Sabaj A20h Balanced Headphone Amplifier
Jun 1, 2022 at 12:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

carlcamper

100+ Head-Fier
http://www.sabaj.com.cn/en/productshow.asp?id=86

I haven't seen a thread on this product yet, so I'd like to open an owner's thread for the Sabaj A20h. It cost me around $200 USD.

For me, this is one of the best values in the Balanced Headphone Amplifier space, as it has relay volume control for perfect channel matching, a remote control, excellent noise floor in SE and Balanced, 3 gain stages, and fully balanced Input and Output for a very reasonable price. The only downside for me is the inputs are located at the back, but I mitigate this by running Adapter cables to the front (one for TRS to 3.5mm, and another for XLR to 2.5mm balanced)

I personally pair it with the Topping D10 Balanced DAC, for a very reasonable ~$330 USD in total

Subjectively comparing it to my Gustard H16, I find the Gustard H16 slightly warmer and relaxed, while this is more analytical and neutral (take with a grain of salt though, as I might not be able to tell a difference with ABX)

For others out there, what are your thoughts?

WhatsApp Image 2022-06-01 at 12.46.55 PM.jpeg

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2022 at 4:06 PM Post #2 of 14
I just ordered one of these, will report in when it arrives since I have the matching A20d DAC for it already. It's $119 on Amazon for 500mw into 600ohm so I had to get it. Having headroom to equalize, use replaygain, and some of my favorite songs are pre-volume war recordings is a real bonus. The proof will be in the pudding Friday when I hear it. I have a Topping A90 and SMSL SP200 to compare it to, and even a fun Magni Heresy coming in next week so it'll be amp-a-palooza around here. Will report back to the thread with findings...

Oct 17, 2022 at 5:06 PM Post #3 of 14
I just ordered one of these, will report in when it arrives since I have the matching A20d DAC for it already. It's $119 on Amazon for 500mw into 600ohm so I had to get it. Having headroom to equalize, use replaygain, and some of my favorite songs are pre-volume war recordings is a real bonus. The proof will be in the pudding Friday when I hear it. I have a Topping A90 and SMSL SP200 to compare it to, and even a fun Magni Heresy coming in next week so it'll be amp-a-palooza around here. Will report back to the thread with findings...
look forward to your impressions -)

Oct 20, 2022 at 1:57 AM Post #4 of 14
PXL_20221019_210919912.jpg

Ok got a the pair completed tonight, the DAC is excellent with the SP200 as well, over 5 volts and the menu isn't bad when you get used to it (not that many options). The overall sound is a lot like the Drop THX 789 but it uses a different technology. The power is madness, on the Beyerdynamic T90 which is rated 250 ohm but really 400ohm in the bass region can get loud enough in low gain (0db gain) but I use medium for EQ and some pre-volume war songs I have.
When I first got it, it sounded lifeless and boring, but I ordered two and the other one sounded fantastic. I checked where the power supply connects and the first one was plugged in the other way. I reversed it and it sounded great too. This is what it should look like with the number on the blank side of it. I assumed it was auto detecting, but no it really sounded bad when plugged in the other way.
PXL_20221020_012300840.jpg

Its got good detail, but the SP200 I think will always be the winner at little microdetails being more noticeable. The sound stage sounds a little tiny bit bigger, but not as good as the Topping A90 I have also. If you're into replaygain, equalizing Beyerdynamic 600ohms, or have pre-volume war recordings this delivers massive power. Also it doesn't get warm all the time like the Topping A30Pro (that will warm a room 1 degree and the vent holes are dust magnets). The A30Pro has a smaller sound stage than the A90 but sounds really good.
Update: The power is there balanced, and much less one the single ended. I just got the DT880 600ohm today and pushed each in high gain mode. The A20H I could max out high gain mode, the SMSL SP200 I couldn't go past 12 oclock in high gain or hearing damage would happen. So it is truly balanced with the lesser power on the single ended like many others.

It's the same temp as the Topping A90, just barely warm if you could call it that. It really stands near the Drop 789 in many ways, but blows it into the weeds for single ended power. There's no hiss pausing something even at max volume, channel balance is good even at lower levels (nothing I could detect, but I'm using the T90 and Arya which aren't exactly pushovers for power requirements).
The plugs in the back are going to need 1ft extender cable adapters if you switch a lot, it's too tiresome to move it around. The XLR interconnect plugs are upside down, so you will need a longer cable that's flexible like the Cablematters 3 ft ones, or Amazonbasics test well and very flexible. The volume wheel on both is a little wobbly and clicking through a few spots I heard a tick sound in the headphones, but only like 1 spot it does that.
For the DAC it's best to use the ASIO driver, Wasapi pull had a slight pop switching to some tracks, but perfect with ASIO.

If you want total realism and tonal accuracy, the Topping T90 wins. This is like the THX 789, but the bass dynamics aren't as pronounced (on the 789 Drop different drum hits sound and feel different, it's a fun thing about that amp I noticed). Compared to the SMSL SP200 it's not as detailed (by maybe a 10 percent margin), so this is a little more for casual fun listening than production work I think. Also in games the SP200 really shines, you can hear faint sounds 20 yards away if it's a quiet area.

