SACD/DVD-A connections
Feb 7, 2004 at 2:04 AM Post #16 of 25
Beyond the fact that most discs have a 2 channel mix, most of the 2 channel mixes are higher rez than the 5.1 mix. It's not uncommon to find the 5.1 mix in either 44.1/24 or 48/24 with the 2 channel mix in 96/24. Other discs have their 5.1 mix in 96/24 with the stereo mix in 192/24.

Feb 7, 2004 at 4:45 AM Post #17 of 25
Quote:

Originally posted by markl
confused.gif
Not talking about playing both simultaneously. On my DVD-A player it's necessary to use the main L/R jacks in the multi-channel section to get the hi-rez 2-channel layer to play back. the two standard stereo outs give you a downmixed version.

On 963SAs, I know this is the case. The manual states that for the highest quality out put, you should use the mains L/R from the 5.1 outs. The 2 channel stereo outs do not give you as good of sound.

Feb 9, 2004 at 6:09 AM Post #18 of 25
Quote:

Originally posted by Snow
On 963SAs, I know this is the case. The manual states that for the highest quality out put, you should use the mains L/R from the 5.1 outs. The 2 channel stereo outs do not give you as good of sound.

I just received a message from Matthew (SACDmods) indicating that in the Sony NS500V the separate stereo outs use a separate DAC that is much inferior to the one used on the 5.1 fronts, that the separate stereo outs are intended for use with a TV set, not music.

Cheers,
Raul

Feb 9, 2004 at 9:06 AM Post #19 of 25
Quote:

Originally posted by rsaavedr
I just received a message from Matthew (SACDmods) indicating that in the Sony NS500V the separate stereo outs use a separate DAC that is much inferior to the one used on the 5.1 fronts, that the separate stereo outs are intended for use with a TV set, not music.

That must be the exception that proves the rule.

Feb 9, 2004 at 3:43 PM Post #21 of 25
Quote:

Cheers,
Raul

Looks like I'll be playing with cables again tonight! Thanks for the info.

Feb 9, 2004 at 5:00 PM Post #22 of 25
Quote:

Originally posted by Music Fanatic
That must be the exception that proves the rule.

Well given the info Snow submitted about the Philips 963 and what Matthew indicates about the NS500V, then that's not so much of an exception (or maybe I didn't understand your comment).

Wonder if there are many other good budget SACD/CD players that are known to be wired/built the other way around, with the separate stereo outs being the better ones.

Feb 10, 2004 at 3:48 AM Post #23 of 25
Quote:

Well given the info Snow submitted about the Philips 963 and what Matthew indicates about the NS500V, then that's not so much of an exception (or maybe I didn't understand your comment).

Wonder if there are many other good budget SACD/CD players that are known to be wired/built the other way around, with the separate stereo outs being the better ones.

For non-budget ones (such as the DV-50) the stereo outs are definitely the best.

Feb 10, 2004 at 5:07 AM Post #24 of 25
Quote:

Originally posted by Music Fanatic
For non-budget ones (such as the DV-50) the stereo outs are definitely the best.

Ah well
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
I see your point. But non-budget units *are* exceptions themselves, arent' they?
biggrin.gif

Cheers,
Raul

Feb 10, 2004 at 7:38 AM Post #25 of 25
Quote:

Ah well
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
I see your point. But non-budget units *are* exceptions themselves, arent' they?
biggrin.gif

Well, that just depends on how much pain you want to inflict on your wallet, no? After all, vinyl listeners and tube amps in the general population are quite rare, but over here, it is not exceptional at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back