S/PDIF noob question
Mar 1, 2012 at 10:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

melie

100+ Head-Fier
I would like to connect a dac (say a Dacmagic) with the S/PDIF connection. Now, I have a S/PDIF connection on my motherboard. Can I use this one? Or does this automatically use the onboard soundcard on my motherboard? And if I can use this one, is it as good as a signal from a USB -> S/PDIF converter?

Also, can someone explain me the technical side of why the sound from a USB -> S/PDIF -> DAC is better than just USB -> DAC? I don't really get this because the original data is still coming from the USB connection.

And if it's purely a datatransfer problem, why don't they make USB3 inputs?

Thx!

Mar 1, 2012 at 10:57 AM Post #2 of 5

Quote:
I would like to connect a dac (say a Dacmagic) with the S/PDIF connection. Now, I have a S/PDIF connection on my motherboard. Can I use this one? Or does this automatically use the on-board sound card on my motherboard? And if I can use this one, is it as good as a signal from a USB -> S/PDIF converter?
Also, can someone explain me the technical side of why the sound from a USB -> S/PDIF -> DAC is better than just USB -> DAC? I don't really get this because the original data is still coming from the USB connection.
And if it's purely a data transfer problem, why don't they make USB3 inputs?

All you need to do is run a digital optical cable from the S/PDIF output on your motherboard to the S/PDIF input on the back of the DAC Magic.
Or run a USB cable from the USB outputs on your motherboard to the USB input on the DAC Magic.
They are both digital signals from your motherboard to the DAC Magic, connect one or the other, or have them both connected.
Your DAC Magic would only use one or the other connection, but not both at the same time.
Your windows audio control panel would have setting so you can choose which one you want to use.
Hopefully this helps.

Mar 1, 2012 at 11:22 AM Post #3 of 5

Quote:
All you need to do is run a digital optical cable from the S/PDIF output on your motherboard to the S/PDIF input on the back of the DAC Magic.
Or run a USB cable from the USB outputs on your motherboard to the USB input on the DAC Magic.
They are both digital signals from your motherboard to the DAC Magic, connect one or the other, or have them both connected.
Your DAC Magic would only use one or the other connection, but not both at the same time.
Your windows audio control panel would have setting so you can choose which one you want to use.
Hopefully this helps.

Ok, thanks. So now I know it would work from the S/PDIF on my mobo.
The reason I asked this is because there are a lot of people on here that say that S/PDIF sounds much better then USB on most DACs. So the S/PDIF signal from my motherboard isn't 'pre-coloured' because of the onboard soundcard?

Mar 1, 2012 at 12:15 PM Post #5 of 5

Quote:
Ok, thanks. So now I know it would work from the S/PDIF on my mobo.
The reason I asked this is because there are a lot of people on here that say that S/PDIF sounds much better then USB on most DACs. So the S/PDIF signal from my motherboard isn't 'pre-coloured' because of the onboard soundcard?

With the S/PDIF, you can send digital 5.1 audio, I'm not sure if USB does more than just 2.0 channel audio.
But it gives me something to read up on.
It's cheap to have both cables hooked up and see for yourself which you like better.
As we are talking about digital audio signals, the on-board sound card will not change the (digital) sound unless you tell it to.
To me having the sound "coloured" is more something that happens to analog (wave) audio signals.
At least that how my own brain processes, uses and understands that word.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back