Ryuichi Sakamoto - worth a listen?
Dec 15, 2004 at 8:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

digitaldave

500+ Head-Fier
So, Ruyichi Sakamoto... Worth a listen?

Since joining head-fi, I've been listening to some stuff on my iPod that I haven't listened to in ages, and that's a bit different from my normal selection of rock / metal / punk. For example, I've worked my way through my Suzanne Vega collection, and also Bjork's first two albums. This has made me think that I could do with listening to something different. And whilst reading a hi-fi magazine today, there was a review of one of his albums (Chasm?), and it got me thinking that maybe he could be worth checking out.

So any thoughts? Recommendations, stuff to go for, stuff to avoid?

Thanks,

Dave.

Dec 15, 2004 at 9:20 PM Post #2 of 10
I've always enjoyed his soundtrack work, especially his Oscar-winning sountrack (with David Byrne) of "The Last Emperor" and "Merry Christmas, Mr. Lawerence". Heard some stuff from his "Neo Geo" album from the late 80s and I like it.

He's also one of the founding members of the seminal Japanese group Yellow magic Orchestra (YMO).

Dec 16, 2004 at 2:59 AM Post #3 of 10
i like what he did on the "Little Buddha Soundtrack"

Dec 16, 2004 at 5:33 AM Post #5 of 10
I think "Neo Geo" is may be the first or second CD I bought - in my switchover from LP's... I've still got the CD, and do like and listen to it at least occassionally.

I like most of the things I've heard from him - mostly soundtrack stuff.

I really liked an recording of his that unfortunately I only have on a self-recorded cassette. I'd like to get a better copy of it again - but I think it might be very hard to find now. The release was 'Left Handed Dream'

Dec 18, 2004 at 1:56 AM Post #6 of 10
The guy is amazing and I've only scratched the surface of his work.

"Left Handed Dream" is an AWESOME recording for headphones. Lots of traditional Japanese instruments mixed in with the electronics. Stuff all around your head...

His soundtrack work is excellent.

But my most favorite Sakamoto is when he works with David Sylvian - "Bamboo Houses" and others.

YMO = Fun Fun FUN!

Wired did an Excellent article on Sakamoto back in 97 or 98 - worth a look in the library...

ok,
erix

Dec 19, 2004 at 7:23 AM Post #8 of 10
Sakamoto is very diverse and prolific; even though I have more than 10 CDs by him I am just merely skimming the surface. Some recommendations though:

Best of the Best:
Casa-- in this album, Sakamoto teams up with the Morellenbaum husband and wife for a tribute to Antonio Carlos Jobim. It is an extraordinary album, notably in bringing to the fore the classical influences of Jobim (especially Debussy and Chopin). The voice of Paula Morellenbaum is pure bliss.

Pop, vocal music:
Beauty -- crossover of pop music and Okanawaian folk style. Classy stuff!
Sweet Revenge -- wonderful dance groove with touching song-writing.

Instrumental:
BTTB -- solo piano miniatures that cover a range of styles, from Beethovenean classicism, to experimentation a la John Cage, to mainstream new age "relaxation"

Film Music:
I'm partial to Wild Palms; Sheltering Sky and The Last Emperor are considerably more popular.

Dec 21, 2004 at 7:34 AM Post #9 of 10
I love Yello Magic Orchestra. Get their first album. Damn that stuff is funky and till sounds fresh.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back