SA5000 warts'n'all
Jul 10, 2005 at 4:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

sonic32

500+ Head-Fier
I really wanted to like these headphones, and there is alot to like but at the end of the day they need a new home. Perhaps I didn't give them enough time, but felt there was no need. First let me say they are very comfortable. Ditto for build quality and including the stand is a nice touch. I will not go in depth with there sound quality as there are many great observations on this subject here already, but would like to make a few observations. The bass to my ears is fantastic and the phones have wonderful detail with a fairly wide soundstage. Aside from the headphone jack which is beautiful, the cabling is very poor. Can anyone say microphonic! The cable is too long and never drapes in an acceptable manner. But the biggest reason I am selling is that they just don't make music sound believable and I find myself only listening to the headphone rather than the music.

Jul 10, 2005 at 4:43 PM Post #2 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by sonic32
But the biggest reason I am selling is that they just don't make music sound believable and I find myself only listening to the headphone rather than the music.

I understand this complaint. It took me a very long time to assimilate and hear the whole picture.

sonic, you gave them around a month? That is a good run. You are wise to quit wasting your time with them.

Jul 10, 2005 at 5:12 PM Post #3 of 8
That is too bad. I see you have sold them already. Looking at your profile it was your only headphone? Just out of curiosity what headphone will you buy to replace them?

Jul 10, 2005 at 5:20 PM Post #4 of 8
I have owned several headphones to mention a few different flavors the SR-225, HD-600/silver dragon, SA5000 etc. I now will be trying electrostats and have the Stax 303/313 on the way. I dont beleive there is one phone that can do it all but before I invest to much in the system I want to try as many different flavors as possible. We shall see!

Jul 10, 2005 at 5:42 PM Post #5 of 8
Sounds fun, post your impressions when you get them.

Jul 11, 2005 at 3:36 AM Post #6 of 8
Don't feel bad, that had happen to many of us, they are overall good phones, but IMO not what people rave about...
confused.gif

Jul 11, 2005 at 3:55 AM Post #7 of 8
A month or so ago when sonic mentioned buying the SA5's, I read his/her profile and guessed they would not last long. For organic music, I would not consider the SA5K as a leader in any category - rock, classical, jazz...you name it.

But, for electronic music, the Sony finds its calling. Electronic music is my first love, and the benchmark by which I judge The SA5K. IMO no headphone that has graced my head does it better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back