If you've heard the Topping A90 then you've heard better. If you have the THX 789 then it's a sidegrade. If you have the SP200 it's not an upgrade either. If you can get one for a good price, it's well worth it if you don't have some of the others I listed. I've had the HE6se and run out of volume in high gain on the Topping A90 with a -7db preamp reduction to equalize. If you need headroom for projects it's a good amp for the money. Maybe not the best in any one technical department. For power and value for the money it crushes it though. Last night I spent time on the Ayra in balanced medium gain and it keeps up with those, but the Ananda was the one that sounded even better than usual (same settings/cables etc.). If I had the Hifiman Ananda and was looking for an amp for it I'd really recommend the A20h.

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2022 at 12:19 AM Post #7 of 14
For up to 250 ohm headphones, it makes not much differenee between A10H and A20H?
On the T90 250 ohm I'm at -25db on middle gain and enough room to equalize. With a -6db preamp reduction then the bottom of high gain is fine. If the A10h has half the power you'd still be good.
I like to be able to listen to prevolune war recording with equalizing, and maybe try replaygain so the extra headroom is really handy on the A20h though.

Oct 24, 2022 at 7:47 AM Post #9 of 14
The SP200 has 15 percent more detail and the A20h has I think 15 percent more soundstage. For production work or critical listening I'd recommend the SP200, but for equalizing the he6se or 600ohm Beyers the added headroom is good for replaygain which really adds up. The matching a20d DAC is really nice too, 5.1v output and Bluetooth input sounded really good for wireless.
I have a Magni Heresy and it really sounds the most similar to that amp if you've heard one. Just a lot more power, but the Heresy packs a punch already. I'm just a huge fan of balanced DACs to stay in medium gain longer.

Oct 24, 2022 at 12:02 PM Post #10 of 14
Update: I did some testing with the Hifiman Ananda which I have standard and balanced cables for using a decibel meter. Setting it at -50db volume, the playback of the same song was 70db on the balanced XLR side, but just 62db on the single ended one. So it is truly balanced from what I can tell without taking it apart. It was a substantial difference between SE and XLR for volume.
I don't know the formula to figure out the single ended power, only the balanced number is available. It was staying at 62 vs 70db though. These must be new to market because there's so few reviews of them. I'm going to take the Arya for a spin on XLR later since I had just tested it with the stock SE cable before. I have serial numbers 062 and 065, so I don't think they've done a big push for a rollout on these yet.
I can say the Ananda has never sounded so good. The Topping A90 is always going to be kingpin for me, but for the price it wins. I'm keeping one for my daily driver because I like it better than the SP200, despite the nice thing of full power on single ended with that one.

Nov 6, 2022 at 5:06 PM Post #11 of 14
Just received the A20d/A20h combo and initial impression is very positive. The Dac and headphone amp are deeply discounted from the original price providing some nice hardware for the price. The display is rudimentary but functional and easy to navigate after the initial setup using the manual. One remote works for both components and provides full functionality. Seems the A10/20 series did not garner much attention and was quickly superced by the A10/20 2022 models with it's unique casing and more contemporary display. I prefer the original design, but the more advanced display would have been nice.
Dac bluetooth supports Apt-X, but no LDAC which is a slight bummer although I'm typically using USB.
1106221233~2.jpg

Nov 18, 2022 at 10:03 AM Post #12 of 14
I didn't see them in the 11.11 sales but suddenly they appeared on Amazon so ordered a unit. Not that I needed one but for 130 euros (shipment and tax included) with power that power, balanced and relay controls, it was hard to miss. We will see.

Jul 5, 2023 at 8:18 PM Post #13 of 14
http://www.sabaj.com.cn/en/productshow.asp?id=86

I haven't seen a thread on this product yet, so I'd like to open an owner's thread for the Sabaj A20h. It cost me around $200 USD.

For me, this is one of the best values in the Balanced Headphone Amplifier space, as it has relay volume control for perfect channel matching, a remote control, excellent noise floor in SE and Balanced, 3 gain stages, and fully balanced Input and Output for a very reasonable price. The only downside for me is the inputs are located at the back, but I mitigate this by running Adapter cables to the front (one for TRS to 3.5mm, and another for XLR to 2.5mm balanced)

I personally pair it with the Topping D10 Balanced DAC, for a very reasonable ~$330 USD in total

Subjectively comparing it to my Gustard H16, I find the Gustard H16 slightly warmer and relaxed, while this is more analytical and neutral (take with a grain of salt though, as I might not be able to tell a difference with ABX)

For others out there, what are your thoughts?

WhatsApp Image 2022-06-01 at 12.46.55 PM.jpeg
Have you tried as a preamp to use with speakers? Does it work ok?

Dec 20, 2023 at 5:23 AM Post #14 of 14
If you get one, they make a great pair with the SMSL DL200 as a DAC. The amplifier was designed for a 5 volt matching DAC which has been out of production for 2 years at least. I've got these two together and it's amazing what you can get for $300 total. With 5 volts it outputs it's full rated power even on the single ended out which puts out less power, I never left low gain (it has low, medium, and high) mode with the Beyerdynamic DT990 250 ohm. On the balanced out the Hifiman HE6se was sounding great with some headroom to equalize too.

PXL_20231127_222441734.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back