SA5000 or DT880 or HD650??
Oct 26, 2005 at 3:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

jas_kidd32

100+ Head-Fier
if i'm to upgrade to one these cans which one should it be? given i live in australia only the HD650 and DT880 are readily available locally. I listen to mostly rock as seen in my sig, but i already own an MS-1 and don't think they're all that great, they do the job just not jaw-dropping good. I'm a sucker for clarity, instrument separation and smooth/forward mids. something like the sound signature of an E4C + a little more bass but not boomy. i enjoy the sound signature of my E4C and would like the same for my full size headphones.

Oct 26, 2005 at 4:05 AM Post #2 of 21
any of those phones are going to need a nice amp to sound good. the MS-1 should improve substantially with an amp, too. i would personally invest in a CMoy, or similar, before upgrading to much more expensive cans.

Oct 26, 2005 at 4:25 AM Post #3 of 21
i understand these headphones would require a decent amp to show their full potential, but i'll be buying my system one at a time, say headphone then amp then DAC. i'm also hoping this would be the end-all for me. i know that never happens here in head-fi. right now i have a portable rig i love, a headphone for rock/metal...all i need is something for critical listening and i believe one of those cans would suit my purpose from the reviews i read.

Oct 26, 2005 at 4:33 AM Post #4 of 21
Hi jas_kidd32,

I suggest you attend the upcoming Melbourne meet which I think would have most (if not all) of the above headphones present at the meet and also some amps for you to try.

IMHO, SA5000 would bring you details and instrument separation and punchy bass (if you use them with amp) but the midrange might not be as smooth as the HD650 in this case. But YMMV.

Overlunge

Oct 26, 2005 at 5:24 AM Post #5 of 21
I'm in almost the same situation as you. I own the MS-1 and HF-1 and I'm looking for something to go with the MS-1s. I like the MS-1 for it's upfront but neutral sound compared to the HF-1. The HF-1 on the other hand, gives me a headache.
:[

I'm also looking at the HD650, but most of my music is metal, so I am unsure on what to get hearing all the opinions about the Senns not sounding good with rock/metal (which I hope is drastically overexaggerated).

Good luck on finding something to go with your MS-1's.

Oct 26, 2005 at 5:40 AM Post #6 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by jas_kidd32
if i'm to upgrade to one these cans which one should it be? given i live in australia only the HD650 and DT880 are readily available locally. I listen to mostly rock as seen in my sig, but i already own an MS-1 and don't think they're all that great, they do the job just not jaw-dropping good. I'm a sucker for clarity, instrument separation and smooth/forward mids. something like the sound signature of an E4C + a little more bass but not boomy. i enjoy the sound signature of my E4C and would like the same for my full size headphones.

Of the three, only the SA5000 can be adequately driven by a DAP directly. Many will doubt this--as I did--but when I learned that Bangraman drives his 010 from a DAP I decided to try it with my SA5K. Personally, I could live happily with an iPod and the Sony. If you plan to wait before acquiring an amp, I'd opt for the SA5000, otherwise it's a horse race. I look for basically the same characteristics as you stated, and my own order of preference is SA5K, DT880 and HD650--and I own all three.

Oct 26, 2005 at 7:32 AM Post #7 of 21
I don't get it. You already blew a chunk of change on a very good pair of headphones that it seems like you've never even used at their full potential. So instead of spending another large chunk of change on the things you need to really evaluate the equipment you _have_ - i.e. a much better soundcard and an amp, some amp, any amp! - you want to go out and blow it on another very good pair of headphones that you won't able to use at their full potential?

Er, just seems wrong.

Oct 26, 2005 at 8:41 AM Post #8 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by AdamWill
I don't get it. You already blew a chunk of change on a very good pair of headphones that it seems like you've never even used at their full potential. So instead of spending another large chunk of change on the things you need to really evaluate the equipment you _have_ - i.e. a much better soundcard and an amp, some amp, any amp! - you want to go out and blow it on another very good pair of headphones that you won't able to use at their full potential?

