Rust-Oleum vs. Krylon
Aug 30, 2003 at 7:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Czilla9000

10 Year Member. Still no custom title.
I need a spray paint and a spray primer to decorate the raw MDF cabinets for the speakers I am building. Currently, it looks like Krylon and Rust-Oleum are the only available options.

Any suggestions on what spray paint/primer to get? I am looking to paint the speakers vivid red. Cool eh?
biggrin.gif

PS - Stupid Question - I paint the cabinets before doing anything else, right? I should paint the cabinets and then install the driver and stuff, right?

Nov 28, 2007 at 10:47 AM Post #2 of 3
I think I would first brush on a primer like Killz or Zinser123 at the least. I think it would seal the wood better than a spray on primer. You can get it in pint cans for pretty cheap. With that white primer as an undercoat, you will get a vivid red. I've always preffered Krylon, dries faster thus easier to work with. Spray on light, not quite half coverage then 2 coats to follow with the third (or more) being your finish coat.

Paint first, touch up any "accidents" later. Drill any holes or mods first.

Post pics when done!

Dec 12, 2008 at 5:48 PM Post #3 of 3
Kilz is primarily used for fire damage, I would use B-I-N from Zinsser. Alcohol based white pigmented shellac, works great for everything I prime out, from wood, metal, plastic, drywall, etc.

If you don't like that, try Gripper from Glidden.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back