SA5000 worth it?
Aug 15, 2005 at 12:41 PM Post #121 of 160
Quote:

Originally Posted by drarthurwells
All you need to do is do as I do: do do.

Just say you own them even though you really don't.

Seriously, you have no idea what sound you could get simply by adding the Eastsound CD E5 to your Lehmann and your headphones.

Would you PLEASE STOP plugging the Eastsound and Lehmann, PLEASE. It is really aggravating me. There is no need to force your opinions on everyone else.

Aug 15, 2005 at 1:21 PM Post #122 of 160
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jasonharkin
Would you PLEASE STOP plugging the Eastsound and Lehmann, PLEASE. It is really aggravating me. There is no need to force your opinions on everyone else.

What force am I using? I found some really great products at low prices and you want me to keep this a secret?

Aug 15, 2005 at 1:26 PM Post #123 of 160
Quote:

Originally Posted by drarthurwells
What force am I using? I found some really great products at low prices and you want me to keep this a secret?

Hi Darthur

Of course not, but there is no need to plug them in at least 60% of your posts in this thread.

Regards

Aug 15, 2005 at 4:53 PM Post #124 of 160
I had the HD-650 for almost a year before purchasing the SA5000 blindly based on the recommendation of a HeadFier who's opinion I trust (Agile_One). I was apprehensive but when the SA5000's showed up I was very impressed with the resolution. I was hearing details in the music that were simply being masked over by the HD-650. Sometimes the details were annoying...like coughs/ sniffles from the audience in a stern and moving piano concert. Sometimes the details brought me closer to the artist/music by revealing little imperfections in vocals/instruments. It made the music more "HUMAN" to me by revealing the imperfections. I love them for this quality.

What I REALLY love them for is their performance with electronica/ techno/ trance. The SA5000 is easily the best headphone for this genre among all the headphones that I have in my possession right now (including the electrostats). I think a Dynamic headphone is better for this style of music. The bottomless bass was absolutely mesmerizing. I think the source and amp has a LOT to do with the success of the SA5000. Source is more important than the amplifier...

Aug 15, 2005 at 6:07 PM Post #125 of 160
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gigabomber
It is an asian company...

I agree, don't pay too much attention and trust your ears.

Now this is the kind of statement that annoys me.

What is being implied, that Asians are 'pinheads?' Because Sony is an 'Asian company' it designs small headphones for 'pinheads?' An 'American company' such as Grado won't design potentially uncomfortable headphones but an 'Asian' one will?

Aug 15, 2005 at 6:28 PM Post #126 of 160
Quote:

Originally Posted by Elephas
Now this is the kind of statement that annoys me.

What is being implied, that Asians are 'pinheads?' Because Sony is an 'Asian company' it designs small headphones for 'pinheads?' An 'American company' such as Grado won't design potentially uncomfortable headphones but an 'Asian' one will?

I'm Taiwanese. My head is big.
biggrin.gif
It's somewhat true though; Asian people usually have smaller heads and Sony engineers would probably prefer to make headphones tailored for Asian people.

And Grado headphones are not very comfortable.
tongue.gif
hahaha

Aug 15, 2005 at 6:32 PM Post #127 of 160
I bought these headphones for electronica. I haven't received the phones yet, but my question lies here:

Will I be able to enjoy my music with a 320kbps -> MicroDAC as a source? It's a crappy source, yes, but is it enough to at least use the SA5K? Or is it not worth it and should I have simply gotten some other headphones instead...
tongue.gif

All this worrying. I need to just listen to these damn things before I ask anything...
biggrin.gif

Aug 15, 2005 at 7:08 PM Post #128 of 160
Quote:

Originally Posted by Veniogenesis
I bought these headphones for electronica. I haven't received the phones yet, but my question lies here:

Will I be able to enjoy my music with a 320kbps -> MicroDAC as a source? It's a crappy source, yes, but is it enough to at least use the SA5K? Or is it not worth it and should I have simply gotten some other headphones instead...
tongue.gif

All this worrying. I need to just listen to these damn things before I ask anything...
biggrin.gif

Headphones are the first thing to get. Then maybe the source, then amp. Depends on the amp you are using to begin with. SA5000s will sound great with you setup. Get the headphones then go from there.

