SACD + M-Audio Revolution
Jan 4, 2003 at 7:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Kal525

100+ Head-Fier
Is it possible to playback SACDs with this sound card and a computer DVD drive? I know the sampling frequency of an SACD drive is 2.8 ghz, compared to normal cds which are 44.1 khz. The Revolution supposedly supports 192 khz. Is that the sampling frequency or the frequency response. Are they the same thing? I've read that an SACD has 100 khz frequency response. If the 192 khz figure is for the frequency response, than will the Revolution be able to handle a signal from an SACD........and is there a DVD drive that will read and output such a signal from an SACD?

If this is possible, what DAC would you use in conjunction with the setup to get good audio at a low price? I want to elliminate the crapy source i have right now for my computer, but all this stuff about SACDs has me intrigued.

Jan 4, 2003 at 8:35 AM Post #2 of 8
sacds are protected so that no computer can load them. try putting an sacd in your drive and you'll see. i don't figure this will be an option anytime soon, although i think that if these companies continue to push firewire as a media interface, it'll be hacked/cracked soon enough.

sorry, maybe in the future.

Jan 4, 2003 at 8:46 AM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by grinch
sacds are protected so that no computer can load them. try putting an sacd in your drive and you'll see. i don't figure this will be an option anytime soon, although i think that if these companies continue to push firewire as a media interface, it'll be hacked/cracked soon enough.

Damn. I was afraid of asking that question.. =P Heh.. so that means I actually have to have a collection of SACDs with me at school, as opposed to Monkey Audio-ing it all... =P

They need to start making PSACD players... having a component SACD deck is going to suck.. especially with no room to stick it in a dorm room.
cool.gif

Jan 4, 2003 at 1:42 PM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by vwap
Damn. I was afraid of asking that question.. =P Heh.. so that means I actually have to have a collection of SACDs with me at school, as opposed to Monkey Audio-ing it all... =P

They need to start making PSACD players... having a component SACD deck is going to suck.. especially with no room to stick it in a dorm room.
cool.gif

If you are going to rip the music to CDR anyway why even bother with SACD.
You are going to lose the quality (which is the reason you got the SACD version of your favorite album)!

Jan 4, 2003 at 4:30 PM Post #5 of 8
damn, that sucks. I guess i see why they did that. You'd probably see SACD quality music floating around the net in no time.

I wasn't planning on ripping music to CDR. I was planning on ripping it with monkey audio which is a lossless compression scheme, so it's just as good as all that data on the cd, just on my hard drive. I wanted to know if it played SACDs just so that i could have a setup that played them, but i guess i'll have to wait a little while for that.

So now i'm not sure what to do. I want a good source from my computer. I think that no matter what sound card i will use, i will need a DAC to avoid interference. Is this correct? If so is there a setup that anyone can recommend?

The other option is to abandon the computer deal and buy an SACD player, but those are pretty damn expensive.

Jan 4, 2003 at 5:11 PM Post #6 of 8
Isn't another problem that PCs and their soundcards use PCM as their technology which SACD isn't? How would it decode the DSD gata?

Jan 4, 2003 at 8:25 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by Kal525
damn, that sucks. I guess i see why they did that. You'd probably see SACD quality music floating around the net in no time.

That'd be pretty sweet...finally, we could see CD-quality free music on the internet.
rolleyes.gif
tongue.gif

Jan 4, 2003 at 8:44 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by punosion
That'd be pretty sweet...finally, we could see CD-quality free music on the internet.
rolleyes.gif
tongue.gif

You already can
wink.gif
There's plenty of lossless encoders out there... Monkey Audio, FLAC, etc.. but I'm not gonna get into an argument about the merits of any of those formats..
biggrin.gif

But yeah... it'd be nice to be able to rip SACDs to my hard drive... but then.. it'd [arguably] sound the same coming out of my gimpy sound card, which would negate the whole point of SACD.
smily_headphones1.gif

Ah well.
Such is life.. hehe

Users who are viewing this thread

Back