S4 vs. Custom 2
Sep 5, 2009 at 2:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

ericpike

New Head-Fier
I will be racking up the frequent flyer miles over the coming weeks, so I'm in the market for something nicer than my freebee iPod headphones. I listen to a variety of music, but mostly pop and rock. I haven't ventured into quality headphones before, but I do have a fairly nice hifi system (Linn/Naim). My sound signature is fast with good pace, a bit of warmth without shrill highs, and good mids.

With the price of the S4 and Custom 2s virtually the same, which is the better option? How are they similar/different?

Thanks!
Eric

Sep 8, 2009 at 2:07 PM Post #2 of 8
The Custom 2, which started as a $200 headphone, is more revealing, so if there are any flaws in your mp3s, it will be very noticeable with these. They are also an over the ear design, and some have had difficulty achieving a good fit with them. If you are used to this style, it won't be an issue.

The S4s are simpler to use, and less "picky" about the source, but still sound excellent. I'd recommending reading some reviews on both to see what is right for you.

Have that helps!

Sep 9, 2009 at 1:05 AM Post #3 of 8
Thanks Amy. I went ahead and ordered the Custom 3s before I had a chance to read your post. They seem to get good reviews and match the sound I'm after. Hopefully they won't prove too revealing for my little iPod.

Eric

Sep 10, 2009 at 5:09 PM Post #4 of 8
If you are having trouble getting a good fit/seal with any of the CX IEM's try switching to Comply Eartips. Made a huge difference for me and the comfort is exceptional. For me this switch allowed me to realize the full potential of my C3's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back