Russ Andrews YellO Power Cords
Sep 2, 2001 at 1:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

eeyssjr

100+ Head-Fier
I have been sent the Russ Andrews catalogue which contains loads of hi-fi tweaks: cables, feet, lotions and potions at al.

One think i am interested in is the Power Cords they have called YellO.

They sell 3 different lengths, 1m, 1.5m, 2m lengths, and you can have it in either 1 way, 2 way 4 way or 6 way.

Bascially the 1 way 1m costs £24.95, pretty damn cheap, and the 6 way 2m costs £89!

Now what i was thinking was this. The reason Russ Andrews claims these things work is because they have "KIMBER's unique cable weave to remove RFI".

Surely that means f i buy the 1 way 1m version, plug that into the wall, then plug a standard 6-way adapeter into that, whatever length i need, then i can have a way of getting 6 filtered plug sockets for alot less money.

I mean,the cable just acts like a filter, so once the RFI has been filtered out, you can plug in a standard 6-way and bobs your uncle. I cannot see a significant amount of RFI being introduced after the yello cord in the 1/2 moeters extra extension compared to the miles of cable the signal has traveled through prior to the yello filter.

What do you think, am i wrong?

Sep 2, 2001 at 1:54 PM Post #3 of 10
Quite true raymondlin, i think i will have ot use the 30 day trial.

I know that my idea is not "ideal". The extra component will inevitable introduce noice via RFI and also metal-metal barriers etc. But i just can't see this being significant over what the YellO poer cord will have got rid of, the RFi collected from miles of power cable.

I will give it a go and post result.

Sep 2, 2001 at 8:19 PM Post #5 of 10
Hi

Heres where I attempt to out jude jude
tongue.gif

Three Russ Andrews Power cords. One of them High current (on the cdp at the mo!)one on the amp and the other in the mf x-psu.

1 Russ Andrews 3 metre 4 way bar plug extension.

Heres the biggie!!

1 (and at that price its going to remain one!)8 way powerblock at erm dare I say this:- £350!!!!!!

I'd say go for it, after all with the 30 day money back you havnt anything to lose and everything to gain!

Oh and Raymondlin have you seen the amount of RA sniping going on over at hfc website?? is it me or is it getting annoying/boring now....

If anyone wants (or is sad enough!) I can put up a review of the powerblock...................

Sep 2, 2001 at 9:02 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by raymondlin
I just want to know if it works (truly and not just because of the new joy fever).

And most importantly, is it worth it's price?

Not a full review as I'm off but yeah there were definete improvements all round. Bass now plays a tune, vocals are more powerful, and the amp (this may look daft!) seems happier. Before I put the cords on it was making all kinds of weird clanks and so on, now most of them have died down!

I see you have the x-psu well why not order one and try it in there and see what you think? Bear in mind theres a burn in time of around four or five weeks tho.......

Sep 3, 2001 at 5:32 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by raymondlin
Burn in time of 4-5 weeks! what's the point of the 30 days money back guarantee then? huh? I would rather get a distribution block as all my components are make sure of it then, and not just my headphones.

That is only a "rough guide"! They also say that if you feel you need longer then phone and let them know and they will happily extend the deadline for you, so you cant say fairer then that!

Also just to make it clear my set up is:-

3m yello 4 way plugged into wall socket, 8 way distribution powerblock (and this thing is BIG)and all the equipment plugged into that.

The other rather nice bonus is that having the satellite, tv and dvd plugged into the powerblock, the picture and sound have also improved remarkably!
biggrin.gif
The picture on Sky One was looking absolutely incredible last night.....

Sep 28, 2001 at 4:36 PM Post #10 of 10
Hi,

After-market power cables can be a very definite improvement - I suspect that this is due to lowered impedance and capacitance and not really much to do with RFI rejection. The higher-quality electronics (in the power-block) and in the connectors helps too.

Does the power cord have ferrite rings or some other form of filtering (maybe in the actual power-block)?

I'm using 4 Siltech SPO-18MF (ferrite-ring filtered and high-current) power cords, 3 of which I've terminated with Wattgate 350 IECs. 1 of these is from the wall to an Accuphase PS-1200 mains conditioner, the rest to the actual hi-fi bits.

The biggest improvement to the hi-fi came from the mains conditioner. The PS-1200 did "hum" though and using a Siltech power cable between it and the wall quickly fixed the humming.

--Jatinder

Users who are viewing this thread

Back