SAA Equinox
Aug 26, 2007 at 2:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

JLai

1000+ Head-Fier
Is the Equinox cable made of copper, silver, or mix? I tried searching for an answer and I didn't come up with anything.

Edit...nevermind. Found it.

But now I'm more curious. Most people say the HD650 really needs a bit of silver to pick up speed and sound its best. With the Equinox being made of only copper (much like the Cardas), how is it that so many people rave that it is one of the best upgrade cables while many deem the Cardas on the lower end of the spectrum? Being that they are both copper...What differentiates it?

Aug 26, 2007 at 2:44 AM Post #2 of 8
The Equinox is my favorite cable for the 600/650 (I also like the RnB, not sure what wire he used). I would probably put Cardas next in line. The cable I like the least with the 600/650 is the Zu.

Aug 26, 2007 at 3:02 AM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by tyrion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Equinox is my favorite cable for the 600/650 (I also like the RnB, not sure what wire he used). I would probably put Cardas next in line. The cable I like the least with the 600/650 is the Zu.

I really wish Myo kept making those cables. The G52 was actually the one I was going to go with before I found out they were no longer produced. I'm highly debating getting the RAL as it is solid silver (opposite end of the spectrum from my Cardas) and he happens to live ~30 mins from me, but I find it hard to justify buying a cable that cost as much, if not more than the headphone itself.

Aug 26, 2007 at 3:11 AM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by JLai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I really wish Myo kept making those cables. The G52 was actually the one I was going to go with before I found out they were no longer produced. I'm highly debating getting the RAL as it is solid silver (opposite end of the spectrum from my Cardas) and he happens to live ~30 mins from me, but I find it hard to justify buying a cable that cost as much, if not more than the headphone itself.

The G52 was a great cable. I ended up going back to the Equinox I originally had (I bought it back from wmcmanus). The two seemed very close as I remember. I ended up having flecom take the Equionx and hardwire them to my K1000 (the wait from SAA was too long).

I've never seen or heard the RAL cable. Is it more money than the Equinox? It looks like they are in Florida according to the Audiogon ad. It says $229 but it doesn't say for which of the many cables advertised that price is for. If you haven't decided by Novemeber, come to the meet that will be down here. There are certain to be a few varieties of Senn cable in attendance.

Aug 26, 2007 at 4:07 AM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by tyrion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The G52 was a great cable. I ended up going back to the Equinox I originally had (I bought it back from wmcmanus). The two seemed very close as I remember. I ended up having flecom take the Equionx and hardwire them to my K1000 (the wait from SAA was too long).

I've never seen or heard the RAL cable. Is it more money than the Equinox? It looks like they are in Florida according to the Audiogon ad. It says $229 but it doesn't say for which of the many cables advertised that price is for. If you haven't decided by Novemeber, come to the meet that will be down here. There are certain to be a few varieties of Senn cable in attendance.

The RAL cable is $229 for 2m. I'd want a 3m, so thats an extra $60...so $289 total. They're located in Palm Coast. More or less, near St. Augustine.

I'd like very much to come to the Nov Meet, but I highly doubt I'll have time. Between school/work/new house, its been quite busy. I will def keep it in mind incase, by some miracle, I'm able to fit in a road trip.

Aug 26, 2007 at 6:30 AM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by JLai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is the Equinox cable made of copper, silver, or mix? I tried searching for an answer and I didn't come up with anything.

Edit...nevermind. Found it.

But now I'm more curious. Most people say the HD650 really needs a bit of silver to pick up speed and sound its best. With the Equinox being made of only copper (much like the Cardas), how is it that so many people rave that it is one of the best upgrade cables while many deem the Cardas on the lower end of the spectrum? Being that they are both copper...What differentiates it?

I've got an Oehlbach cable (I believe it's an all-copper cable) on my HD-650 and I find it a better cable than the Headphile Silver I also own. The Oehlbach combo, believe it or not, has greater treble energy and more solid headstage than the Headphile. It also sold for half the price of the Headphile.

Aug 27, 2007 at 2:24 AM Post #7 of 8
Broke down and bought a Zu Mobius. Guess I'll find out soon exactly what all the hype is about.
biggrin.gif

Aug 27, 2007 at 3:00 AM Post #8 of 8
Wow,

it's been a while since i've been keeping up, but reading this thread made me take a quick look around to see what's out there for senny cables these days...no shortage of selection to make your head spin.

What do we have now?

Russ Andrews HC1
Stefan Audioart Equinox
Revelation Audio Labs Cryo
Clou Red Jaspis
Oehlbach
Bayley Audio Diamonback
RnB Audio Grace 52
Enigma Audio Oracle
Cardas
Zu Mobius
Silver/Blue/Black Dragon
Headphile Senn V2
ApureSound V2

Any others?

Although there's been reviews comparing some in the past and some cables are discontinued, it'd certainly be interesting to see an effort to compare & contrast the lot in an audible sense.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back