RWBY Headphones
Sep 24, 2013 at 8:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

yum16

New Head-Fier
This is just a quick question, I don't plan I making these anytime soon as I am a complete newbie to the audiophile world, but what would it take and what would the cost be to 3D print headphones that look like the ones in my profile picture and then further put decent drivers, ear cushions, wiring, and cables into it? For those who don't know, the headphone design is from an anime-style online web series called RWBY. This: http://images.wikia.com/rwby/images/b/be/Ruby_headphones.jpg is the best picture I could find of the headphones in the actual show. My profile picture is a fan made set of them, but ever since I saw them, I've wanted a real life copy of them, and it doesn't seem like Roosterteeth is going to be making them anytime soon, as they aren't a headphone company. 

Sep 26, 2013 at 2:14 PM Post #3 of 9
Someone used to make (maybe still does) aftermarket aluminum cups for Grado headphones that sort of kind of looked sort of kind of like those. 

I am not 100% sure of the name, but maybe Uncle Wilson? 
They may not be available any more. 

In any event those headphones do not look so different from PS1000, which are rumored to sound good straight out of the box. 

Sep 26, 2013 at 9:40 PM Post #4 of 9
Right now, I'm not really concerned with the sound quality, I just want to know what it would take to create an exact replica of the outside shell. The drivers and everything else don't matter to me right now, I just really like the design of the headphones.

Sep 26, 2013 at 11:16 PM Post #5 of 9
  I don't think that 3d printing would be the way to do it. Personally, I'd buy a moderately priced pair of on-ear headphones and build plastic shells for them. 

Someone made this amazing DT770 cup replacement and headband with 3D printing, and then there's also Alpha Dogs. So why couldn't 3D printing do for this?

@OP
It's easier if you have a favorite headphone first, get the driver out then design the cup, baffle and headband with CAD, you might also want to invest a 3D printer or get someone who run a 3D printing service to print them.

Sep 27, 2013 at 10:29 PM Post #6 of 9

Someone made this amazing DT770 cup replacement and headband with 3D printing, and then there's also Alpha Dogs. So why couldn't 3D printing do for this?

@OP
It's easier if you have a favorite headphone first, get the driver out then design the cup, baffle and headband with CAD, you might also want to invest a 3D printer or get someone who run a 3D printing service to print them.

3D printing is probably a lot more impractical (and expensive) for the layman, whereas casting your own shells out of plastic is probably at least a bit more feasible.

Sep 29, 2013 at 3:39 PM Post #8 of 9

@OP

Would it matter if I used CAD or Inventor? I personally prefer inventor

Sep 29, 2013 at 3:42 PM Post #9 of 9
Inventor are CAD tools too and it doesn't really matter which you use, just export it to whatever format your 3D printer or 3D printer service accept.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back