SA5000 or MS2
Sep 13, 2008 at 9:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

Townyj

Headphoneus Supremus
Since i sold my MS-1/RS-2 ive been yerning for some up front sound that brings me into the music again.... Hearing alot of good things about both these cans im curious for some input on which to choose. Basically its going to be between these two so please dont suggest other cans to make it more confusing :p I listen to alot of metal/punk/rock/blues and also electronica of all genre's. I use a Little Dot MKV so i hope there wont be any problems with it being a SS amp with either of these headphones.

Has anyone owned both these cans..?? Could you gimme a shout on which you preferred
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 13, 2008 at 10:31 AM Post #2 of 30
Hi,

Funny idea IMO to compare exactly these ones.

Yes, I owned both. The MS2 was quickly sold (IIRC the shortest time of all hp I owned), the SA5000 has made way for the 4070.

The Sony is clearly superior in every respect: precision, transparency, speed, tonal balance, soundstage, definition of image.
Besides wearing comfort, high-tech materials, workmanship, technology, cost/performance-ratio.

The MS2 isn't by far in the same league of this ingenious masterpiece.

But in the end it isn't only a pure technical preeminence that you hear, it's a matter of taste. So go and try one as a start.

Sep 13, 2008 at 1:59 PM Post #3 of 30
Cheers for the input... Im curious what type of amp you used the SA5000 with..?? The reason why im comparing these to is basically they are both ment to do great with metal and rock etc.
smily_headphones1.gif
So cheers mate!

Sep 13, 2008 at 2:08 PM Post #4 of 30
I've always wanted to try the SA5000. Probably because I think it looks so darned cool. Good luck with your decision.

Sep 13, 2008 at 4:12 PM Post #7 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by mopps /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wearing comfort, high-tech materials, workmanship, technology.

No doubt the SA5000's are a masterpiece in those aspects - Sony japanese engineering...

Quote:

The Sony is clearly superior in every respect: precision, transparency, speed, tonal balance, soundstage, definition of image.

Wouldn't be surprised if that's so, haven't heard MS2's or Grados.

Quote:

But in the end it isn't only a pure technical preeminence that you hear, it's a matter of taste. So go and try one as a start.

Grados have more bass (not sure about the MS2's), but you can arguably have it on the SA5000's using some good digital EQ.

Sep 13, 2008 at 6:06 PM Post #8 of 30
Sweet replies
smily_headphones1.gif
Im just caught up on which one, since ive owned both Alessandro and Grado before and i really enjoy the SQ. Its mainly the whole synergy with my amp that im more worried about, since i hear the SA5000 is a very picky headphone.

Sep 13, 2008 at 6:23 PM Post #9 of 30
sa5k is too clean sounding for rock, there's no grunge/fuzz so you lose that luster. for everything else i love the sony as the lack of distortion lets music through with ease.

Sep 13, 2008 at 6:27 PM Post #10 of 30
Just thought I'd chime in. I've got a pair of SA5000's and they are simply phenomenal. They are by and large my favorite headphone and I do have the HP-2, 650's, Ety's. As far as the SA5000 being picky....
I have not noticed that to be honest. It works well with or even without an amp. I've plugged them straight into my MacPro and it sounds pretty amazing. Yes, not up to using my Gilmore V2, but plenty enjoyable. I listened to a bit of Rage Against the Machine on the SA5000 last night and they are extremely fast and dynamic. The bass is incredible as well.
And no, you don't need any digital eq for the bass. Sorry about that, you just need better equipment upstream.

Highly recommended headphones to say the least.

Sep 13, 2008 at 6:28 PM Post #11 of 30
Hmmm i may take that into consideration
smily_headphones1.gif
I like my rock/punk to have some good edge to it... Sort of falling towards the MS2 or 325i for now!

*Edit*

Ok now after reading your post ^^^

Im stuck again lol! The SA5000 appeal to me alot also, otherwise i wouldnt be having this hard time choosing.
smily_headphones1.gif
Cheers for all the great replies to!

Sep 13, 2008 at 7:09 PM Post #12 of 30
For the money of the SA5000's they are a very good bargain. I got mine for around $400. It's pretty simple. Buy the best and just enjoy. No need to fiddle around. I've been listening to high end headphones before the internet.... which is quite a while. I'm an original owner of Grado HP-2 from way back in the early 90's. The Sony's are amazing. Period. One of the best bargains out there.

Sep 13, 2008 at 7:56 PM Post #13 of 30
Cheers for your input Lumiere
smily_headphones1.gif
starting to twist my arm! Damn i hate wanting more from headphones... ugh.

Sep 13, 2008 at 8:05 PM Post #14 of 30
Glad I could twist your arm!! It's a good thing I promise!

Sep 13, 2008 at 8:23 PM Post #15 of 30
Give me the MS2i anyday. I think the Sony sounds to lean and cold. I dont know what pads people are using on the MS2 but the standard bowl pads give the worst sound to my ears. Flat pads or modded Senn 19545 pads do a much better job of giving a linear high frequency response.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back