SACD/CD player $300
Mar 3, 2007 at 8:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Alexcy

New Head-Fier
Hi, I'm thinking about upgrading my current cd player to something better in the $300 range. I currently have the Sony ce595 I think. Not sure on the exact model number. Do you think it's worth it?

I have a Panasonic sa-xr55 and Onix x-ls bookshelf speakers. I want to add the x-sub later at some point. Basically I want to build a nice sounding system without going overboard. That should last me between 5 to 10 years, I hope. Is there a cd player that fits the "sweet spot" at my range? (good performance/price)

I definately want something with SACD capability. I find out I like listening to classical music and there seems to be a whole lot on SACD format. I have Rubinstein Chopin Concertos Nos. 1 and 2 cd and SACD does seem better than regular cd quality. One thing I notice though is that when I play it moderate to loud, I can hear static clearly. Is that because of the connection, my reciever, or the cd itself?

By the way, I gave up on headphones. I'm a speaker guy I guess
biggrin.gif

Mar 3, 2007 at 9:16 PM Post #4 of 12
at the price a denon 2900 universal player would be a good buy. It retailed for $1000 new, got great reviews. Wow what a coincidence, im selling one on audiogon right now!
biggrin.gif
, $350 shipped, under the username: classikaudio.

Good luck with any decision you make.

Mar 3, 2007 at 10:53 PM Post #5 of 12
I recommend you get either of the Denon DVD 2900 or 2910 players. I owned the older Denon DVD 2900 and it was a good source that really showed off some of the potential behind the Super Audio CD format, but I felt it shined with DVD-Audio as well. Red Book CD performance was also quite good. I now have the Denon DVD 5910ci and I think that either give you at least 70% of the audio and video performance for a fraction of the 5910ci MSRP.

Mar 4, 2007 at 12:01 AM Post #7 of 12
Are there any significant differences between the two models that I should be aware of? Also, how would you describe its sound signature? Do you think it would jive with my stereo and reciever?

Mar 4, 2007 at 3:15 AM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alexcy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have Rubinstein Chopin Concertos Nos. 1 and 2 cd and SACD does seem better than regular cd quality. One thing I notice though is that when I play it moderate to loud, I can hear static clearly. Is that because of the connection, my reciever, or the cd itself?

All of the rubinstein cd's (I'm using the Rubinstein collection, 90-some cd box set to base this on) have hiss/static in them; the older the rubinstein recording, the more prominent that hiss/static is. Also don't forget the squeaking of the pedals, rubinstein inhaling quickly and deeply, and that guy in row 50 trying his best to conceal his cough :p All part of the character of the recording I suppose.

Mar 4, 2007 at 11:10 PM Post #10 of 12
I can't wait to get an SACD player. I'm currently looking into the -595 Sony SACD player as it fits my very modest budget. I was wondering: will there be a great difference between a $100 vs $300 vs. $1000 SACD player?

Mar 5, 2007 at 3:20 AM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

will there be a great difference between a $100 vs $300 vs. $1000
SACD player

simple answer, hell yes...

if you're looking to get into SACD you're seeking higher resolution in your music source, and therefore you need a player capable of extracting and presenting that detail....

my advice, buy used and buy a good base platform, to see how you will enjoy it first...
then spend money on mods....to take it to the next level.

there are good used SACD players out there in the $300 range..
As I mentioned above, the Denon 2910 first comes to mind, and you get with that player the bonus
of DVD video and audio....it's a popular player to mod

bottom line, trust your ears first...don't lay down $1k without sitting down and listening to the equipment and doing comparisions with your own music..

I realize that can be difficult to do depending on your location, thus the idea of starting with a solid used player..remember, this should also do a good job of playing your old redbook CDs...
I ended up purchasing a Marantz 8001, because it did an exceptional job of playing both my redbook AND SACDs, but that will run you about $600-700 used. Keep in mind your collection is probably now populated with mostly redbook CDs while your SACD collection will only be growing...it's gotta play both well!

Here are outfits, well known in taking solid budget SACD/DVD-A players to the next level:

http://www.sacdmods.com/DVD2910.htm

http://www.referenceaudiomods.com/Me...oduct_Count=23

Mar 5, 2007 at 5:40 PM Post #12 of 12
Thank you SfbayArch for the helpful information as I navigate into the world of SACD's (starting with Pink Floyd's Dark side of the Moon which my friend bought me years ago, but I haven't had the hardware to listen to it).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back