SA5000 Owners, Post Your Impressions Here
May 16, 2005 at 2:15 AM Post #361 of 379
There is a lot I want to say in the face of this negativity about the SA5K but I dont see any reason why I should expend energy trying to convince people here. I am extremely happy with what I am hearing...my dynamic setup is as good as any and now I focus on the electrostats.

Good luck to everyone else.

May 16, 2005 at 2:20 AM Post #362 of 379
Hi backdrifter. Well, it was worth a try
wink.gif

Actually there is a nice gent in Germany that would like to work a trade for AD1000, but a cash buyer spoke for the Sonys first.

I already have a pair of AD10, so I sort of know what to expect out of the newer versions. I don't care for the voicing in the AD10, but I can tweak that with the EQ.

gerG

May 16, 2005 at 4:03 AM Post #363 of 379
Quote:

Originally Posted by gsferrari
There is a lot I want to say in the face of this negativity about the SA5K but I dont see any reason why I should expend energy trying to convince people here. I am extremely happy with what I am hearing...my dynamic setup is as good as any and now I focus on the electrostats.

Good luck to everyone else.

Have you noticed that some of the most vocal critics of the MDR-SA5000 happen to like dark headphones?

I'm sure the MDR-SA5000 is a great headphone: I just think that a lot of forum members have difficulty seeing past their personal preferences in analyzing the technical ability of equipment.

-Matt

May 16, 2005 at 4:55 AM Post #364 of 379
Quote:

Originally Posted by crazyfrenchman27
Have you noticed that some of the most vocal critics of the MDR-SA5000 happen to like dark headphones?

I'm sure the MDR-SA5000 is a great headphone: I just think that a lot of forum members have difficulty seeing past their personal preferences in analyzing the technical ability of equipment.

-Matt

That's true, I was thinking about that myself. Seeing people go from the SA5000 to a Senn 6_0, I mean those are two VERY different cans. I for one can't stand the "veil" so it kind of makes sense that I would like the Sonys. Well, except for the bass, of course.
wink.gif

May 16, 2005 at 10:56 AM Post #365 of 379
Quote:

Originally Posted by crazyfrenchman27
I'm sure the MDR-SA5000 is a great headphone

As far as me, under the same "blind" conditions, I'm sure the SA5000 is NOT a great headphone because it is a flawed headphone. Intriguing & flawed. Good for many to play with a new flavour, likely not apt to stay for long, and still less bound to become a "classic", in my humble prediction.
icon10.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

May 16, 2005 at 11:12 AM Post #366 of 379
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrea
As far as me, under the same "blind" conditions, I'm sure the SA5000 is NOT a great headphone because it is a flawed headphone. Intriguing & flawed. Good for many to play with a new flavour, likely not apt to stay for long, and still less bound to become a "classic", in my humble prediction.
icon10.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Could you briefly describe what you did not like about the SA5000? I was wondering whether my listening experiences match that of other people who didn't like the Sony either.

Nevertheless, I think the SA5000 is a very capable headphone although I prefer the HD 650 for its tonal characteristics rather than technical capabilities. I guess it's a matter of personal preferences and I find that no matter how precise a review or description of a headphones (or amp) is, I won't get to know for sure whether I like it or not until I've heard it. The emotional connection to the headphone can hardly be deduced from reading only. For instance, I didn't think I would like the SR-71 supposedly chocolaty sound signature until I got one myself. So I would recommend to at least give the Sonys a try at meets for instance.

May 16, 2005 at 11:15 AM Post #367 of 379
Its a GREAT headphone to me. I sold my MS-pros because I felt it the keeper was the SA5000. I'm sure there are/will be a set of cans with no flaws but till I can find/afford them I'm happy.

TonyAAA

May 16, 2005 at 11:32 AM Post #368 of 379
Quote:

Originally Posted by saint.panda
Could you briefly describe what you did not like about the SA5000? I was wondering whether my listening experiences match that of other people's.

Ops, I've realized that the assertiveness of my post must favour a misunderstanding - by "blind", I meant to specify that I hadn't had a listen of the SA5000, as for the other opinion I quoted - sorry. Just a humble prediction, nothing more.
tongue.gif

May 16, 2005 at 11:43 AM Post #369 of 379
Quote:

Ops, I've realized that the assertiveness of my post must favour a misunderstanding - by "blind", I meant to specify that I hadn't had a listen of the SA5000, as for the other opinion I quoted - sorry. Just a humble prediction, nothing more.
tongue.gif

With respect but then I find your speculations to be quite stronlgy opinionated considering their speculative nature.
Imagine everybody doing this with every headphone they've never heard
wink.gif

May 16, 2005 at 12:52 PM Post #370 of 379
Quote:

With respect but then I find your speculations to be quite stronlgy opinionated considering their speculative nature.
Imagine everybody doing this with every headphone they've never heard
wink.gif

So I'd better just stand by and see if my own 'prediction' should come true...
smily_headphones1.gif
evil_smiley.gif

May 16, 2005 at 12:59 PM Post #371 of 379
Quote:

Could you briefly describe what you did not like about the SA5000? I was wondering whether my listening experiences match that of other people who didn't like the Sony either.

