RWA Squeezebox replacement battery not charging
Oct 18, 2011 at 1:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

C38368

500+ Head-Fier
A brief history: about 18 months ago, the battery pack for my RWA-modified SB3 got really hot. Then the battery-only setting ceased to work, and about a year after that the whole thing stopped working. Turns out the battery exploded, or did whatever it is that SLA batteries do when they go bad.

Being unable to afford one of Vinnie's new universal battery packs, I eventually opened up the old SLA pack and realized that I could just replace the old battery with a new one for an investment of about $25 and about two hours.

At least, that's what I thought.

Now I can plug it in and turn the SB3 on via wall wart. The display works, but about 60% of the time I try to listen to music, I get warped and static-y audio, as if I was running on a low battery. The rest of the time it plays fine. If I switch over to battery power the display goes all wonky and I get no audio; switching back to wall power usually results in degraded audio quality.

So... what the heck is going on? It seems to me that the battery is refusing to charge. Did I do something wrong when I switched them? Do I need to do something special to get it charged in the first place? Clearly, I did not do enough homework...

Oct 21, 2011 at 10:09 AM Post #2 of 2
Maybe this wasn't the best place to put this :frowning2:

But even so, a little more information, just in case anyone looks again: the battery seems to have "charged" to 7.4V and is now stuck there. I have to admit that I don't know what the charge was when I installed it, so I don't know if this represents an increase, decrease or just no change at all.

But yeah... still hoping that someone knows what I did wrong!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back