SA5000 Repair
Jun 25, 2019 at 4:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

subharmonic

100+ Head-Fier
I asked this question in one of the other forums but it's had zero traction, so maybe should have asked it here?

I've got the dreaded issue where my left channel drops out - and going by other posts on here, it's probably an issue with the cable at the Y-join. Someone suggested reflowing the solder - it may fix the problem - however, my immediate concern is getting the plastic cover off the Y-join without damaging it. Is there a method to doing this?
I really don't want to damage it.
I'm hoping to just make the repair using the original cable, rather than doing a complete recable job.

So any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Jun 25, 2019 at 6:48 PM Post #2 of 6
Don’t know the headphone so not sure but it seems silly to cut the cable for the Y. I would think it would be a continuous wire going from the connector to the headphone and the Y is just molded around it. But they could do it that way but that to me would be silly and asking for trouble. Any where there is a chance for a hard bend is a place where a cable can fail more often than not it is at the connector and at the cups but can happen anywhere. Reflowing solder is one thing but you need the wires to be connected not using solder as a conductor. I know you don’t ant to hear it but a recable would be the safest bet as the cable is failing so how long does the other side have before it goes.

Jun 27, 2019 at 6:34 AM Post #3 of 6
Send a PM to Head-Fi user "purk." He has owned a Sony SA5000 in the past, if he doesn't still have it ... along with the most famous R10. He may have an idea on how to repair one. I remember when he let me listen to the SA5000, he cautioned me about how to grab the cans. Unlike the Sennheiser HD800, that material sealing the can framework is quite fragile and can be torn.

I agree with buke. It seems unlikely that there's a solder joint in the Y. It's more likely the connections in one of the cans. It can also be the jack and just seem like it's in the Y because that's where all the flexing takes place.

Jun 27, 2019 at 10:09 AM Post #5 of 6
WOW is that silly but it is what it is. You can always buy a Y-splitter and redo the cable without replacing the whole thing and will give you a clearer look and not worry messing up the plastic .

Jun 28, 2019 at 5:22 AM Post #6 of 6
Purk has been really helpful - he suggested I should just do a complete recable.
Ideally - I'd be able to fix the stock cable - I like having my kit as stock.
And so far, I haven't been able to get this Y-join cover off yet - and scared I'll break it.
So - I am veering closer to doing a complete recable.
He suggested using some Black Dragon cable - but I'm UK based - so getting some of that may be tricky.
Any decent, reasonable, bang for for buck alternatives?

And - any idea why Black Dragon always seems to be mentioned when it comes to SA5000 recabling?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back