SA5000 vs AD2000 or ~500$
Apr 27, 2010 at 12:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 46

Gubretti

100+ Head-Fier
Hello! As much as I hate to do this, I've made another "what should I get" thread. My source is my computer, and currently I'm testing how to setup my DAC. I have the MavAudio TubeMagic D1 and the HiFiMAN EF2a, and the way I have it right now is comp -> usb -> D1 -> EF2 and also comp -> x-fi -> coax -> D1 -> EF2. Im currently testing that out, but that shouldn't really matter for a recommendation. The types of music I listen to is for the most part is pop and rock. Alot of 80s (depeche mode/duran duran /etc), kpop/jpop, trance/jungle/dnb/dubstep/psychedelic, and all types of rock (nightwish / nirvana / green day). Currently I have the DT990-250('05) and some HFI-780s, however I'm looking for something with more focus on the mids and less bass. Pretty much something to compliment what I have already. After researching immensely through the forums and reading all sorts of threads, I've come to the conclusion between SA5000 and AD2000, however I cant really decide. Amazon has each for sale 310 for the sonys and 500 for the ATs. From what I can gather they are really similar but the ATs are more forgiving, warmer, and less comfortable. If anyone could please expand upon this that would be great, and if you'd like to recommend something else, it doesnt matter if its open or closed. Thanks for taking the time to read this
wink_face.gif

Apr 27, 2010 at 2:06 AM Post #2 of 46
sa5k garners quite polarizing opinions around here. Do a search and read about it. ad2k can be thought of as a safer bet given their not-so-heavily-slandered-reviews/remarks-by-some-head-fiers as opposed to sa5k. sa5k has a cold sounding presentation in its low spectrum areas, which some people love and some people hate. You can very well end up lovin' sa5k as well if you don't mind the coldness. I have the sa5k but only own the younger brother in the AT's ad lineup, ad900, so I can't provide much feedback w.r.t. ad2k. Hope this gives you an idea however.

Apr 27, 2010 at 2:51 AM Post #3 of 46
I'm also very interested in this. I have almost the exact same music preferences. Let me know what you decide on.

Apr 27, 2010 at 3:10 AM Post #4 of 46
Based on your current headphones, the SA5K would definitely be a drastic shift in signature.

I think you will be happy with either, but the A2000 seem like are supposed to have a lot more bass than the SA5K. If you are looking for something "mid-centric with bass" I can suggest the W1000X too.

SA5K is super quick, extremely clear and almost overly tight. I enjoy it a lot, but I can see how some won't.

I think joomongj is right in saying the A2000 is a safer bet, but those who love their SA5K love them a lot. AT are also seem to be more forgiving on amp and source.

For rock you could find the SA5K a bit bright, but they are also amazing with electronic music.. they are so quick and detailed. No matter how fast the song is, they are one step ahead.

Personally, I would like to eventually buy a pair of A2000(X), or try them at least, because I am a huge fan of my W1000X from AT, but I would never sell my SA5K. No matter how much my equipment or taste in music changes, my SA5K are always there to impress and "enlighten" me as some sort of music deity. They see all, and tell all!

Apr 27, 2010 at 3:21 AM Post #5 of 46
@joo ive noticed a lot of people saying about the SA5K referring to them as cold but then I read other threads stating they are the most neutral phones mass produced.

I know theres the polar opposites of opinion for the SA5K, but what I want to know is whether that 200$ price gap really makes the AD2000 that much better. Like I said it's been described as a warmer more forgiving SA5K. Anyone know whether these choices pair well with either of my amps?

Apr 27, 2010 at 3:36 AM Post #6 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gubretti /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@joo ive noticed a lot of people saying about the SA5K referring to them as cold but then I read other threads stating they are the most neutral phones mass produced.

I know theres the polar opposites of opinion for the SA5K, but what I want to know is whether that 200$ price gap really makes the AD2000 that much better. Like I said it's been described as a warmer more forgiving SA5K. Anyone know whether these choices pair well with either of my amps?

