SACD "Stereo" and "Multichannel"
Apr 19, 2003 at 4:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

BobaFett

New Head-Fier
I find SACD cd mostly are STEREO. So what is the point of getting these STEREO SACD since it's only 2 channel?

Most of my SACD are STEREO. sigh

Can someone recommend me a good Vocal, Jazz "Multichannel" SACD? Thanks.
smily_headphones1.gif

Forgot to mention one thing, what is the difference between "STEREO Surround" and "STEREO Multichannel"?

Apr 19, 2003 at 4:22 AM Post #2 of 25
I'm in the "prefers 2 channel music camp". So I'll abstain from suggestions. I prefer multichannel left to movies.

smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 19, 2003 at 4:43 AM Post #4 of 25
The new formats (SACD/DVD-A) are not all about multi-channel. Even in two channel mode, sound quality of each channel is vastly improved over Redbook CD, as SACDs/DVD-As carry many many more times the info of a CD. This results in better sound in 2-channel mode via headphones. So, there are clear benefits in the new formats whether or not you have a multi-channel system.

Mark

Apr 19, 2003 at 6:44 AM Post #5 of 25
Quote:

Originally posted by MoLtoSoLo
Highly recommand the SACD "Jazz at the pawn shop".
It's quite expensive, around $60. (2CD)
But it's well worth it.

Is this a Multichannel SACD?

Apr 19, 2003 at 11:18 PM Post #6 of 25
The orchestral multichannels I have are wonderful. But I got a Police album that was multichannel and it sounded like it was a "My First Mix" album on multichannel. It's just a pop kinda sound that shows it off as an annoying gimmick. One of the weirdest I found was that in "Message in a Bottle," the vocals come off-center to the left on the two channel mix but on the multichannel mix the vocals is off-center to the right. On other tracks they put some of the drums in the rear. Though when they do a live multichannel recording and not a mix off of a two channel, I think it sounds fantastic and more realistic.

Apr 20, 2003 at 2:42 AM Post #7 of 25
Diana Krall - The Look of Love is a "STEREO Surround Sound" SACD. I hear musical instruments coming from the Rear left/right speakers.

So what is the difference between "STEREO Surround Sound" and "STEREO Multichannel" SACD? I'm confused now.
confused.gif

Will someone recommend me a good "STEREO Multichannel" SACD to test it out.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 20, 2003 at 7:47 PM Post #8 of 25
I have three telarc orchestral SACD multichannels and all are excellent. I feel that you get the best effects from an orchestral multichannel because it's usually recorded live in multichannel so it'll sound the most natural. The 1812 Overture from Telarc seems to be a staple for showing off your system.

Apr 21, 2003 at 9:20 PM Post #9 of 25
Quote:

I feel that you get the best effects from an orchestral multichannel because it's usually recorded live in multichannel so it'll sound the most natural.

I agree, and I think that's how mutlichannel should be done -- to better recreate a "live" performance. I hate these mutichannel ping-pong effects with instruments coming from behind you or who know where. That being said, I've yet to hear a multi-channel recording that sounds as good as the stereo version (if there is one -- not simply a downmixed version).

Apr 22, 2003 at 3:24 PM Post #10 of 25
Quote:

Originally posted by Born2bwire
I have three telarc orchestral SACD multichannels and all are excellent. I feel that you get the best effects from an orchestral multichannel because it's usually recorded live in multichannel so it'll sound the most natural. The 1812 Overture from Telarc seems to be a staple for showing off your system.

I agree with it, the 1812 Overture from Telarc

http://www.towerrecords.com/product....it@hotmail.com

This SACD is recommended to test your SACD system.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

This is a mult-channel classical SACD.

Apr 22, 2003 at 5:20 PM Post #11 of 25
So how does a multi-channel SACD "mix down" to stereo? Is the info encoded on the CD, or does the player do the work???

Apr 22, 2003 at 5:45 PM Post #12 of 25
All the multichannels that I've seen have a separate 2 channel mix, I don't know if that's the standard but I would assume so. I think the player mixes the multichannel down to 2 channel. This is apparent on my player with the Police SACD's. My player has a separate set of RCA jacks for the stereo output and on the multichannel mix of "Message in a Bottle", the vocals are skewed to the right off-center. In the Stereo mix, they are to the left off-center (why the difference? I think the engineer was on crack when he mixed the multichannel). So obviously, the player must downmix the multichannel to two channel.

Apr 22, 2003 at 10:06 PM Post #13 of 25
The bigger question is really: what is the point of multi-channel for audio? Have you ever gone to hear jazz, and sat on stage? Have you ever gone to the symphony and found players both behind and in front of you?

I know the answer... multi-channel SACD can use the extra channels to try to replicate the accoustics of the environment. But honestly, how successful can that be, when the mixing of the CD, and speaker placement make such a huge difference.

I'm not convinced of multi-channel yet, other than the novelty of it.

Apr 22, 2003 at 10:59 PM Post #14 of 25
Have you listened to it? I have gone to concerts here at the college and in comparison I feel the multichannel gives a much better experience compared to stereo. In addition to giving a sense of space, I think it helps with the depth of the soundstage as well. Just as you can vary the strength of sounds in each stereo channel to change the position horizontally, I get the sense that the multichannel can help bring some instruments and sounds forward in comparison to others. When it's done well, I feel it benefits the music. When done poorly, it detracts. Just like the horrible implementation of stereo in early stereo recordings. Though I wouldn't run out and buy a multichannel setup specifically for music, I would still only get one for the primary reason to watch movies.

Apr 23, 2003 at 12:05 AM Post #15 of 25
Well, I was probably listening to crappy recording. I'll have to give it another chance, because I admit there's lots of potential there if it's done right.

When 2-channel stuff is re-issued as 5.1, isn't the sound engineer taking liberties with how it's mixed? How does he go about creating the other channels?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back