[S.O.S.] My first headphones! Looking for best headphones for Classic Rock and Jazz!
Nov 5, 2009 at 12:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

yhlee0503

New Head-Fier
Hi! I have been using canal earphones for few years..
and few weeks ago, I sold my last IEMs and portable music players..
Currently I'm left/settled with ER4S and Samsung Q1.

So, now, with some money (under $400) I want buy my first headphones..
I am planning to buy Graham Slee Solo amp for amp... and
Ipod Classic, Sony X Series MP3P, Sony NE830 CDP, OR RH1 Hi-MD, which I will connect to new headphones, that I'm still not settled with.

I was wondering if head-fi-ers could help me chosing my first headphones...

I am looking for a flat sound, like that of ER4S. I am also looking for comfortable sound, meaning decent amount of bass... which ER4S lacks,
but at the same time, I don't like overwhelming bass. I want headphone's unique "full" sound!
Like.. headphones that... I can doze off/sleep, listening to Unplugged - Eric Clapton!

I enjoy classic rock, jazz, and some pop music. I don't think I listen to metal, or at least heavy metal and I HATE, DESPISE and modern pop and rap music..
(miley cyrus, ... lady gaga.......... arghhhhh :xf_mad:)
out of 150GB of music in my computer, 95% = Classic Rock+Blues+Jazz and 5% = Pop

I am a HUGE fan of Eric Clapton...
Some of bands and artists I love listening to are

Classic Rock: Cream, Derek & The Dominos, The Yardbirds, Blind Faith, Eric Clapton & Friends, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Jimi Hendrix, Bob Dylan,
Queen, The Eagles, Dire Straits, ACDC, Deep Purple, U2, The Who, The Eagles, The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, The Allman Brothers, The Doors.. and you know!

Blues: Stevie Ray Vaughan, Jimi Vaughan, Robert Johnson, B.B. King, Eric Clapton, Albert King, Buddy Guy, Garry Moore.. and so on

Jazz: Buddy Rich, Duke Ellington, Louis Armstrong, Wes Montomery, Stan Getz, Roland Kirk, Sarah Vaughan... so on
Pop: ABBA, Elton John, Michael Jackson, The Police.. and thats just about only pop music artists I listen to..

Headphones that are dancing in my head for now are:
Shure: SRH840
AKG: K601, K702
Beyerdynamics: DT880
Denon: D2000
Sennheiser: HD650, HD600
Grado: RS2i..
*I am very very very open to suggestions!!!!!!

From looking at my music preference, RS1i or GS1000i seems like the best choice... but my budget! dammit!
MAYBE if I am lucky enough.. I will be able to get a minty used RS1..

So, head fi-ers! would you please help this poor fellow?!

Nov 5, 2009 at 2:59 AM Post #3 of 12
I have Grados and like them, and my music tastes very much overlap with yours. So on that I would recommend Grados for you. However, I think most people would say Grados would not be considered flat, which you say you want. Is that something you really want?

If you do decide Grados are for you, I cannot help you determine where in the lineup to go because I have only ever heard RS-1i.

Nov 5, 2009 at 6:36 AM Post #5 of 12
If you want something flat, then by definition, the amount of bass you get will be dependent on how much is in the music.

Grado RS2 isn't flat, but I listen to a lot of new and classic rock, and modern jazz, and the RS2 render both styles superbly. Tight, well defined relaistic bass for rock, and super clean detail for delicate, well produced jazz.

But if you're going to spend on decent phones and a drop a wad on a Slee, portable MP3/CD players as source will be a weak link - that's a large mismatch, IMO.

Nov 5, 2009 at 6:46 AM Post #6 of 12
The problem with those two AKG (more so towards the 701), you need a powerful amp to drive them. As well as some of the phones you listed. I would invest some money to upgrade your source/amp.

However, if you are bold enough to order from Europe, the GMP 8.35 or the GMP 435 S are great from what I am reading.

Nov 5, 2009 at 10:04 AM Post #8 of 12
Wow, I`m surprised that no one has recommended the HD600. I think they are probably the best cans for the type of music you listen to and your budget.

I`m personally not a fan of the lower end Grados for jazz, but that`s just me. I find them way too bright and upfront (as well as uncomfortable).

The HD600s I think will pair nicely with something like the GS Solo. Also, they tend to scale much better than the lower end Grados, so you can upgrade your amp at some point and you`ll continue to get more from these cans.

It`s always good if you can audition headphones before you buy them, because, as you can see, you are likely to get as many recommendations as there are head-fiers who wander into this thread. And, you may not like the same sound sig for jazz and classic rock that I do.

Nov 5, 2009 at 12:36 PM Post #9 of 12
For your music taste I'd recommend AKG K701/702 with Heed CanAmp. Very good for classic rock, really great for jazz and blues.

Cheers,
Adam

Nov 6, 2009 at 9:49 AM Post #10 of 12
All the recommendation for 600/701 etc to match his music tastes are all well and good, but he's wanting to use portable CD/MP3 players as a source.

I wouldn't trust $400 worth of phone and amp to a DAC chip worth a few bucks.

Nov 6, 2009 at 10:21 AM Post #11 of 12
I remember back when the RS2/1 were the top recommendation for headphones without an amp, what happened to that?

Like people have said, the RS2 would probably fit your musical tastes quite well, even though it misses your sound preferences (flat neutral sound) by quite a bit. The only other problem I can see with any grado is you are probably not going to be able to sleep with them, or at least if they are anything like my MS1s. For sleeping I can't think of anything that would do better than the ADx000s. I don't quite think the AD900 would fit your music preferences though. The SRH 840s and K701/K601 would probably do better in that respect than the RS2/RS1.

One thing though, does the 400$ include the music player and the amp or do you have 400$ set aside just for the phones?

Nov 6, 2009 at 10:22 AM Post #12 of 12
I must say that I do quite enjoy SRV, Clatpon and BB King out of my K601s. The presentation comes off as very life-like and very engaging. If you'll be doing your listening in a quiet environment (they have almost no isolation), then I would highly recommend the K601s.

Drubbing raises a decent point as you may want to consider a dedicated source for maximum levels enjoyment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back