You can safely say that performance wise, the 200$ means nothing (other than how much your wallet will suffer). The price of the AD2000 is inflated right now, and the price of the SA5K is super low. SA5K has a MSRP of 699.99 USD AS2000 had one of like 550 USD IIRC. While MSRP don't really mean much, if you are wondering which one is "technically" better, due to pricing, it would be the SA5K -again not that that means anything.

I don't know if they are the most neutral headphones ever produced, as any open headphone can't give the low bass, and any closed has a hard time keeping clarity on par with their open counterparts. They certainly do have a unique bass though... it is hard to describe... it is just super clean, almost to a fault.

You could definitely say they are one of the fastest, most detailed headphones ever produced though...

Apr 27, 2010 at 3:50 AM Post #7 of 46
I have owned 3 diff types of SA5K, they are a very neutral phone. The bass doesnt go low, but it doesnt over power any thing else. It is quite punchy and sounds great with techno/dance and metal etc. They are very clear and the details are amazing. I matched them with a warmish amp and source. I would recommend a nice copper cabled version or keep them stock and you will surely be happy, my copper pair sounded a bit better over my Black dragons.

Apr 27, 2010 at 4:57 AM Post #8 of 46
Do they mate well with your DAC19? Collecting my SA5000 today hopefully
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 27, 2010 at 5:01 AM Post #9 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by oqvist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do they mate well with your DAC19? Collecting my SA5000 today hopefully
smily_headphones1.gif

Yeah they actually sounded rather good with the DAC19. I did have much to compare them with, seeing as you have the MKIV with DSP im sure they will sound awesome!

If i had a choice of phones to keep it would easily be the SA5K and W5K, matched with good amps and be done.

Apr 27, 2010 at 5:04 AM Post #10 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gubretti /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The Sony SA are neutral, balanced reference headphones. I think those of whom refer to them as cold and sterile have become acculturated with their bass veiled headphones such as Denons D2-7k, Sennheiser HD 580-650 - switching from these headphones to the Sony SA5000 would be a stark contrast that would immediately strike you as bright.

I think you'd be very happy with the Sony SA5000 and they're such a great price right now!

Apr 27, 2010 at 5:23 AM Post #11 of 46
I was honestly in the exact same position as you just a few days ago. FWIW, I decided to go with the AD2000. It has an almost mythic reputation around here, I've enjoyed the comfort of the AT headphones that I've owned in the past, and it doesn't seem to have many outright detractors. Given that I bought it new, I'm also counting on a return policy to get me my money back if I hate it. It seemed like a pretty safe bet either way to me.

Like the AD2000, the SA5000 is priced relatively competitively new. But, it just has too much of a divisive reputation around here for me to invest in it. Of course, I'd imagine that you can probably return it if you don't like it. So if you're in the mood to try it out, go for it. You'll be able to keep more of your money in the short term over the AD2000.

Apr 27, 2010 at 5:39 AM Post #12 of 46
The SA5000 at $300 is the bargain of the Century,Magnesium and leather build,great looks,super comfortable,and a great sound.
And to top it all of,comes with its own stand,what more could anyone want or expect for $300.

Apr 27, 2010 at 5:40 AM Post #13 of 46
Damn all this talk about AD2K's!! It was my next phone to try... ugh! To bad im out of the fullsize game now
wink.gif

But if someone wants to send me a dynalo and a pair i would happily except to try them!

Apr 27, 2010 at 5:41 AM Post #14 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by ford2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The SA5000 at $300 is the bargain of the Century,Magnesium and leather build,great looks,super comfortable,and a great sound.
And to top it all of,comes with its own stand,what more could anyone want or expect for $300.

I think you put it much better than I did ahaha.... When you consider how amazing the build quality and parts are 699.99 USD looks cheap compared to the competition... 300 is just unbelievable.

Apr 27, 2010 at 6:59 AM Post #15 of 46
well based off of all the responses, no one has recommended anything outside the choices I've already given for the most part. So let me ask another option, do you think the SA5K and the AD2K are to similar to own both? I plan on getting the SA5K, however if I do end up enjoying the sound, would getting the AD2K later on be a good compliment to it? or if you like the cold sony will you hate the warm AT?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back