SA6 + Amp = worthwhile difference?
Dec 7, 2008 at 2:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

diginick

New Head-Fier
Hey there. I have seen a few scattered remarks around about the synergy of different amps with the SA6s but I am wondering just how worthwhile adding an amp to low impedance phones, like the SA6s, is. Personally I am considering going down the road of Ipod >> LOD >> amp (E5, PAV2, Mini^3, Penguin, etc..). Is this difference going to be noticeable enough to justify spending money on an amp and LOD or should one just be content with the just how great the SA6s already sound? For those who are not interested in spending money for no reason/little to no difference, is an amp worthwhile? If an amp is worthwhile, what would you suggest as having the best synergy with the SA6s (cheap or not)?

Dec 7, 2008 at 6:35 AM Post #2 of 30
I do not like the SA6 paired with the penguin. On high gain that amp seems to overdrive the SA6 very quickly and muddles the sound. I suddenly get a hint of sibilance and flubby bass. When I use low gain it just doesnt drive the 60ohm SA6 enough, they just dont seem to shine on the hight quite the same.

Now on the cheap, I like the SA6 and the Fiio E3 very much, it warms them up and adds some bass. It doesnt help with soundstage or SQ in general though, just creates a warmer tone and more bass.

Those are the only two amps I own though. I do love the Penguin with my SE530's though, just fantastic combo. The Penguin is actually good enough to improve SQ, sounstage and eliminates the hiss my Cowon D2 SE530's have when together alone. Plus with my D2 it is really nice having a volume control.

Dec 8, 2008 at 4:47 AM Post #3 of 30
My SA6's sound fantastic with my RSA Predator, there is quite a dramatic improvement, although they SA6's are already outstanding on their own.

Jan 14, 2009 at 7:54 AM Post #5 of 30
i use my SA6's with a Lyrix total, was using it with a Go-Vibe v3 before that.

I was completely impressed with the amped sound when i first heard them at Canjam 08. So much i ended up traded raffle prizes for a pair of them =)

I couldnt use them without a amp now..im spoiled and love the way they sound with some power.

Jan 26, 2009 at 5:00 AM Post #7 of 30
Have used SA6 with RSA Tomahawk and very impressed, just changed to pico (to use with my senns) and another step up. I find the soundstage much more defined but more than likely is better power reserve at lower volumes for the peaks and a quieter overall soundfloor.
Compared with my old UE5pro the bass is a little leaner but in an altogether better way. I found stepping between HD600 and SA6 nicer than between HD600 and UE5 (on the same setup) = definitely not the same sound but less of a shock to the ears in sound presentation.

Jan 26, 2009 at 9:49 AM Post #8 of 30
The SA6 appears to be fairly transparent so whatever sound color your amp gives you will transfer to your music. So if you prefer the amp's sound to your DAP then yes go for the amp.

Feb 10, 2009 at 8:23 PM Post #10 of 30
how bout this.. people with sa6s + amp... any suggestions to which amp would pair up/or do pair up nicely with them???

i too am curious about amp combos with sa6.

Mar 15, 2009 at 2:50 AM Post #12 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by robojack /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My SA6's sound fantastic with my RSA Predator, there is quite a dramatic improvement, although they SA6's are already outstanding on their own.

Me too and I agree.

These 2 are a match made in heaven. Bass is awesome. Impactful-Immediate and Articulate.

As 1 poster put it transparent to the amp. I find the SA6s to be delightfully neutral.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back