Er, just seems wrong.

I agree with this. Don't spend money on headphones until you got a better source. The MS1 is an excellent phone, and right now it's not the phones that are holding back your system.

Oct 26, 2005 at 9:15 AM Post #9 of 21
All of those headphones sound so different.

I think I'd rate them SA5000>DT880>HD650, according to my preferences, but just as many people rank them in reverse.

My recommendation is to try purchasing from someone with a return policy ( www.toddthevinyljunkie.com comes to mind).

I think that you would enjoy them with your current source as long as they are amplified with something. I believe in the importance of the source, but a better headphone does go a long way towards improving a system.

-Matt

Oct 26, 2005 at 9:38 AM Post #10 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by l_simon_l
I agree with this. Don't spend money on headphones until you got a better source. The MS1 is an excellent phone, and right now it's not the phones that are holding back your system.

I know my setup is not near perfect but my understanding is that low impedance amp wouldnt gain such a significant change with an amp. The MS-1 and E4C can operate well w/o an amp and i did try the MS-1 on a Rotel amp, i know its not a dedicated headphone amp but the sound difference isn't so apparent to me. Sure there is a slight improvement when the MS-1 was amped but not to the point that it justifies buying an amp for it. Don't get me wrong i enjoy listening to the MS-1 just not as impressed as my E4C. I guess the Grado sound sig isnt so impressive to me. No offense to the people that love the Grado sound. There's one very important thing i learnt from being here in head-fi, take everyone's advice w/ a grain of salt. In the end its all about personal preference.

Oct 26, 2005 at 9:49 AM Post #11 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by jas_kidd32
I know my setup is not near perfect but my understanding is that low impedance amp wouldnt gain such a significant change with an amp. The MS-1 and E4C can operate well w/o an amp and i did try the MS-1 on a Rotel amp, i know its not a dedicated headphone amp but the sound difference isn't so apparent to me. Sure there is a slight improvement when the MS-1 was amped but not to the point that it justifies buying an amp for it. Don't get me wrong i enjoy listening to the MS-1 just not as impressed as my E4C. I guess the Grado sound sig isnt so impressive to me. No offense to the people that love the Grado sound. There's one very important thing i learnt from being here in head-fi, take everyone's advice w/ a grain of salt. In the end its all about personal preference.

You are right, the MS-1 works fine unamped. But I focused on the source in my reply. That is where I think you should spend your money first.

Oct 26, 2005 at 11:40 AM Post #12 of 21
I have gotten excellent preliminary results from my new RudiStor NKK-02 amp with the Grados...just need some dedicated time with the gear to make a better judgement. Try it with your MS-1 if you come to the meet.

Oct 26, 2005 at 11:57 AM Post #13 of 21
I agree for the source, i think you have to upgrade it AT LEAST with a terratec 7.1 space/universe if you want a multichannel soundcard, or maybe choose for one of the PHASE series

Oct 26, 2005 at 12:11 PM Post #14 of 21
yeah my soundcard needs upgrading maybe a cheap Chaintech or Turtle Beach, i installed my old Fortissimo II, i had them lying round coz i thought the onboard soundcard was good enough, it definitely sounds better w/ the MS-1 i dont know if i would get a significant improvement if i opt for a Chaintech AV710 or Turtle Beach Riviera

Oct 26, 2005 at 12:20 PM Post #15 of 21
For your goals, the Beyer 880 would most suit you. A better source and amp can come later, headphone swap now will give you a different sound signature and frankly far more comfort right now.

An Emu 1212m might be a good place to go next, its output will drive the Beyer 880 fairly loud levels and about as well as a sub $200 amp will until you can buy a HeadAmp Lite, PPA, M[size=xx-small]3[/size] or other ~$300 amp.

That was my system for a good long while, no complaints. When I sold my speaker rig though well it got bumped up a little
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back