If you don't mind me interjecting, and since I've actually heard (and still own) the SA5000, I assume you don't, then I'll offer my opinion about the SA5000. For the record, I like the SA5000, but I'm not sure how much just yet.

My problem with the SA5000 has to do with a perceived thinness of the sound. In contrast to the CD3000 (which sound similar in some ways), I found the CD3000 to be lush and enveloping. Not lush in the same way as the HD650, but in a rich-sounding way. The SA5000, on the other hand, still sound a touch thin to me. Now, when I try to listen critically, I'm able to pick out all the sound I should expect to hear -- i.e., there doesn't seem to be anything I hear with my other headphones that I don't hear with the SA5000 -- but for some reason, irrespective of the sum of its parts, the SA5000 still sounds a bit thin to me.

To compare to the 650s, which I like as well, but don't love, I had the opposite problem. They sound too thick to me.

May 16, 2005 at 1:19 PM Post #372 of 379
Quote:

icon10.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

rolleyes.gif
I guess you would have no problems for me to calling the HD-595 grainy, unnatural, and flawed, either? I haven't heard it, but that's my opinion based on everything I've heard on this forum.
rolleyes.gif

I would ask for you, to stop interjecting your opinion, every time the subject comes up. Since it is a headphone that you haven't even heard. Nor have you listened to it's cousins, the SA1000 or SA3000.

May 16, 2005 at 1:24 PM Post #373 of 379
Quote:

Originally Posted by xelloss12
rolleyes.gif
I guess you would have no problems for me to calling the HD-595 grainy, unnatural, and flawed, either? I haven't heard it, but that's my opinion based on everything I've heard on this forum.
rolleyes.gif

There are macroscopic and microscopic flaws a headphone can have.
wink.gif

Alright for not interjecting my opinion on the SA5000, unless some other headphone I know well was concerned also.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 16, 2005 at 2:00 PM Post #374 of 379
acs236, interesting insight, thanks. I also found the Sonys to be on the thinner side compared to the HD 650, most likely due to a more emphasised upper midrange / lower treble and slightly subdued lower midrange - all compared to the Sennheiser. Whether one is more accurate than the other must be left open. I only heard the Sony for about 20 minutes although in a controlled environment and quite extensively with my reference tracks.
Looking at the SA5000's sound signature, the Emmeline amps might be a good match, just a guess.

May 16, 2005 at 3:12 PM Post #375 of 379
Quote:

Originally Posted by acs236
My problem with the SA5000 has to do with a perceived thinness of the sound. In contrast to the CD3000 (which sound similar in some ways), I found the CD3000 to be lush and enveloping. Not lush in the same way as the HD650, but in a rich-sounding way. The SA5000, on the other hand, still sound a touch thin to me. Now, when I try to listen critically, I'm able to pick out all the sound I should expect to hear -- i.e., there doesn't seem to be anything I hear with my other headphones that I don't hear with the SA5000 -- but for some reason, irrespective of the sum of its parts, the SA5000 still sounds a bit thin to me.

To compare to the 650s, which I like as well, but don't love, I had the opposite problem. They sound too thick to me.

This was one of my criticisms of the SA5K as well -- too shallow/thin compared to CD3K, HD-650, and even RS-1. The music just sounded hollow to me vs. full-bodied (I like your word "enveloping"). Maybe that characteristic is caused by a fast decay in the lower frequencies (e.g. bass line), which drop out too quickly vs. providing a lush tonal underpinning to the music.

I also found the SA5K to be too shrill in the treble region. In A/B comparisons with other cans, the timbre was significantly higher across the entire sonic spectrum. Trumpets, for example, sounded brassy vs. mellow, which is not how I experience them live. I recall one saxophone passage where the player was blowing across his reed making that dreadful, but characteristic, "fffffft" sound. On the SA5K, it was hugely pronounced (treble enhancement?) and distracted me from the notes he was playing; whereas, on the CD3K, it was less discernable and blended in more naturally.

For sure, the SA5K does appeal to some listeners, especially if heightened treble detail is what they prefer.

I'm not experiencing the HD-650 as fuller/lusher/thicker than the CD3K; but, my Senn's are not fully broken in yet. So, if there is truth to the burn-in process, perhaps the Senn's will eclipse the CD3K's on that dimension over time. I am becoming increasingly enamored with the HD-650's wonderful sonic qualities as well as its comfort. I wore it for many hours yesterday and hardly noticed it was still on my head. It's definitely on my KEEP list along with the CD3K (still a slight favorite). STAX is next...
Ken

Users who are viewing this thread

Back