S.E.X.! ... amplifier of course
Jun 14, 2006 at 9:45 PM Post #16 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by velogreg
Was it the "plain" or "enhanced" S.E.X.? The MagneQuest iron and chokes are supposed to really improve the sound, and was wondering if that is what people have experienced.

If I remember correctly I think by that point I had changed the caps & wiring, but it was stock otherwise.

Later on I did most all the mods involved in the enhanced other than the new chokes and trannys. The C4S boards were a huge improvement.

Jun 15, 2006 at 3:11 AM Post #17 of 31
I've been thinking about building an upgrade from the "Enhanced S.E.X." kit. Upgrades will include:

* Cardas Patented Binding Posts

* Cardas GRFA-S-Thick Female RCA Inputs

* Cardas Chassis Wire

* Cardas Quad Eutectic Solder

* Furutech FI-09(R) IEC Input

* Alps RK50 Potentiometer

* Black Gate NX Series Capacitors

* HAL-O Black PEEK Tube Dampers

Any other suggestions for the version of this amplifier?
confused.gif

***edited out the sodomy reference*** ~voodoochile
keep your sense of humor on a leash, man

Jun 15, 2006 at 11:05 AM Post #18 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by MonkeyMan
I've been thinking about building an upgrade from the "Enhanced S.E.X." kit, Upgrades will include:

* Cardas Patented Binding Posts

* Cardas GRFA-S-Thick Female RCA Inputs

* Cardas Chassis Wire

* Cardas Quad Eutectic Solder

* Furutech FI-09(R) IEC Input

* Alps RK50 Potentiometer

* Black Gate NX Series Capacitors

* HAL-O Black PEEK Tube Dampers

Any other suggestions for the version of this amplifier?
confused.gif

Nasty dude
eek.gif

My amp pretty much ended up with those parts by the end except
I had Auricaps, and a Goldpoint stepped attenuator.

***edited monkeyman's quotation only*** ~voodoochile

Jun 15, 2006 at 7:46 PM Post #19 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Todd R
Nasty dude
eek.gif

My amp pretty much ended up with those parts by the end except
I had Auricaps, and a Goldpoint stepped attenuator.

***edited monkeyman's quotation only*** ~voodoochile

No MagneQuest upgrade? OOOOPs. I just reread and noticed you mentioned "trannys" so I take that you didn't do the MagneQuest, correct?

Jun 15, 2006 at 8:03 PM Post #20 of 31
Quote:

No MagneQuest upgrade? OOOOPs. I just reread and noticed you mentioned "trannys" so I take that you didn't do the MagneQuest, correct?

Right,
I didn't do the transformer or chokes. I decided I would rather start fresh with a complete new kit and do the enhanced from the beginning, plus some other changes.
I haven't built a new one yet........

Jun 18, 2006 at 12:52 PM Post #23 of 31
Quote:

Which Auricaps did you use? The 0.47uf or the 1.00uf?

I used the same size as whatever the stock caps were.
.47 & 1.0 uF sound familiar.

Jul 4, 2006 at 7:08 PM Post #24 of 31
Quote:

Which Auricaps did you use? The 0.47uf or the 1.00uf?

If you go with the iron upgrade the 1.0uF goes to 2.0uF. The other cap is a .1uF (or at least it is in mine), I cannot remember what it was in the pre-iron upgrade.

Andrew

Jul 4, 2006 at 7:40 PM Post #25 of 31
hey Todd, I was wondering if you could give us an idea what type of sound the Sex amp has compared with other tube headphone amps you've heard? I was thinking about getting one too, ( actually I'm going to try and attend Dan's amp building/design class next year) but it hasn't had very much press here. Any thoughts would be great.

Jul 4, 2006 at 11:04 PM Post #26 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by ironbut
hey Todd, I was wondering if you could give us an idea what type of sound the Sex amp has compared with other tube headphone amps you've heard? I was thinking about getting one too, ( actually I'm going to try and attend Dan's amp building/design class next year) but it hasn't had very much press here. Any thoughts would be great.

Well it was a while ago...
I remember being a little sorry I sold it
frown.gif

The only other tube amp I had at the time was my Earmax clone and they were both really good, but the SEX amp had more bass power and could control the 650's a little better.

I like it enough that I might build another one (unless I go ampless with the Wadia balanced outputs
evil_smiley.gif
)

Jul 5, 2006 at 1:07 AM Post #28 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pendergast
Thank goodness some people live to tell the tale of the existence of that kit.

The wait is excruciating: Ordered on May 2nd, and still waiting...

All the pain...

Just to make a quick closure: I received the kit on June 20. I started right away.

Got a few problems, all of my doing: reversing a diode, a wire here, blew the power transformer...

Got a new one, along with new caps, new schottkys, for free, and excellent assistance either from the forum, or the Doc himself.

I received the missing pieces today and finalized it. I am quite happy of the result (listening through Grado 225) and I am very very pleased; I smiled while listening to the music! Had not happened to me for some time...

Great product!

Jul 5, 2006 at 7:29 AM Post #29 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by BennyBoy
I dont know about that! She has a macho body!
blink.gif

confused.gif

Jul 5, 2006 at 7:32 AM Post #30 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by BennyBoy
I dont know about that! She has a macho body!
blink.gif

I'd say that's just the angle man, but she's certainly not petite, which isn't a bad thing...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back