Ryder Cup
Sep 17, 2004 at 9:01 PM Post #2 of 3
The U.S. is currently behind in 3 of the 4 afternoon matches. But, it is too early to tell who will win. Remember 4 years ago?

That is the beauty of the Ryder Cup matches.

Sep 17, 2004 at 9:51 PM Post #3 of 3
As being an avid follower of golf

I think that the europeans have a edge of the americans, especially in the last few groupings of pro's

IMO the europeans I feel share a closer relationship and the particular team has been very succesful in the last season as apposed to the Americans in this grouping

statistically the Americans are at the advantage w/ strong players
however if you look through the last 4-5 months, none of the players really "shined" excpt maybe tiger, but again he's not at the top form. (almost playing like a rusty seve ballesteros)
Based on statistics, you have alot of top major winners, such as Toms, Furyk, Love, Mickleson, Woods and a couple consistant players such as Funk and Dimarco
however, I think the europeans have a more-consistant team who seem to have alot of players who rival for contention event in/event out

I personally am surprised that Bjorn is not playing, as he is a tough competitor and doesn't buckle too badly under pressure. I'm glad Monty is back and hopefully he will step up his game, (rather than just brining in an old horse failing miserably such as Faldo and Seve)
In this european grouping, if you were to place most of these guys in a tourny, would ususally place pretty close to each other

I am a big fan of Clarke, Donald Harrington Jimenez, Westwood (when he's on his game) and garcia
IMO Langer still has game to play this competition (and probably one of the strongest resume's a captain ever had)
Also what makes this team strong, is that most of them have had at least a few european wins this year, though competition isn't a great as the PGA of america, tis still quite a feat

IMO too bad Jesper and Olazable lost form, as they were at one point some surpurb iron players and were exciting Ryder members

however, I do wish they almgamate some sort of europe/rest of world team, vs USA

or a 3 way, where the rest of world/europe/usa could play

Imagine a team with the current usa/europe and a team consistaning of: Ernie, Vj, Weir, Appleby, Marayama, KJ Choi etc...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back