SA5000
May 13, 2006 at 5:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

complex

Head-Fier
Just got mine today:

sa5000.jpg

I upgraded from Sony F1s... and boy, what an upgrade it is. My girlfriend just asked (err, told) me to turn them down because she could hear them over hers. Oops. It just sounds so nice!

And this is unamped. I'm still waiting for that to be delivered.

May 13, 2006 at 5:50 AM Post #2 of 11
congratulations on your new purchase, I've never had the chance to listen to one but I bet they sound awesome and even more so with an amp.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but your girlfriend also has a pair of SA5K's
confused.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by complex
My girlfriend just asked (err, told) me to turn them down because she could hear them over hers.

May 13, 2006 at 6:37 AM Post #4 of 11
Glad to hear that they sound great unamped. I plan on getting a pair of SA5k's also some time in the near future
biggrin.gif

May 13, 2006 at 9:00 AM Post #5 of 11
other than the Sony F1, do you have any other cans to make a comparison with? would love to hear some impressions you have regarding these cans. i've been aching to get a pair of these for quite some time now. seeing your pics just makes me green with envy.. btw how much did you pay for them and from where?

May 13, 2006 at 11:29 AM Post #6 of 11
They look pretty sharp next to your Logitech G5. Now if only the SA5k didn't have cable problems and the G5 worked on glass I'd jump on the both of them too.

May 13, 2006 at 4:22 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Roasty
other than the Sony F1, do you have any other cans to make a comparison with? would love to hear some impressions you have regarding these cans. i've been aching to get a pair of these for quite some time now. seeing your pics just makes me green with envy.. btw how much did you pay for them and from where?

$360 from Etronics.

My only other headphones are portables (Sony EX81, Koss KSC-75), so I don't have anything in the same range to do a comparison with, I'm afraid.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kram Sacul
They look pretty sharp next to your Logitech G5. Now if only the SA5k didn't have cable problems and the G5 worked on glass I'd jump on the both of them too.

I've tried the G5 on the side of a glass and it actually seemed to work fine... but I've never tried it on glass desk.

What cable problems do you mean?

May 13, 2006 at 5:26 PM Post #8 of 11
The G5 has been known to have problems with dark mousepads, especially Icemats which are made out of glass. This is supposedly fixed in a firmware update but the whole thing just scared me away. Plus there's only one button on the side and the mouse wheel supposedly leaves alot to be desired. It still looks cool though.

The SA5K's cable is supposedly not very good.

May 13, 2006 at 5:53 PM Post #9 of 11
Congrats on one of the best sets of cans, at any price point! Take your time with them, let them burn in generously, and experiment with different source/amp combos. When you get it just right, they are very hard to beat!!
tongue.gif

May 13, 2006 at 6:20 PM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by cheechoz
Congrats on one of the best sets of cans, at any price point! Take your time with them, let them burn in generously, and experiment with different source/amp combos. When you get it just right, they are very hard to beat!!
tongue.gif

So good that you bought and sold 6 pairs of them.
biggrin.gif

May 13, 2006 at 7:55 PM Post #11 of 11
Be sure to burn them in for a long time and post your impressions afterwards; I noticed some sibilance on some songs with my SA1k that went away after 300+ hours of burn-in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back