S.M.S.L SP200 Headphone Amp - I'm Upgrading My Setup!
Jun 21, 2020 at 5:03 PM Post #16 of 23
All qualms in regards to the volume pot aside, this thing sounds fantastic. I have actually come to the conclusion that i prefer it to the amp integrated in my Burson C3R. If only it had a lower gain setting and of course a better volume pot by default.

Edit: Although, to be more precise, it's simply practically perfectly clean and neutral. If that's a good thing or not depends on the rest of the chain. Now if i only could get the C3R's DAC without the amp...

I agree! This amp really sounds good, very analytical, and no coloration of the sound, strait up amplification. You can enhance your sound further by using EQ, but you gotta keep the EQ gain well in the negative, so as to prevent distortion. And with DAC's that have a pre-amp, its very simular. Usually, as long as you keep the volume flat at 0 in the DAC, it shouldn't be doing much amplification on you.

Of course some models require you to put the DAC's into the negative zone to achieve that. Just be careful to not bring the line level down too far. I discovered by accident that my computer volume was not at 100%, this caused me to have to push my amp beyond 50%. But once I realized the line level was down too far, by spotting the computer volume, I razed it to 100%, now I never ever have to push the amp beyond 50% MAX! :L3000:

Jun 22, 2020 at 3:47 AM Post #17 of 23
Hi thanks for the very valuable opinions on this excellent unit.
Just a little OT ... i mentioned a stepped attenuator because i had one in a box ... a DIY thing made with Holco resistors. I put it in front of an old Bryston preamp i own ... the one shown here https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=133104.0
The pot in the Bryston is an Alps black beauty i think. I was listening a track of harpsichord music. Using the preamp the sound was ok ... using the stepped attenuator with the volume preamp at max the sounds exploded in the room ... i was able to hear the sound of the mechanism of the instrument. My feeling is that the volume attenuation stage is a very critical one ... i tend to think that a decent amp stage with a great volume control is better than the viceversa. I promise i stop with my ramblings now. Thanks again for the very helpful opinions.

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2020 at 5:21 PM Post #18 of 23
Well, I like to be helpful, so your welcome. I always love seeing the insides of amps, seeing what kind of quality their using in the circuitry and all that. While the SP200 may not have the best volume POT, it does have an impressive looking board, it don't look cheap Chinese, looks well made. Its hard to get stuff these days because of the Corona virus, so I'm not sure if your going to have all the parts you need to do the makeover. But, if your do get the needed parts, I would love to see what you come up with. :)

Jun 30, 2020 at 2:19 AM Post #19 of 23
Thanks again sincerely. I will place my DIY ramblings in the dedicates section. However i think that if the pot issues are real the brand should address them to have a better product. The board looks very well done and performs admirably at the lab bench. Kind regards, gino
P.S. i am looking also at the Geshelli Archel 2 circuit board as possible and cheaper candidate. It looks like a zero distortion device :scream: ... very impressive.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2021 at 5:29 PM Post #20 of 23
Whats up everyone? :L3000:

My new volume knob finally came on a slow boat from China!

IMG_1729.JPG

The old knob was harder to pull off then I expected lol. When installing the new knob, I couldn't have it all the way back against the case 100% or the knob would scrape. So its about a papers thickness of a gap between the case and the knob. Its nice that they included a hex key wrench, kept me from having to go into the shop to grab my hex key wrenches lol. I got the screw tight, but I didn't go crazy on it, don't wanna strip it out, its a tiny screw afterall. But the new knob looks sick!

IMG_1739.JPG

This picture I took to illustrate the size difference between the two knobs. Yes, I have the old knob resting against the gain switch lol, and yes its a tad lower in position. But even still, you can clearly see that the new knob is larger. I believe the old knob is 20mm, and the new one is 25mm. Woman appreciate large knobs too, so its a win win. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

IMG_1744.JPG

And finally a picture of my V-Moda LP2's sitting proud next to my new SMSL SP200 amp, with its new gold aluminum volume knob!

IMG_1732.JPG

And lastly, yes, the volume pot rotates more smoothly now with the added weight of the aluminum knob. Just make sure there is a bit of a gap, and this knob will work out fine. Also, the color I chose looks wicked sick with this amp, I am very pleased. Also, notice that I didn't remove my decals like Zeo's did. I don't think that Zeo's realized that doing something like that ruins the resale value. And once these boxes become antiques some day, it also ruins the collectors value.
I have chosen a smaller knob, so it fits inside the cylindrical cavity. On top of that I have added a few "golden" bolts.

Attachments

• SMSL SP200.JPG
    SMSL SP200.JPG
    13.2 KB · Views: 0
Sep 20, 2021 at 11:13 AM Post #22 of 23
I have chosen a smaller knob, so it fits inside the cylindrical cavity. On top of that I have added a few "golden" bolts.
It's so sexy now, I freaking love it 😍 Where do I get the bolts you used?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back