SA1000 & 3000 vs. CD3000?
Feb 1, 2005 at 2:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 45

EdipisReks

Banned
has anyone heard the SA1000/3000 and can compare them to the CD3000's? i'm especially interested in the SA3000. i've pretty much decided that my tax refund is going to go to the CD3000's, but i'm interested in hearing about how the new sonys compare.

Feb 1, 2005 at 3:44 AM Post #2 of 45
I think there is 1 person on the board with SA-1000s and I haven't seen anyone with SA-3000s yet. Maybe you should be the first and report your findings!
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 1, 2005 at 3:56 AM Post #3 of 45
heh, i might do that despite $400 being a very significant sum to me, but i would like to get some input first. i also hate the idea of getting the SA3000's only to find that i lose a lot of money selling them if i don't like them. i KNOW that i love the CD3000's, so it's a bit of a risk. i have time to wait for other people to get them first, as i probably won't have money to buy my own set of CD3000's for a month, at least. my guess is that the SA1000 and 3000 follow the same pattern as the Qualia 010 and SA5000 appear to; i.e. more detail at the expense of musicality.

Feb 1, 2005 at 4:06 AM Post #4 of 45
id also like to know, i was looking at getting some 1000's for fun.

i think atleast 2 people here have the sa1k's and atleast one owns teh sa3k's.

im interested too, i had my eye on the 1k's and good enough impressions might as well just get the 3ks.

Feb 1, 2005 at 4:07 AM Post #5 of 45
all i can say is that if the the SA1000 and 3000 have anything close to the bass of the 5000, the CD3K is in big trouble...

Feb 1, 2005 at 4:14 AM Post #6 of 45
do the 5000s have a emphasized bass? i love the very balanced bass of the CD3k's (this is also part of the reason why i like the Etys so much). if the SA3000's have a lot of bass it would be a strike against them for me, unless it is fairly balanced.

Feb 1, 2005 at 5:02 AM Post #7 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by EdipisReks
heh, i might do that despite $400 being a very significant sum to me, but i would like to get some input first. i also hate the idea of getting the SA3000's only to find that i lose a lot of money selling them if i don't like them.

You won't lose A LOT of money. If you have them for 2 weeks and sell them, they'll be in like new condition and the Audiocubes warranty is still valid (I asked about this) as long as the new owner has the order#.

Feb 1, 2005 at 5:10 AM Post #8 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by nierika
You won't lose A LOT of money. If you have them for 2 weeks and sell them, they'll be in like new condition and the Audiocubes warranty is still valid (I asked about this) as long as the new owner has the order#.

hmm. ok, that gives me something to think about. thanks.

Feb 1, 2005 at 5:24 AM Post #9 of 45
Quote:

do the 5000s have a emphasized bass? i love the very balanced bass of the CD3k's (this is also part of the reason why i like the Etys so much). if the SA3000's have a lot of bass it would be a strike against them for me, unless it is fairly balanced.

emphasized? i wouldn't say it's a bass hump. rather, where cans like the CD3K just dont have any presence in the bottom end at all, the SA5K will show it to you. don't worry, it's still not a DT770 trunk rattling bass tho!

Feb 1, 2005 at 5:37 AM Post #10 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
emphasized? i wouldn't say it's a bass hump. rather, where cans like the CD3K just dont have any presence in the bottom end at all, the SA5K will show it to you. don't worry, it's still not a DT770 trunk rattling bass tho!

hmm. i think the CD3000's have plenty of presence in the bottom end. i guess i need to hear the SA5k's, but i don't know how that would happen, since they are so new. are there any phones that you could compare the SA5k's to, bass wise? i've heard most of the major phones...

Feb 1, 2005 at 5:48 AM Post #11 of 45
Quote:

hmm. i think the CD3000's have plenty of presence in the bottom end. i guess i need to hear the SA5k's, but i don't know how that would happen, since they are so new. are there any phones that you could compare the SA5k's to, bass wise? i've heard most of the major phones...

While I have no doubt there is a basis to the criticisms of the CD3k's bass, in the music I listen to, I think I tend to agree with you, that there is plenty of presence in the bottom end for me. Maybe it's more bass extension? My crappy pop music is pretty limited to the higher bass regions.

Regardless, I think if you're happy with the amount of bass of the CD3k's, you'll be happy with the amount of the SA5k's. For my music/experience, the quantity of the bass is similar between the two phones, but the control that the SA5k's have over that bass makes me smile every time.

But to address the main point - I don't have any real experience with the SA3k's. I will say you can get the SA5k's for less than $500 here in Japan.

Best,

-Jason

Feb 1, 2005 at 6:00 AM Post #13 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjcha
While I have no doubt there is a basis to the criticisms of the CD3k's bass, in the music I listen to, I think I tend to agree with you, that there is plenty of presence in the bottom end for me. Maybe it's more bass extension? My crappy pop music is pretty limited to the higher bass regions.

Regardless, I think if you're happy with the amount of bass of the CD3k's, you'll be happy with the amount of the SA5k's. For my music/experience, the quantity of the bass is similar between the two phones, but the control that the SA5k's have over that bass makes me smile every time.

But to address the main point - I don't have any real experience with the SA3k's. I will say you can get the SA5k's for less than $500 here in Japan.

Best,

-Jason

the Bjork i listen to goes pretty deep, and the CD3k's give plenty of oomph to those low notes. how much less than $500 to the SA5k's go for in japan? they are nearly $800 from audiocubes. if i could get them for $500ish, and they had a sonic quality that i liked, i could probably justify spending that much. do you think the SA5k's are greatly superior to the CD3000's?

Feb 1, 2005 at 6:09 AM Post #15 of 45
Quote:

the Bjork i listen to goes pretty deep, and the CD3k's give plenty of oomph to those low notes. how much less than $500 to the SA5k's go for in japan? they are nearly $800 from audiocubes. if i could get them for $500ish, and they had a sonic quality that i liked, i could probably justify spending that much. do you think the SA5k's are greatly superior to the CD3000's?

not too much less than $500, probably like $475ish...and unless you plan on going there (and do some hunting for the smaller shops) or know someone there who'd be willing to help, it'll be hard to get it at that price (otherwise there'd be a lot more of us
redface.gif
). The bass is really better than the cd3k's imo. Has excellent extension and speed and it ALMOST has a slight electrostatic-feel to it, but it maintains a nice kick and slam that you'd expect from a good dynamic headphone. Claiming whether the sa5k's are better than the cd3k's is kinda tough, it's all based on personal preferences. the cd3k's are a bit more musical and 'lush' whereas the sa5k's are very analytical and detailed. The soundstage is still the widest on the cd3k's and I kinda miss that, even though it does sound a bit artificial at times.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back