SA6 poor quality built
Apr 4, 2009 at 5:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

CooLy_oNE

100+ Head-Fier
I just have had my SA6 for less than 1 month.. I exchange it once as the glue used to glue the chrome plate cover the hole to plug in the cable and the the treble tip 1000% stuck in the hole..Soundearphones sent me a new one..got no problem, till now..when i try to change my treble tube with the tool provided, guess what? instead of the treble tube being removed, the chrome plate fell off. I tried to put it on again, but the device already broken..no sound at all...
Less then a month..so many issues..I doubt how long this thing will last..should I just refund this earphone?

Thank You

Apr 6, 2009 at 11:53 AM Post #2 of 20
Yes I think that will be a good idea if you can. I was though very same experience in a short time as well. I am now using my 2nd pair and I already deal with several issues again.
I don't "hate" Sleek Audio for this but I never enjoyed these like I wanted. I suggest refund them and wait to try out a better future universal product or perhaps go Sleeks customs.

Apr 7, 2009 at 12:51 PM Post #3 of 20
I hate to say I kinda agree. My first set of w-1's stopped working almost right after they came. Sleek shipped me a replacement pair with no problems, but the set the returned to me had problems with the adapter cable. Not a big deal, and they'll probably send me a replacement if I email them, but overall I'm kind of disappointed with their manufacturing/quality control.

Apr 7, 2009 at 2:27 PM Post #4 of 20
So that was quick. I emailed them and they told me they're sending me a replacement today. You have to give them credit for having top notch customer service.

Apr 24, 2009 at 5:35 AM Post #5 of 20
The only issue I really had with my SA6 and W-1 are :

For the SA6 :

-Small piece of plastic from a treble tip broke and stayed inside the IEM. I realised it like a month later when I was freaking tired about the treble tip was always moving like it was loose. Had to remove the plastic piece now it's fine but my = Treble tip is good for nothing now. I don't even know why it's cracked in some places.

-Broken cable, I haven't sent them yet to Sleek-Audio because I'm tight on money. Still have my W-1 though.

The W-1's :

-The most disappointing thing about the W-1s is the skipping issue.. I don't know how they came out with the W-1 when it has such a huge flaw.

---

Regarding build quality.. I appreciate the fact that Sleek-Audio came out with something new but I think they went a little bit too far. IMO the bass and treble port were not necessary. They could've just put a modular cable and no treble or bass ports. The sound can be tuned with an EQ no problem. The only reason why I bought the SA6 is because of the replacement cable. I had been through at least 4 pair of earphones w/ all of them with broken cable and the SA6 is no exception but I don't have to pay for another pair of IEM or send them for warranty replacement.

I also have to add that the build quality of the casing on the W-1 Transmitter is so so. The 3.5mm connector doesn't feel sturdy. It feels like it's gonna break if you put too much pressure on it. The plastic casing kinda feels cheap too.
And the male to female 3.5mm cable they included in the box doesn't work well. If you connect the Transmitter all the way in the female plug, you'll only have sound on one side, I have to retract it a little bit so I can have sound on both IEM. Kinda sucks because sometimes when I wear kinda tight jeans and sit, I'll only have sound in my right ear... unless I take it out of my pants and fix it. I don't know if it's the case for other people but it's like that for me..

I still like how my SA6 sounds, it's just that they're not perfect.

That;s it.

I haven't dealt with their customer service yet but apparently they're awesome, I hope they will remain that way.

May 11, 2009 at 7:45 PM Post #6 of 20
finalx233:

I disagree with you about skipping the treble and bass ports - that's one of the biggest selling points with me. Alot of times you aren't able to EQ (ie: most mp3 players don't have multi-band eq's).

May 12, 2009 at 9:54 AM Post #7 of 20
Hi,

As with you i have had endless issues with these sleeks. First was the buzzing issue but i lived with that, but now i have just realised that the bass port of my earphone has just cracked. I have had these earphones for just two weeks and have used them less than 5 times. I just wish they had better quality control because they really are decent earphones.

I think im going to try and receive a refund.

Sorry for my rant because these were expensive to me but have let me down so much.

