S.M.S.L. iDol Discussion and experiences thread
Jun 14, 2016 at 9:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

ursdiego

100+ Head-Fier
I think there is no thread around for the S.M.S.L iDol, is there? Let me know if there is already another one and close this one, as double threads are quite annoying.

This is an update compared to my first review. I tested the IdOL again today, and I decided to modify my review. Here is my updated impressions:

The first impression of the S.M.S.L iDol: It is really nicely packed in a small wooden box. And its extremely compact size is indeed appealing.

Here are my results with regards to COMPATIBILITY:

- Connection to the TABLET WORKING. Lenovo Yoga Tablet 2 with Android 4.4.2. On Android 5 or 6, it would work natively. However, on Android 4xx I installed the App "USB Audio Player Pro", and it worked flawlessly. 24bit / 96khz worked.

- Connection to the SMARTPHONE WORKING. Sony Xperia M5 dual with Android 6.0. Just plugged the DAC in, and then activated the USB detection in the android phone settings menu.

- Connection to the WINDOWS NOTEBOOK WORKING. Its a Windows 8.1 notebook. The iDol is recognized and installed automatically, and I can choose it within the audio preferences.

Now my impressions with regards to SOUND QUALITY:

I switched my headphones from the tablet, that is already quite OK, to the IDOL, and the difference was very revealing. The IDOL is a clear upgrade: The bass was tighter, the soundstage was much better defined, the middles were very vivid. Overall, the sound was much more natural and powerful.

Compared to the Notebook, the difference was similar.

I first tried it with my Ortofon e-Q5 in-ears, and already here, the iDol was an upgrade. But when I connected the bigger
PerfectSound M100O, the difference was even more clear. Here, the additional power of this tiny amplifier made the music and the headphones shine in a way, the tablet alone would never have managed.

For sure, the iDol can't compete with my full-size HiFi-headphone amplifier and DAC. However, this comparison would not be fair. My HiFi-equippment can't be carried along and used while walking or travelling. And the price tag is in a completely different sphere, too.

I am sure the iDol can compete easily with many portable headphone DAC/amplifiers out there, but it will really be difficult to find another at this price tag that gets you to this level of sound quality.

SUMMARY:

On the tablet and notebook as well as the Xperia smartphone I tested it, the iDoL is a clear upgrade for probably most headphones, but in particular for bigger, more power-hungry canes.

Get me right: We are not talking about an exotic, high-end audiophile piece of gear. That is not, what it is meant for either. However, it is safe to assume, that the iDol clearly betters the DAC and amplifier that are built into the average tablets or notebooks. It is so small and tiny and easy to use, as you don't even have to care about power-supply or battery. And there is no built-in battery that would have to be recharged and that would eventually loose capacity. USB power even of a smartphone is enough for the iDoL to run flawlessly. It is so small, that you can just carry it as if it was part of your headphone cable. So there really is no reason why not to take it along, as it will clearly upgrade your listening experience, with no additional bulk and even enhancing the user convenience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back