Ryuichi Sakamoto / Joe Hisaishi recommendations?
Nov 7, 2007 at 8:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

mochimon

100+ Head-Fier
i've just recently gotten into sakamoto's stuff. there are two tracks on his film music album (the second: merry christmas mr lawrence, and the fourth: sheltering sky theme) that totally blew my mind.

hisaishi has been an old favorite, with his work on the movie kikujiro being my fav.

can anyone recommend me some stuff based on this? the artist need not be japanese, its just that these two guys happen to really hit the spot.

Nov 7, 2007 at 9:19 AM Post #2 of 5
If you even remotely like Ryuichi Sakamoto get "1996". It is simply one of his best albums. It is quite experimental in some songs and might be a little bit of a jump in the deep end of his modern work, but I feel that the album is proof of his amazing talent. Other albums I would recommend are "Cinemage" and "Casa" (which he did with the Morelenbaums).

As for Joe, I guess the "Piano Stories" are good albums to get your hands on. I would also recommend "Spirited Away", "Brother" and "Laputa: Castle in the Sky".

As for other artists, look into Yoko Kanno. Try the "Macross Plus" OST's and "Music for the Eleventh Hour" (it has a blue cover with a orange plane on it.... sorry Japanese name escapes me)

Nov 7, 2007 at 10:39 AM Post #3 of 5
Sakamoto is too diverse. If you dig his piano/neoclassical pieces, you should find the following enjoyable:
  1. BTTB [*]Cinemage
  2. 1996 (Japanese edition has a few more tracks)
  3. Coda
  4. Musical Encyclopedia (get the 14-track Japanese version only)
Likewise, amongst the large (and uneven) discography of Hisaishi, I'd recommend
  1. Piano Stories (long out-of-print, but might have been rereleased)
  2. I am [*]Nostalgia
  3. From the Universe Within soundtrack (the sequels, such as Brain and Heart and Gene, are no good)
As for other instrumental composers: the Japanese have a very idiosyncratic style with melody, so you may wish to stick to them for the moment. How about the female pianist Nishimura Yukie? She is decidedly more romantic (or syrupy) than either Sakamoto or Hisaishi, but she does have a knack for melody.

Or the duo S.E.N.S., who have been releasing TV soundtracks at an incredible frequency. Their music is tuneful, polished and emotionally-laden, though rarely trail-blazing. Among their works, A City of Sadness and Asunaro Hakusho Soundtrack are stuff that goes straight to the heart.

Nov 7, 2007 at 7:42 PM Post #4 of 5
thanks alot guys. very informative responses.

jester: you were dead on with casa, and brother. those are two of my other favorite works by these two. also yoko kanno, im totally in love with her.

falcon: that was in incredibly well written response, thanks a ton. could you recommend a jumping off point for nishimura? im listening to God of the Sea right now, the SENS sound dead on again.

can you guys recommend a place to pick these up? would it be best to have a friend in japan bring them back for me, or is there a good outlet online(i do most of my shopping on amazon).

Nov 8, 2007 at 5:26 AM Post #5 of 5
My collection of Nishimura Yukie is rather patchy, and her style roughly follows the trajectory of New-age, to lounge jazz piano, and to her more recent pop-influenced easy listening. I think the following albums are representative:

Dream Coloured with Wind (1990) -- early new-age miniatures.
Graceful -- her mid-period jazz phase
and Song of the Earth (2000) for her recent styles.

You can listen to some samples on this site.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back