RWA iMod: 4G VS 5G Comparative Impressions
Jul 14, 2007 at 7:14 PM Post #16 of 30
Great review/comparison EFN. And a beautifully done mod. Even from a bad situation (your accident) some good came out
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 14, 2007 at 7:48 PM Post #17 of 30
What a great rig EFN, all black = smooth!

smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 14, 2007 at 9:49 PM Post #18 of 30
I've been looking forward to a comparison between the 4G and 5G iMod for some time now.

Thanks for the nice review, EFN! My wallet can now temporarily rest quietly since a 4G will keep me satisfied for quite a while.

By the way, nice rig!

Jul 15, 2007 at 2:32 AM Post #20 of 30
Thank you for taking the time to do this comparison. I have been curious about the differenced between the 4g and 5g iMods. I'm happy to hear that your heartache has been remedied by your new rig.

Jul 15, 2007 at 3:01 AM Post #21 of 30
Too bad you don't live down the street from Vinnie, or you guys could partner up. He could do the rewiring and you could do the repainting.

I wish Apple would hire you to design something that looks good after it's been touched.

Jul 15, 2007 at 3:05 AM Post #22 of 30
I have got to say, even as an anti-iPod person, that is a fine rig! I am curious, though; how did you mod you Etymotic ER4? This is a bit off-topic, but what is the difference between the ER4B, ER4S, and ER4P?

Jul 15, 2007 at 5:10 AM Post #24 of 30
Im happy to see where you are at with your rig! Enjoy that
wink.gif

Jul 15, 2007 at 7:24 AM Post #25 of 30
As usual thank you to all.

And since many has been asking me how to pull off a paint job like that, here's the tip:

The painting process begins with careful sanding using medium coarse sand paper. But ideally best results can be obtained by dismantling the section that you wish to paint. As you can see, I use O2 XDA Atom PDA screen protector to mask the front screen and the idea is to remove the first layer of the screen protector when done so that the main layer of the screen protector remains. Carefully mask off certain section of the body with masking tape. I use the same paint as primer coating. The trick is to have evenly spread and thin first layer and allow it to dry properly. Then a slightly thick second layer. And finally a third layer which must be sprayed sparingly at a distance to get the powders bonded instead of a steady spray - this will result in Powder Coat look
wink.gif
. Takes lot of practice to perfect it - the trickiest part is to ensure an even spray pattern, it's so easy to over-spray which will ruin the look. Sometimes I use 4 layers to get even better results.

Don't use normal aerosol paint, normally these paint are not suitable for rough handling. Look for appliance epoxy type easily available from ACE Hardware or those paints which are meant for RC cars.

Hope this helps.

Quote:

Originally Posted by elmer42 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have got to say, even as an anti-iPod person, that is a fine rig! I am curious, though; how did you mod you Etymotic ER4? This is a bit off-topic, but what is the difference between the ER4B, ER4S, and ER4P?

My ER-4S is a Classic ER-4P actually. I modded her to have a permanent 75ohm resistors in the second pod which is a 3.55mm plug barrel. The all finished up with careful work using heatshrinks. ER-4B is a 100ohm ER-4 for Binaural listening. ER-4S is 100ohm and ER-4P is 24ohm
etysmile.gif

AND for the record I don't like iPod or Apple at all. But with Vinnie's mod it's a different story

Jul 16, 2007 at 1:52 AM Post #26 of 30
Wow!!! impressive

Jul 16, 2007 at 2:28 AM Post #27 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by EFN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For the record I don't like iPod or Apple at all. But with Vinnie's mod it's a different story

I know, I know... I just can't justify a five to six hundred dollar digital audio player. I really wish I could afford one, though.

Jul 17, 2007 at 4:38 AM Post #28 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by elmer42 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know, I know... I just can't justify a five to six hundred dollar digital audio player. I really wish I could afford one, though.

amusing that top end CD players go for more and most often do less and have worse performance.

I do not own an Imod, but it is on the list. Not buying because of time to enjoy, and associated gear has not been collected.

Jul 17, 2007 at 4:31 PM Post #29 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Liver /img/forum/go_quote.gif
amusing that top end CD players go for more and most often do less and have worse performance.

Well, it's not just the relative cost to other DAP's, it's also the cost of it. I just plain do not have that kind of money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back