SACD player - worth it?
Oct 20, 2006 at 1:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

DeadByDawn

Head-Fier
I currently have a Sony ES series 5-disc changer.
It think i paid around 300+ for it about 6-7 years ago.
The quality of the sound is excellent compared to my 150 dollar cd player i had before that.

Well recently the CD player stopped receiving remote control signals and it has to be manually operated. I can live with this i guess.

I was think about getting an SACD player. From what i can tell the SCD-C2000ES would be the closest to what i have now. But its around 400 dollars.

Is it worth getting an SACD at this time or should i hold off for another audio format?

Thanks

Oct 20, 2006 at 1:35 PM Post #2 of 21
Don't hold your breath waiting for a new format on a physical media. The new format is lo-rez mp3 downloaded off the web.
frown.gif

If you like the titles that already exist on SACD then it would be worth while. However, if you are waiting for other titles, I wouldn't hold your breath on that, either.

Look for a used player on audiogon or in these forums. You can get something much higher quality at a lower price.

Oct 20, 2006 at 2:31 PM Post #3 of 21
You go here, and if you like what you see you can think about your budget for the player. Do take markl's advice into consideration, $400 should get you an excellent unit from 2 years ago, maybe a Denon 2900 (do ask the seller whether the unit has noisy transport)?

Oct 20, 2006 at 3:53 PM Post #5 of 21
I'd say it depends...mostly on whether the current offerings in SACD are to your liking. I find that the available jazz and classical offerings make it worthwhile, in addition to other genres which are to me mostly icing on the cake.

The improvement in sonics, even in a moderately priced SACD deck, are significant. It simply depends on whether you think the catalog of available hi-rez music does it for you. You might find a better redbook deck to be a better value. Me, I think it's worth it.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 20, 2006 at 5:01 PM Post #6 of 21
I wouldn't and have not invested in SACD.

Is your remote dead or the remote sensor on the player?

Oct 20, 2006 at 5:05 PM Post #7 of 21
Buy a brand new Esoteric D50 and spend a boatload of money modifying it. Thats not what you want but it's what we do here. You want to fit in don't you?
eggosmile.gif

Oct 20, 2006 at 5:08 PM Post #8 of 21
Actually, if you watch A-gone faithfully, you can pick up a slightly used ES 9000 or ES 9100 for $400 to $500. Then when you get some more money you can SACDmod it for $750 and have a world class player.
tongue.gif
3000smile.gif

Oct 20, 2006 at 5:46 PM Post #9 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by elrod-tom
I'd say it depends...mostly on whether the current offerings in SACD are to your liking.

That, and I see you're into home theater. Well done lossless surround is a great experience.

Oct 20, 2006 at 6:37 PM Post #10 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by markl
Don't hold your breath waiting for a new format on a physical media. The new format is lo-rez mp3 downloaded off the web.

What? you don't think there will hd-dvd-audio or bluray-audio?
tongue.gif

Oct 20, 2006 at 7:16 PM Post #11 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by proglife
I wouldn't and have not invested in SACD.

Is your remote dead or the remote sensor on the player?

Its defiitely the remote sensor on the player. I tested several remotes that all worked prior to it going out. Its costs way to much to have it fixed than its worth.

Can you play SACD's on computers?

Thanks

Oct 20, 2006 at 7:16 PM Post #12 of 21
Quote:

What? you don't think there will hd-dvd-audio or bluray-audio?

Sure, with a market share that peaks to about the same as DVD-A & SACD. And likely even less titles. Makes it sound really attractive doesn't it?

I'm with Mark on this though I still hope the ever increasing bandwidth of internet connections will spark an interest in lossless formats.
frown.gif

Oct 20, 2006 at 7:42 PM Post #13 of 21
When SACD was new (1999 or so), I was so naiive and optimistic.
3000smile.gif
I was so thrilled with the format, and back then it was not unreasonable to expect that this new format (or even DVD-A) could really take off.

But something happened on the way to the party, and it's called the iPod and Itunes. Truth is most people don't care about sound quality, convenience is king. If it hadn't been for this dramatic shift in the way people buy and listen to music, I believe the big record companies and Sony would have had the muscle to "force" or compel CD buyers to migrate.

But that ain't gonna happen. And it won't happen for Blu-ray or HD-DVD either. The concept of hi-rez is dead for the next 10 years at least.

Oct 20, 2006 at 8:24 PM Post #14 of 21
I've got a few SACD's that I wouldn't trade for anything, they simple sound incredible. I know the mastering has a lot to do with it but there is something nice about DSD. My goal has been to build a redbook system that sounds as good as SACD, I think I am getting close. Ifyou don't see SACD's that you would want don't bother with the investment, put the money toward a better CD player/DAC.

Oct 20, 2006 at 9:44 PM Post #15 of 21
If you get a universal player as Oliver suggested, you'll also be able to play DVD-Audio discs. I like that format because there isn't so much confusion among DAC manufacturers about how to properly decode the signal, since it's just higher-rate PCM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back