S.E.X. Headphone Amplifer
Jan 11, 2009 at 11:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

sentinl

Head-Fier
Has anyone received one lately? I was looking at their order page and it says it hasn't been updated since November 26th. That makes me a little scared to buy one because I don't know when it will ship.

Jan 11, 2009 at 11:49 PM Post #2 of 7
Having dealt with bottlehead in the past, their long wait times are the only thing to worry about.

You could call them on the phone if it bothers you. They are pretty much a "nude lady" and 1 guy show... sometimes their web page dosnt get updated.

Reports from people who have built the SEX amp have been pretty much all positive though.

Jan 11, 2009 at 11:54 PM Post #3 of 7
It seems like a great kit and I would like to build my own amplifier rather than rely on someone from China (Darkvoice was other option) build it for me. Another question, is the C4S boards worth the 50 dollar upgrade and can you use them without updating the transformers since the transformers are 300 dollars.

Jan 12, 2009 at 2:45 AM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by sentinl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It seems like a great kit and I would like to build my own amplifier rather than rely on someone from China (Darkvoice was other option) build it for me. Another question, is the C4S boards worth the 50 dollar upgrade and can you use them without updating the transformers since the transformers are 300 dollars.

I first built the basic S.E.X. kit (with wonderful help as needed from members of the Bottlehead forum) and it sounded great. I then upgraded with both the C4S boards and transformers simultaneously, and now have a headphone amp that I never ever intend to replace or seek to improve on. You can consult their forum for other builder/user's experience with only the C4S boards, which I understand does result in a marginal improvement.

On shipment times, I understand from a recent posting by "Queenie" that shipments have been held up waiting for receipt of the wood cases, which are expected to be received momentarily.

I don't think you'll be sorry if you go ahead and build one of these. The instructions are excellent, with a few lapses, readily corrected by consulting the forum, and other forum members, especially Grainger.

Jan 12, 2009 at 3:35 AM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by ascherjim /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I first built the basic S.E.X. kit (with wonderful help as needed from members of the Bottlehead forum) and it sounded great. I then upgraded with both the C4S boards and transformers simultaneously, and now have a headphone amp that I never ever intend to replace or seek to improve on. You can consult their forum for other builder/user's experience with only the C4S boards, which I understand does result in a marginal improvement.

On shipment times, I understand from a recent posting by "Queenie" that shipments have been held up waiting for receipt of the wood cases, which are expected to be received momentarily.

I don't think you'll be sorry if you go ahead and build one of these. The instructions are excellent, with a few lapses, readily corrected by consulting the forum, and other forum members, especially Grainger.

Both nikongod and ascherjim thanks for your help. How did the transformers and the c4s boards change the sound for you? Also did you make any changes such as caps or things such as volume pots? If so what did you use?

Jan 12, 2009 at 3:49 AM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by sentinl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Both nikongod and ascherjim thanks for your help. How did the transformers and the c4s boards change the sound for you? Also did you make any changes such as caps or things such as volume pots? If so what did you use?

The new transformer and C4S combination did as was reported elsewhere in the BH forum -- significantly tightened the bass and better defined the trebles. Installing the new transformers requires a change of caps, and on Grainger's recommendation in the forum I chose the Obbligatos from Hong Kong. You can spend a good deal of money on caps, but these proved to be reasonably priced and quite satisfactory. You must consult the BH forum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back