Russian tube number B82N on LD MKIII.
Mar 1, 2008 at 8:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Pricklely Peete

Franken modder
One of the power tubes is marked 6H6N like I expect but the other is marked B82N. Is this a mistake ? The reason why I ask is hum in one channel has crept up ( It was dead quiet for the first 24 hrs of burn in ) to a level that is very noticeable. Obviously something is amiss...

I'm in the process of swapping the power tubes from left to right to test. My only problem is I don't have another set of tubes to replace them with until I either buy some more (from the Ukraine) or have Dave ship me out a new pair (or two).

I just got the amp last Thursday afternoon so the warranty is valid for the power valves ( I think ).

Seems like the wrong type was paired with the other 6H6PI ? Maybe it's one of the driver tubes....a possibility. I'll test those as well. I doubt it's a ground loop as it functioned fine for hours on end before getting noisy in the one channel. I do know that in our area the line voltage is often 125 to 127 V. Could this be a contributer ? So many questions....
confused.gif

I was really enjoying the little D up till now....and I will again...

Thanks for any info on the B82N you guys can provide. I'll check back in an hour...I have to test my tube buffer (MF X-10v3/X-PSU)as well to rule it out in the signal chain. I going to pair it down to source and amp for starters.

I'll update what has happened after I swap tubes around (power first then driver) in a bit.....

Regards,

Peete.

Mar 1, 2008 at 9:46 PM Post #2 of 4
UPDATE : Its the B82N power tube thats causing the hum. Swapped from left to right ...hum switched sides. Swapped driver tubes around...no change in location of hum.

Well I guess I'll shoot an email off to Dave at little tube for some options.

Regards,

Peete.

PS Is the B82N an equivalent to the 6H6PI or was this a simple mistake during assembly ?

Mar 2, 2008 at 4:40 AM Post #4 of 4
No sorry DOA. I don't have a digital camera. I'll see if I can borrow a neighbors dig cam Sunday afternoon and post a pic.

Dave emailed me back (Sat afternoon) and is sending a replacement. Gotta love Little Tube's customer service, (on a weekend no less)
smily_headphones1.gif

Regards,

Peete.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back