RWA iMod versus dock connector line out
Jul 3, 2006 at 5:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

debrey

100+ Head-Fier
Hi,

I've been thinking seriously about buying a new 4th Gen iPod and getting it modded by red wine audio. It was pointed out to me on the amps forum, http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=187196, that it would be substantially cheaper to get an iPod line out (going through the dock connector) and, crucially, this set-up would carry-over if my iPod ever broke (which iPods have a nasty habit of doing).

So I'm wondering if anyone has compared an iMod to using some sort of dock connector --> amp, such as those offered by www.audiolineout.com

-- David

Jul 6, 2006 at 9:31 AM Post #2 of 10
I Have the RWA ipod, before having it modded I ran it with the Turbodock line out which was a vast improvement over the headphone out, but It made it awkward to carry around with my amp (SR71)
I took the leap and sent it to Vinnie, in the interim I purchased a 5G ipod video whose headphone out is a vast improvement over the 4g's and fairly comparable to the line out on the 4g.
When I got it back I did a comparison, at first it was hard to tell the difference between the RWA (pre burn in) and 5g, the 5g sounding better,
So basically i did the comparison every 50hrs, it was only after around 250hrs
the RWA started to shine and the difference much more noticable, hence I sold the 5g.
I must say that the 5g is very good, and as with all high end stuff there is diminishing returns on your investment, for me the improvement in clarity, sound stage and wonderful highs ect, RWA worth it? I would say yes.
You do have to be patient as it really does take around 300hrs to come alive.

Jul 6, 2006 at 12:47 PM Post #3 of 10
So, do you think that the lineout of a 5g is going to be better than the headphone out on it????

Jul 6, 2006 at 1:08 PM Post #4 of 10
The line out on the 5g is better than the headphone out, but the difference
is far smaller than the same on the 4g. As said before the headphone out is very good on the 5g.

Jul 6, 2006 at 1:13 PM Post #5 of 10
fantastic, thankyou. I just got a 5g and line out for it, moving up from a 4g headphone out so should notice QUITE a difference
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jul 6, 2006 at 5:02 PM Post #6 of 10
Thraski: thanks. That is sort of what I expected. I think I'm going to try the iPod line out and see if I'm happy. Trying to keep the spending down
rolleyes.gif

Some people think that the 4G has a better DAC than the 5G, right? Of course, the 5G has video and is smaller, but simply in terms of sound the audiolineout from the 4G is likely to be better, right?

-- David

Jul 6, 2006 at 11:23 PM Post #7 of 10
I did all the improvements one at a time, Lossless files, the turbo dock is better than sik, then I upgraded the mini to mini interconnect, finally RWA mod. Each step you can hear a difference.
The line out on the 4g is good with Turbo dock,
On the 5g the comparison is less noticable between the headphone out and lineout as said before, also the RWA upgrade wouldn't be available to you, because at some stage you will want it
smily_headphones1.gif

If you wanted a simple good sounding set up, Ipod-headphone out and amp then the 5g would be better.
enjoy
Geoff

Jul 7, 2006 at 4:34 PM Post #10 of 10
Hi If you do a search for TURBO, that is his id on this forum,
if you want mini connects I suggest you search members HighFlyin9 and
RnB180 both do a plethera of cables!
Cheers
Geoff

Users who are viewing this thread

Back