SAC-K1000 Amp driving AKG-K501s
Nov 22, 2001 at 6:57 PM Post #31 of 38
I wonder if we are getting closer to some resolution here.

I'm having no fun a/bing my 501s and 580s. I AM having fun a/bing my headphones and speakers. And not "versus" anything. So, it seems that my taste in speakers is very similar to my taste in cans.

I set up my speakers so that I have it at a nice level. I like the room to fill to the point of resonance, an interaction so to speak. Not to the point where the room pulses but is an equal contributor.

It is at this point that I can put on the 501s and it is a near match to the speakers within the room. At this level I am pretty happy. I'm not asking the headphones to give me anymore than the speakers are giving me.

This is using my CMoy amp. A bit more juice and I assume we would be at the Creek level. Add some more and we are at the SAC level. Then its time for the zeppelin tube and the amplifier of unlimited power
smily_headphones1.gif

This is fun - what I need to do is shrink down to the size of a little guy and go running through the cavernous innards of one of these devices.

Will I ever find the amp that matches my needs? One of my questions may be answered here as it seems that an incremental upward move may satisfy. I don't think this will ever be resolved until I'm out of money or the ears just look at me one day and say hey - I need a break.

Nov 22, 2001 at 7:02 PM Post #32 of 38
of course, power isn't all there is here. The creek and the SAC are both very good amps; both are pure class A and have quality components. I'd like to think that my adding another 8 AA's I could bring my 47 closer to the creek's level, but that might not be true.

rest assured though, nick, that those AKG's will sound leagues better when hooked up to an amp like the SAC!

Nov 22, 2001 at 7:06 PM Post #34 of 38
Okay, that's interesting. I interpreted air as light and feathery, which is what the 580s sound like to me. The 501s, on the other hand, definitely have more clarity and detail. I think we're talking about the same things. I'll probably post a short impression in a day or two.

Nov 22, 2001 at 7:44 PM Post #35 of 38
Neruda,

Leagues better? Pretty powerful words
wink.gif
!!!

Hmmmm, aren't the creek amplifiers to even be considered?

Are they worth half the price of the SAC or is the difference between the CMoy amps and the Creek only marginal and thereby making the argument moot?

I'm running my modified CMoy with at least 24V and it seems good. More power is always a good thing.

Nov 22, 2001 at 9:52 PM Post #36 of 38
I'd like to get that last SAC that Jan has, but it'll be gone by the time I'm ready. In that case, I'm leaning to the Corda. If anyone understands specs, it would be nice to compare power output of the various amps in question.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back