May 12, 2009 at 6:39 PM Post #8 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by quansei /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi,

As with you i have had endless issues with these sleeks. First was the buzzing issue but i lived with that, but now i have just realised that the bass port of my earphone has just cracked. I have had these earphones for just two weeks and have used them less than 5 times. I just wish they had better quality control because they really are decent earphones.

I think im going to try and receive a refund.

Sorry for my rant because these were expensive to me but have let me down so much.

Im not telling you to not ask for a refund but possibly you could say you want the 2009 edition as replacements. I still have the originals but looking at the pics of the 09 edition they look a great deal more reliable. But Im not positive lol since I dont have them. I do still love my SA6 for the sound signature. It appeals to me more in the long run them my Sures 530's or the many other IEM's Ive had over the years.

May 12, 2009 at 7:41 PM Post #9 of 20
They redesigned (at least I know for sure the +) bass ports. I think they sound slightly better, and I think are also a bit higher quality parts. Well in truth, the last time I sent mine in for repairs they sent me both bass ports to compare. I tried the new ones and didn't even waste my time putting back in the old ones to compare. I love these headphones, and as long as I'm nowhere close to the end of my warranty I'm not parting with them. Especially considering that the company doesn't make you jump through hoops to get repairs, rather they are quick to respond and quick to repair.

Aug 20, 2009 at 9:45 PM Post #10 of 20
my chrome part did unglued on one of my earphone but i dont understand how it fell on yours, the way its made i cant remove it... (i just put some crazy glue and it was fixed)
biggrin.gif

Sep 12, 2009 at 2:08 AM Post #11 of 20
Nice my sa6 just broke to pieces for no reason (well it was already starting to break at the treble tip connection part). The other one (i dont really appear in the photo) is also starting to break at the same point...
Im out of warranty since i bought them about when they got released, what can i do?

img0284d.jpg

Sep 13, 2009 at 5:20 PM Post #12 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by JagenSteel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice my sa6 just broke to pieces for no reason (well it was already starting to break at the treble tip connection part). The other one (i dont really appear in the photo) is also starting to break at the same point...
Im out of warranty since i bought them about when they got released, what can i do?

img0284d.jpg

Oof, looks bad. I'd recommend contacting Sleek Audio anyway. At the very least, you may be able to receive replacement units for a fee.

Oct 24, 2009 at 10:04 PM Post #13 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by JagenSteel /img/forum/go_quote.gif

img0284d.jpg

wow... that looks remarkably similar to my sa-6 i've already superglued the treble ports because the plastic was getting weak. but it seems that the plastic near the treble port is just very weak.

I'm in the same boat as you. I have also a long time so out of warranty. And i don't know if i still have the bill (it was a gift)

Oct 26, 2009 at 1:28 PM Post #14 of 20
Haha, I think my sa6's condition was worst.
Here is an old picture of my 2008's sa6.
*Do note that it was NOT done on purpose*
IMG_0215.jpg

I sent only the broken parts back to sleek audio, and guess what ?
They sent me back the 2009 unit with a pair of new dual flange, a pair of new bass=, and a pair of new treble=.

I like their new dual flange, as compared to my 2008's dual flange, it is able to secure itself tightly to the treble tip. The 08's dual flange comes out from time to time, getting stuck in my ears haha. But the 09 seems to have cleared that issue, thanks sleek audio !

my sa6 2009 edition
IMG_0295-1.jpg

Dec 6, 2009 at 4:58 PM Post #15 of 20
Let me add on to this. As I was removing the treble tube with the provided tube from my 2008 Sleeks, the treble tube broke apart in the ear. Like literally just ruptured. I had to pull the pieces out and order some more treble tips. But after that it sounded really awful in the right ear, so I sent it back to get replaced. It sucks to be a week without music, so I sent it Priority. A week later, they arrive.

Guess what? Lo and behold, they arrive damaged. The treble tube was like fused shut in the right ear. I had to use tweezers to pull it out, and those, too, were damaged in the right ear. ARGH!!

I appreciate that their customer service is quick and convenient, but why can't the headphones be cross-shipped at the very least? It sucks to be without music for not just one, but TWO weeks for an issue that was out of my hands in the first place. I think at the very least they could send my 2nd replacement pair back priority or something.

Least to say, I'm pretty disappointed with the quality issues in the Sleeks still to this day. I mean, send a damaged replacement pair!?!?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back