in, let me know what you think of it.

Thanks!

Mar 13, 2002 at 1:43 AM Post #9 of 10
In general, audition the non-ES sony products before you buy them... some are good, some are bose. Also in general, Sony ES SACD players rock the house.

Mar 13, 2002 at 2:13 AM Post #10 of 10
About six weeks I bought a Sony DVP9000ES. Great machine, great performance. It has an digitial off switch for CD/SACD. It has so many bells and whistles I have yet to figure most of 'em out. I'd rather listen to it than to futz with it. It comes with a five year warranty as do all Sony ES components. There is a new model coming out so last years like mine are around $1000 if you can find one.

On that same subject I more recently bought a new Sony STRV333ES receiver for $350. What a deal! The difference between the older and newer versions is minimal. How many great $350 receivers can you get with a real warranty? Since I really like being able to control the volume without getting off my duff it has become my primary headphone amp on direct mode since the 9000ES does not even have a headphone jack.

Sony Rules - especially at these prices!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back