Aug 15, 2005 at 7:35 PM Post #129 of 160
Man oh man, one thing that we can agree on, the SA5000 seem to be the most polarizing headphone around these days, with members at both ends of the spectrum.

I am surprised that some members percieve plentiful deep bass from these headphones. This is not something that source will affect, and given the compensation inside the headphones, even amps should not make much difference. That leaves differences in perception/expectations, or potential variability amongst the headphones. That last one always worries me. Has anyone heard several samples of this model?

gerG

Aug 15, 2005 at 7:47 PM Post #130 of 160
Quote:

Originally Posted by gsferrari
I had the HD-650 for almost a year before purchasing the SA5000 blindly based on the recommendation of a HeadFier who's opinion I trust (Agile_One). I was apprehensive but when the SA5000's showed up I was very impressed with the resolution. I was hearing details in the music that were simply being masked over by the HD-650. Sometimes the details were annoying...like coughs/ sniffles from the audience in a stern and moving piano concert. Sometimes the details brought me closer to the artist/music by revealing little imperfections in vocals/instruments. It made the music more "HUMAN" to me by revealing the imperfections. I love them for this quality.

What I REALLY love them for is their performance with electronica/ techno/ trance. The SA5000 is easily the best headphone for this genre among all the headphones that I have in my possession right now (including the electrostats). I think a Dynamic headphone is better for this style of music. The bottomless bass was absolutely mesmerizing. I think the source and amp has a LOT to do with the success of the SA5000. Source is more important than the amplifier...

Absolutely. Until I got my unnamed CD player for $710, that features the Crystal DAC and class A output with the same clocking as used by Wadia and Mark Levinson players, my system was choked to death.

Now your opinion I trust.

What would you recommend as the best headphones all around, either dynamic or electrostatic to choose from? For inner detail (separating different instruments in complex passages), finely etched imaging of tone, and natural timbre (neutral representation of the signal).

Aug 15, 2005 at 7:58 PM Post #131 of 160
Quote:

Originally Posted by gerG
I am surprised that some members percieve plentiful deep bass from these headphones. This is not something that source will affect, and given the compensation inside the headphones, even amps should not make much difference.
gerG

My bass improved tremendously when I upgraded my CD player. And amps with the same frequency response curve can differ much in the amount of bass they actually deliver.

The SA 5000 are not bassy. That is they don't create bass themselves. If there is no bass in the program material you get no bass as you should, and many interpret this as leanness and say the headphone is bright. They are simply accustomed to a bass that is even revealed in a subtle manner when only midrange tones are played, and call this distortion warmth. They like it and want it after they become conditioned to it.

Aug 15, 2005 at 11:06 PM Post #133 of 160
Quote:

I am surprised that some members percieve plentiful deep bass from these headphones. This is not something that source will affect

My experience is different. The Dodson DAC that I use now goes far deeper, and quite higher, than the Benchmark DAC1 I used before. I sold the DAC1 a few months after I got the Dodson.
And I heard the same when JaZZ bought his UDP-1, compared to the Bel Canto DAC2 he used before.

Quote:

even amps should not make much difference

There are worlds between my Dynamight and my Talisman regarding extensions. Both, highs and bass.
Ask anybody who was at the Zurich meet. Though the Talisman was not there, a PPX3, PreheadMK2 and a HA-2 besides a EMP were.

That said, I think the biggest influence is the recording.

Cheers

Aug 15, 2005 at 11:26 PM Post #135 of 160
At the moment, what bothers me most about these phones is a hint of the "low-cost-quack" in the mids... but a bass boost reduced the incidence of that and yes indeed, these work well for electronica. I think that these are pumped up in the mid-bass (but not offensively so). I've not really considered the low bass... I might give that impression sometimes, but usually I'm not really the type to sit and listen to 20hz sweep tones. All I can say is that they do show a comparative boost in the bass range in the normal musical context.

The brightness may be masking the possibility that these are seriously coloured phones though. Probably more so than the W2002.

Edit: Just thrown on more electronica and gerG may be right about lack of deep bass. But I'm still not going to do sweeps
tongue.gif
They do "thumpy" mid-bass very nicely though... perhaps enough that you might not miss those low lows .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back